Avicularia avicularia

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all,

Is it common for a A Avicularia to flatten itself against the side of its enclosure to avoid being picked up.

I have always heard how fast they are and I was wondering why mine never seemed to run anywhere, she just flattens herself against the glass.

Just wondering,

-Charlie

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
When I first got mine about 2 months ago, he would just cruise around his cage. He finally settled in a tube web he made in the corner of the cage against cork bark. He does spread out inside the web, though. He zips around pretty quickly until he gets used to me prodding is abdomen to steer him in my hand.

Yours probably has its own way of dealing with a disturbance. Does she respond to a poke to the abdomen? I use a chop stick to gently prod my T's - I use the side of the stick, I don't actually poke with the tip.

Dario

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I have 2 pinktoes and they are both different. My Adult Male cruises the tank pretty much all night and then sits up on his log by his web all day. He has made 3 diff webs in diff parts of the tank. When he gets disturbed he sometimes runs out the up of his tank and up to anther which he just sits on. It is the only one of my T's that I Have handled. Now my Baby Pinktoe that is about 3" wont go onto my hand I have tryed directing her on but when she gets up close I think she can smell me as being something diff that she doesnt feel like dealing with and then just wont move until I leave her alone. So yours prob is just like my Togo that lies out flat when disturbed thinking that her camaflauge will confuse me. I wouldnt worry about him/her they all act different.

peace

TheDon

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is it common for a A Avicularia to flatten itself against the side of its enclosure to avoid being picked up.

my adult female does this exact thing. ive always looked at it as just that, her trying to avoid being picked up. its like she knows that if she just spreads out as far as possible and holds on tightly i cant get her up. obviously she just doesnt like being handled, so i just dont handle her:rolleyes: .

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
mine is super fast and now pretty defensive i got her when she was pretty small and since her last moult she has grown alot bigger and so has her attitude she has a hissy fit everytime i change the water dish i have to put the long tweezers in the enclosure so she can strike at that and not my hand as far as the flattining out part i'd say that is normal seeing as i have 2 avic avics and they both seem to do it,tho i could be wrong i doubt it-jason

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avic's, like most other T's have their way of avoiding us if they don't want to be handled. Mine will either flatten out or scrunch their legs up close to their bodies to keep me from coaxing them onto my hand. Yours sounds normal to me.