Avicularia avicularia walking funny?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I recently recieved to A. avicularias and one walks completely normal, while the other one seems to have a funny walk to it. It kind of high steps with multiple legs, staggers, scrunches up, twitches, etc. I don't know how else to describe it so I made a video (I can make more if needed). Is this possible DKS? I've been in the hobby a while, just never had a T with DKS. The first video is of the T in question, and the second video is of a "Normal" walking A. avicularia.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wAbPrEUnVo
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLhvVZk9bCw

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, doesn't look normal. Why was it spazing out at around 11 seconds? I don't know much about DKS but I'm willing to guess poking at it doesn't help.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it possible that this T is dehydrated?
That was another possibility, and since I received it ( a couple of days ago) It's been housed in a humid enclosure with an available water dish.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was another possibility, and since I received it ( a couple of days ago) It's been housed in a humid enclosure with an available water dish.
I have never had a T with DKS, just to preface this opinion. I don't see it walking too weirdly. It doesn't seem to enjoy being poked and is a little stiff in its movements, but that is all I observe in the video. That is why I asked about hydration. I have seen a dehydrated T and it walked more like this T, though after getting water that T returned to its normal gait. Is it still walking like this? Because if you had only had it for a couple days it's possible it would take longer to rehydrate.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
the second video makes it look fine... avic sp seem to walk with a high step but the first video is really kinda weird i would try and just leave it in the encloser with a a water dish or try an icu

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the second video makes it look fine... avic sp seem to walk with a high step but the first video is really kinda weird i would try and just leave it in the encloser with a a water dish or try an icu
The second video is not of the same Avic, it's a different Avic that I filmed for comparison.

Now about the T in question, she is really starting to seem more spazzy when I open the container and she has a hard time grabbing on to anything really. :wall:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
The second video is not of the same Avic, it's a different Avic that I filmed for comparison.

Now about the T in question, she is really starting to seem more spazzy when I open the container and she has a hard time grabbing on to anything really. :wall:
she might have that dks thing everyone /\ was talking bout

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
damn well if she spreads out her legs like a pancake and starts twitching its time to put her down (i really hate to say that :( )

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am having the same problem with my 2" B. boehmei mine has those weird spastic leg movements as well.

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, doesn't look normal. Why was it spazing out at around 11 seconds? I don't know much about DKS but I'm willing to guess poking at it doesn't help.
Looks like at 11 seconds the tarantula reacts to air being blown on it imo. I honestly dont see anything really weird about the way the first avic is walking.

c

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like at 11 seconds the tarantula reacts to air being blown on it imo. I honestly dont see anything really weird about the way the first avic is walking.

c
Oh oh, yea at 11 seconds I did blow at it, but that wasn't my concern. Sorry if that confused anyone. Sadly the T looks like its getting worse. I'll get another video towards the end of this week.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At my LPS there is an avic avic that walks like that, seems to be perfectly healthy so maybe its just a quirky one.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, the poor little fella passed away this morning. :( He is now in his frozen grave. I saw it coming because the signs just kept getting worse, which is why I really believe it is/was DKS. This Avic was put into an ICU as soon as I got it. I've seen many avics in my day, and this one was just walking and acting funny. I was going to record another video yesterday, but didn't have time and sadly, I will never be able to. The signs last night were much worse: the spazzing of the T was going on even while trying to just sit still in the ICU. The Ts chelicerae and fangs would extend and flex almost continously. It was unable to hang onto anything. All these seem to point to DKS, but if anyone disagrees with me feel free to offer insite. All I know is a got a sick T upon arrival. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but I'm down a T.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. Novak, sorry to hear that, I was hoping for the best. :(