avicularia avicularia

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey I am about 2 breed Avic for the first time.

1.My female I got a year ago she was about 2.5-3" now 5"+? I believe is a mature or close to it?
2. I got a mm for a show that molted mature 3 weeks ago.

My question is is the male supposed to be relatively the same size as the female?because he is. if not a bit larger.
Or maybe my female needs another molt to mature.

Another question has anyone of yall just left them together of best to keep separate?

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 3.5" Female A. avic and a 4-4.5" MM A. avic that I mated. I got a sac just after two weeks so we will have to see how the sac turns out.
You will be find breeding them. Some ppl would recommend to wait until shes bigger but if I were you I would breed them.

My male was never aggressive towards my female at all, Even though the female was very aggressive towards the male. He was able to handle her quite well though.

It doesnt really matter if the male is smaller or bigger. The bigger he is the better he can defend him self. Also you can leave them in together but one or the other might get eatin. I left my A. versicolors together for about 2 weeks.
IF I were you I would breed them once or twice a day for a a few days and that should be good enough, Or you can breed them a few more times, Witch ever you feel comfortable with.

Good luck to you

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Witch Avic are you breeding?
Considering the thread title is 'avicularia avicularia'...

I'd be more concerned that the two spiders are actually the same species.

Yes, the males can be larger than the females, especially if the females aren't full-grown.

If both of your spiders are 5", I'd hesitate to say they are A. avicularia, but I could be wrong.

You can cohabitate them if you want, or you can pair them and then remove the male. Up to you. I'd check the breeding reports to see what others have done.

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well xHexDx, I kind of missed the title so I re-edited my post. thanks for quote reply though

Considering the thread title is 'avicularia avicularia'...

I'd be more concerned that the two spiders are actually the same species.

Yes, the males can be larger than the females, especially if the females aren't full-grown.

If both of your spiders are 5", I'd hesitate to say they are A. avicularia, but I could be wrong.

You can cohabitate them if you want, or you can pair them and then remove the male. Up to you. I'd check the breeding reports to see what others have done.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool guys and yes the are A. avicularia,should of been more clear,going to breed them today.and they are some big healthy spiders.

THANKS,again

I did not of even think of doing a search to breeding reports,teaching my self to research on my own and trying to not ask a bunch of noob questions :eek:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I'm gonna ask you some questions here;

How much experience do you have with avics?
Have you gone to the appropriate lengths to check they are indeed the same species? Like, have you studied the molts, checking for differences in setae and other features?

Just because they look similar, it doesn't mean they are both Avicularia avicularia. 5" male sounds a bit on the big size for an avic avic male. Of course, this isn't a dead sure indicator it is not an avic avic, but I would check never the less.

It is indeed possible for the male to be as large as the female, but they are usually skinnier, and very leggy. If the male is as "compact" in the lack of a better word, that could be another indicator they are not the same species.

These are fiddly to breed, as there are many species and hybrids that look almost the same, apart from some small details. I would check this very carefully before I went into breeding them.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I'm gonna ask you some questions here;

How much experience do you have with avics?
Have you gone to the appropriate lengths to check they are indeed the same species? Like, have you studied the molts, checking for differences in setae and other features?

Just because they look similar, it doesn't mean they are both Avicularia avicularia. 5" male sounds a bit on the big size for an avic avic male. Of course, this isn't a dead sure indicator it is not an avic avic, but I would check never the less.

It is indeed possible for the male to be as large as the female, but they are usually skinnier, and very leggy. If the male is as "compact" in the lack of a better word, that could be another indicator they are not the same species.

These are fiddly to breed, as there are many species and hybrids that look almost the same, apart from some small details. I would check this very carefully before I went into breeding them.
I just assume the people I got them from are honest:eek:("tarantulainc")

Just measured them again because of comments on size,and the are actually
4.75 very easy but not stretched out so again 5" or 5"+

Thanks for all the help because this is my first A.avic breeding project

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just assume the people I got them from are honest:eek:("tarantulainc")

Just measured them again because of comments on size,and the are actually
4.75 very easy but not stretched out so again 5" or 5"+

Thanks for all the help because this is my first A.avic breeding project
I don't mean they're not honest, but Avics are a pain, and I would check it out anyways. We don't need anymore hybrids because people don't do their homework properly..

spidersnstuff

Arachnopeon
I ordered an Avic avic today to mate with my 5 1/2" female, anyone have any links or could just give some advice on eggac care, I noticed the slings were in 2nd? instar, and you took them out of the sac, why is it ok to do that?

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And also should I let them cohabit, i'll be posting here, with updates and such.
pair them and see how it goes. If she appears aggressive then take him out and pair again. My female was very complient and the male cohabited for some time.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Should i wait for him to make a sperm web, or just
let them cohabit right away?
I normally look for the remains of a spermweb before introducing the male.Don't want to throw an unarmed male in with a female.......

spidersnstuff

Arachnopeon
I normally look for the remains of a spermweb before introducing the male.Don't want to throw an unarmed male in with a female.......
Yea I figured, at that point they are just two territorial top predators in the same cage.

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you could go ahead and introduce him before a sperm web. Alot of times that will encourage him to make a sperm web faster. thats what I did with my MM.
I would not let them stay together though as some people might. Why take a chance of your MM getting eaten? I would introduce him to her and see if they breed. IF not try the next day.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry to repeat the sentiments that were made ealier but it seems you're moving towards the hybrid argument because it seems you havent done your homework.
Breeding Avics is full of issues, ignore them and you're just adding to the problems we;re facing in the hobby.
Please don't take someone's ID for granted, its really worthwhile to do your homework beforehand.