Avicularia avicularia Webbing Tendencies

Avic avic Webbing Tendencies

• My Avic makes a full tunnel and webs everywhere it goes, almost like an it's an addiction

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • My Avic makes a tunnel, destroyes it the next day, then makes another

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Avic webs during feeding and sometimes makes a hammok of sorts

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • My Avic webs during feeding, but rarely otherwise

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Does your Avic avic web a lot? Please post below and include your basic care, maybe a pic of your set up.

Mine creates very little webbing. I keep mine with high humidity, good ventilation, and room temp. I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a couple of driftwood sticks, a shallow water dish, sub and some moss. She only webs when feeding or when she just seems to not be able to get a grip.

--Dan

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sometimes mine web like crazy, other times they tear it down and don't web for weeks.....there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Last edited:

k2power

Arachnoknight
I have a peruvian purple pinktoe that webs a lot and a common pinktoe that hardly does at all. I actually have the common in a cage formerly occupied by the Peruvian purple in which the tube was left in place and it gets used from time to time by the common now. The Peruvian purple is always in its new tube.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
When they do web, I'd be interested in where. Near the top of the enclosure? Middle? Bottom? Does the tube typically run vertically up the full height? Recurring trends might help determine the most logical location for an opening/door.

Tom

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
When they do web, I'd be interested in where. Near the top of the enclosure? Middle? Bottom? Does the tube typically run vertically up the full height? Recurring trends might help determine the most logical location for an opening/door.

Tom
Good Idea. If you vote for one of the first two, please describe where in the enclosure and the orientation of tube web.
Thanks,
--Dan

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
1 A. avic webs at the top of the enclosure in a tunnel.
1 A. avic webs at the bottom of the enclosure in a tunnel.
1 A. versi webs in the middle of the enclosure in a tunnel.

You know, I never realized that before now.....

Attachments

Last edited:

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
1 A. avic webs at the top of the enclosure in a tunnel.
1 A. avic webs at the bottom of the enclosure in a tunnel.
1 A. versi webs in the middle of the enclosure in a tunnel.

You know, I never realized that before now.....
So much for establishing trends. :D

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
My A. avicularia has a huge 3 entrance web condo lined with moss. its horizontal oriented right at the top.

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
My A Avic has made 2 webs since ive had him (2 months). It made one at first in the corner of his cage. It got destroyed, but in the morning it was rebuilt, and it soon molted, then it destroyed the web and hasn't made one since. From what i've seen from my other NW arboreal (P Cambridgei) They seem to web when they are somewhat close to a molt....just a thought :rolleyes:
My setup is a Medium cage from tarantula cages.com with the top two vents covered with saran wrap to increase humidity, vermiculite, cork bark, and a stick as well as a little fake plant. {D

k2power

Arachnoknight
Interesting. What are peoples experiences with other Avics. I wonder how the Avic.avic live in the wild compared to other members of the genus?

Lsal

Arachnopeon
I have an A. metallica and an A. purpurea, and they do quite a bit of webbing. I've noticed they really ramp it up when they are approaching premolt, or after feedings.

Here is a picture of the A. metallica enclosure:

I just rehoused it tonight, I wanted to wait a week or so after it molted before the move. Incidentally, this was also my first escape, but I got him back with no trouble. :D It looks half sling/half adult now, very pretty colors.

Leon

rori

Arachnopeon
Mine is still a sling. He is still kept in a pill vial. Substrate is potting soil about 1/2 inch deep. My reptile room has a humidifier the room is kept at least at 70% humidity. And it webs when it feels like it usually webs lots of tunnels it can go hid in.

nesok

Arachnopeon
I've had my Versicolor sling for a few months and he/ she always has a massive condo with 3 or 4 entrances at the very top of the enclosure, and only comes out to drink water droplets off the walls. In fact, I've never seen it on the coco...