Avicularia Avicularia

SFay00

Arachnopeon
I have had an Avic since Christmas time and since then it has yet to eat. When I do try and feed it, it notices the food and sometimes will strike at it but seems to have no intention of eating it. I have tried feeding it crickets and superworms and there was still no difference. Is this a normal thing for Avicularias? Is there something I could be missing or should look out for?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can we see a picture of it? If it's nice and plump, it may not want to eat. If it's a mature male, it won't eat. If it's in a bad enclosure, it may be too stressed to eat.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

SFay00

Arachnopeon
A tough angle and surrounded by webs :( it's the best I could get. There is a Super worm in there right now btw. In my opinion I wouldn't say she's plump but doesn't look thin :/

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Do you know the last time they moulted? They might be preparing to moult. Also, if they have been fed super worms, they tend to eat less of them than they do crickets. It is a bit difficult to tell, but they don't look thin at all.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not a mature male, a perfectly fine enclosure, and a plump spider! All looks well to me :D Could be premolt, could just not be hungry. I wouldn't worry.

In the future, crush the heads of mealworms. They can bite back.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Not a mature male, a perfectly fine enclosure, and a plump spider! All looks well to me :D Could be premolt, could just not be hungry. I wouldn't worry.

In the future, crush the heads of mealworms. They can bite back.
Especially if your T begins to molt, the worm can eat the fragile spider.

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Well thanks for the relief :) I do not know the last time it molted since a friend of mine who's a little crazy bought a random spider of which he knows nothing about and gifted it to me. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Some Avicularia go long periods of time without making that much webbing, but will do so right before they moult. If your spider has only recently made that web tube, that might be another indication that it is preparing to moult soon. Please make sure that they have easy access to fresh water. Do not mist them, but instead provide a big dish for them close to where they have webbed.

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Some Avicularia go long periods of time without making that much webbing, but will do so right before they moult. If your spider has only recently made that web tube, that might be another indication that it is preparing to moult soon. Please make sure that they have easy access to fresh water. Do not mist them, but instead provide a big dish for them close to where they have webbed.
Thankyou for the info and I do have a water dish in the front part of the enclosure. Just move it closer to the webs ?

cold blood

Staff member
a perfectly fine enclosure
Looks totally barren to me...I think I see a tumbleweed drifting by.:wideyed:

$4 worth of plants would transform it into a really nice enclosure.

The spider does look plump, and like mentioned, larger prey like supers, means they need to be fed less often and fill up faster.

I have 4 AF avic avic, all 4 are a fair distance away from their next molt, yet 2 of the 4 haven't eaten since early December....no, they're not plump like a terrestrials get, but arboreals really don't get that dramatically plump and for people new to keeping them, it can be a mystery knowing when they are plump enough to molt. All of mine will either walk away or threat posture at prey when they are fasting.

You have no worries, its got a nice web tube made, just wait for it to emerge.

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Looks totally barren to me...I think I see a tumbleweed drifting by.:wideyed:

$4 worth of plants would transform it into a really nice enclosure.

The spider does look plump, and like mentioned, larger prey like supers, means they need to be fed less often and fill up faster.

I have 4 AF avic avic, all 4 are a fair distance away from their next molt, yet 2 of the 4 haven't eaten since early December....no, they're not plump like a terrestrials get, but arboreals really don't get that dramatically plump and for people new to keeping them, it can be a mystery knowing when they are plump enough to molt. All of mine will either walk away or threat posture at prey when they are fasting.

You have no worries, its got a nice web tube made, just wait for it to emerge.
Awesome, next time I go get more food I'll be sure to pick up some plants and decor to spice up its enclosure :)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
My first spider was an A. avicularia. Still have her:) Same deal...... she didn't eat for a good long time when I first got her, and I felt the same way you are right now. Some spiders will take quite a while to settle in. Just give her some time:)

And yeah, some decor will help make her feel more secure. Most spiders naturally feel uncomfortable in open areas. You need stuff for her to hide in. Besides, decorating spider enclosures is quite fun! Make it nice and creative!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Where are you buying $4 plants at? All the shops I go to cost that much just for one
Michael's. Joanne's. Hobby Lobby. Any of those arts and crafts stores, really. You can get any color and shape you want for a couple dollars per bundle. Where are you going? :wideyed:

I always wash them with scalding hot water and soap before using them.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Michael's. Joanne's. Hobby Lobby. Any of those arts and crafts stores, really. You can get any color and shape you want for a couple dollars per bundle.

I always wash them with scalding hot water and soap before using them.
That is were I am going! costs me about 4-7 bucks for just one plant. Maybe it's just my state. I get lucky with sales sometimes. Micheals is the cheapest I have seen but have the most limited selection

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That is were I am going! costs me about 4-7 bucks for just one plant. Maybe it's just my state. I get lucky with sales sometimes. Micheals is the cheapest I have seen but have the most limited selection
That's insane, man. I go in and always buy the stuff on clearance. I mean, sure, they have fake plants that are expensive, but I just get the cheap ones.

cold blood

Staff member
2016100695193914.jpg Pet store sells these zoo med plant clumps for $3.79.

You can get clumps at the dollar store for....a dollar.....now theyre not plastic, so they need to be thoroughly soaked and cleaned...but still, $1.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
That's insane, man. I go in and always buy the stuff on clearance. I mean, sure, they have fake plants that are expensive, but I just get the cheap ones.
Right? stuff on clearance is always something glittery. Christmas just ended, so nothing but the utmost tack. I should wait until summer though to grab spring items...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thankyou for the info and I do have a water dish in the front part of the enclosure. Just move it closer to the webs ?
no need for that. the spider can find the water fine. after a molt, i periodically lightly mist the web to make sure it has easy access to water.