Avicularia braunshauseni questions

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
Good day masters! So i just bought my very first arboreal T and I have some questions for my setup. I uploaded a picture so you can assess it as well. So, I've been reading a lot about Ts already and have done my research but I only have Terrestrial Ts, so this time, I got my first arboreal as I've thought to myself to give it a try. I know avics are delicate as well especially the slings, and this is the only size I can find as of the moment. So my question now is, is my enclosure or setup for my avic sling good or should I transfer this little guy to a slightly bigger enclosure? Please do criticize all you want. That substrate is a coco peat by the way. I just didn't want to transfer this little guy to another enclosure or container as to I'm afraid what might happen. The seller was keeping this guy for 2 months already in this enclosure because he was the one who breed them and this little guy is already building up some webs inside. So please, guide me here. I just need an extra approval or confirmation about everything before I screw up. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
In my opinion, that current enclosure is too small, you need something like this:

Make a ring of tiny holes in the sides towards the top. Put in a small water dish or spray the side every 4 or so days so that the sling can drink the droplets. Put in a piece of cork bark so that it can climb and some fake plastic leaves for anchor points to that it can web. Also the spray/ water dish should provide enough humidity, so you can keep the substrate dry.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I would go ahead and rehouse. You'll be doing it relatively soon anyway. Folks generally recommend deli cups and AMAC boxes for avic slings. Additionally to those ideas I use peanut butter jars, other plastic food containers of a similar size, and tupperware depending on what I have on hand at the moment and what I want the enclosure to look like. I make several rings of holes around the sides of mine usually at the top, about halfway down, and a little above the substrate. I have a preference for a but more ventilation then less but that's me. All of my avics love to have a piece of bark and a large number of plants. This provides a lot of anchor points for good webbing and helps them feel secure in their hide. Clutter is good where this genus is concerned. I personally suggest not putting anchor point more then 3/4 of the way to the top of the enclosure if it opens at the top. My avics will make their retreats as high up as they feel secure and 3/4 is easier when opening the lid. I use plastic water or soda bottle caps for water dishes. It doesn't display as well as some of the fancier dishes but it's much easier on me when they steal it to add to whatever they are building or get them really dirty. Just grab a new lid and you're good to go. I lightly moisten my substrate once a week or so (and I do mean lightly) and have healthy, happy avic slings.

louise f

Arachnoangel
You need to rehouse that, you should already have done that yesterday. Wayy to small enclosure. + I would add some plastic plants and a piece of cork bark, and a little water dish like a plastic bottle cap. + the advices given from @Sana are really good. ;)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Trenor

Would you please up the inverted AMAC pics of the setups you and I use when you get a chance please.

To the OP or go with a 32oz deli cup. I have this species, and they are quite beautiful. The home you have is too small.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Trenor

Would you please up the inverted AMAC pics of the setups you and I use when you get a chance please.

To the OP or go with a 32oz deli cup. I have this species, and they are quite beautiful. The home you have is too small.
I hear and obey.. :p

I have used these for my Avis in the past with good results. It makes it easy to water and feed and clean with minimal disturbance to the T.

I have used the 32 oz delis for other arboreal Ts with good results. Here is one with screw on lid which some worry could catch a T when you put the lid on. I have not had that problem but if it is a concern you can use the snap on lids as well. Both have worked great for me so far. This one has the cup in a cup with a hole so it can be filled from the outside. You can also place the cup on the bottom and fill it with a dropper like I have for my latest few Pokies. I am considering moving them to the cup in a cup because the enclosures are crowded and difficult for me to water from the top.

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
Guys, i have no words to say but thank you for the effort and for making time to reply to this thread. I love this community and this forum. Everyone who needs help gets it here fast. I'll try to do and improvised everything you said guys and I will come back with the new setup that I'm going to make. Thank you so much guys! Love ya'll :)

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, i am torn between these two containers that i have, the tall one is a Skippy Peanut butter container. So which one should i choose? Because my Avic is still about 2cm DLS.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So guys, this is the end product, is this good enough? Or? She is at the top though. Is the enclosure too big for my A. braunshauseni?
I think that enclosure is fine for your Avic. If you have another piece of wood that size I'd add it in beside the other piece of wood make a good base. Then put a lot of the plastic plants around the wood. They like to web/hide in cluttered spaces so more plants and web anchor points would be better.

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
I think that enclosure is fine for your Avic. If you have another piece of wood that size I'd add it in beside the other piece of wood make a good base. Then put a lot of the plastic plants around the wood. They like to web/hide in cluttered spaces so more plants and web anchor points would be better.
just an update, I transferred the little guy to the other one because I am afraid that he keeps on falling because I just saw this little when I woke up earlier that he just fell. Could it be fatal for him? Saw him fell twice. But when I transferred him he just keeps on jumping and running fast. So i just leave him there with the other container on the picture with the fake plants.

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
I'm afraid the container with the blue cap is just high I guess? or should I move him back later after work? I am really confused right now because the tall container is I think it is too huge for him.

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
So this is the other container that I meant and I included the water dish and the fake plants for his webbings. I am so confused right now if im doing the right thing and Im afraid whats gonna happen to him after the falls. He may still move normally but im still paranoid though.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Don't let it stress you too much. They are arboreal Ts so they can jump and land pretty good. They handle falls ok too. If you add a lot of plants in it will be able to climb much better and web.

One reason for falling could be pre-molt a lot of Ts lose some of their pad grip around this time and moving along the enclosure can be tricky.

If you decide to move it back to the taller one add in another piece of wood(they can climb on the wood using their claws) and more plants near the wood to encourage it to climb on that.

You can leave it in the shorter contain for a while if you feel better about it. I would still encourage you to add in more plants. They really respond well to having a nice cluttered spot to web to.

This is not currently holding an Avic but I set up a lot of arboreal enclosures the same. I do tend to make my Avic enclosures more cluttered in the middle, but this would work fine for them as well..

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
Ohh. Now you're making me feel better @Trenor thank you so much good sir. I was really worried because he still a sling about 2cm or less and these sizes are not that hardy as what i have read. Well yes you're right. Theyre avics but didnt know about the premolt losing pad grips. Thanks for that info though. But for now im just gonna leave the little guy to the shorter container as to he's not that large yet and it makes me feel safe and secure. But im gonna add more plants or a piece of wood though. Thanks again guys. Thanks for being there for the newbies like me. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No problem, don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Until they make a web platform or a funnel they can be prone to walk around the enclosures at the top and mine fell once or twice. Scared me to death as well Op so dont worry!

Mine (2xsp amazonicas, similar to yours) both moulted now but it took them a good few months before they seemed to settle in. I did mess up a bit at first with not enough anchor points for them to web. You want it cluttered but not so you cant remove crickets. Getting the right balance for your arb enclousre takes a bit of practice.

One thing that is annoying me atm is I didnt leave enough gap from the lid to the cork bark. My one amazonica is now constantly upside down and is webbing the lid to the cork bark! Argh.

When hungry they will be tong fed so in my experience if they dont take a cricket from the tongs after a few tries I will wait a day or so then try again. It means you dont have to fiddle about trying to catch a cricket.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
No problem, don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
How long does it take these beauties to mature. I just bought what is probably a one inch sling. It stays on the bottom of its enclosure about an inch off the substrate in a small web bed it's made and to the best of my knowledge has never moved from there since Wednesday. It moves around some but not much. It was staying in between the petals of a fake rose plant I had until I accidentally dropped a dubia on her and she teleported out of the enclosure and into the bowl thank God I had her in. I managed to get her back into her home and she's stayed on the bottom ever since..That's where she ate her first meal. That was definitely a treat to watch..