avicularia avicularia

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My "T" has been in its new incloser for 3 days. On the first day it spun a large web climed inside and hasnt moved more than an inch since. I have been told she is about to molt is it normal for her to stay almost still all the time. Wow she just turned one/eighty but is still essentially on the same spot on the glass.
Thanks
Jason

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Its allright. Avics don't really like to leave their tube webs much, because in the wild they're up off the ground, and coming out of a web would be easy prey for a bird.

As long as she's got a tube web, she should be fine. Make sure she has a water dish.

-Sean

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
same opinion here. i have an avicularia spec. adult female. she looks like a metallica, but fluffier, and with white at the tips of the hairs... no idea what it is, won't mate her because of that... but she behaves like you describe yours all the time. she only moves about once or twice a week - but luckily, i can see her always. so if you've got a static but visible avic, enjoy her. some avics stay hidden all the time, your's is the better deal ;)

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, my a.avic usually sits half out of her web, sometimes facing in, sometimes facing out, and only moves if I throw in a cricket or something... which is typically a show. Avics are so cute at feeding time :)

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my avics are the only ones I am reasonably sure each time they want to eat... because they will leave the comfort of home.

They can stay "indoors" for weeks on end - be sure water is fresh and easily available - so, yeah... that's what these tarantulas "do".

But I agree that they are adorable when they do come out to eat!
a "sweet spider" if I can go so far.
With GBB, they are favorites.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont be too surprised about not seeing your A. Avic a whole lot- I have 3 of em at my house, plus 2 Versicolors, and they all pretty much stay in their hides/tube webs 95% of the time.

If I come home and they are out and about, I am pretty shocked

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I should consider myself lucky, my female didn't web for the 6 months I owned her before she finally webbed to lay a sac. I got to see her everyday.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to agree, I have 9 avics of different sizes and they like to stay in the safety of their tube webs. They do come out at night to drink or when they are really hungry and they know it is feeding day.
The only one who does not hide is my ancient A. avic male. I don't think he has enough energy to spin a new tube web, so he just hangs out.
And I have to agree, T's don't move a whole lot, so it is just part of the hobby.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My "T" has been in its new incloser for 3 days. On the first day it spun a large web climed inside and hasnt moved more than an inch since. I have been told she is about to molt is it normal for her to stay almost still all the time. Wow she just turned one/eighty but is still essentially on the same spot on the glass.
Thanks
Jason
yea one of my avic versicolors just molted. then what it did do? went right back to being inside of the web lazy as ever. on monday I'm going to throw in a cricket or two and it should be hungry by then and it teeth should be black and hardened by then.

my other versicolor that i got on the same day as the one that molted still hasn't molted yet and all it does is stay in its web and only comes out a few inches from it.