Avicularia avicularia vs Avicularia versicolor

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Other than appearance, is there much difference between to two? I know they can be skittish and jump to get away when they're scared. And they accurately fire poop. (If that doesn't turn me off the species, what will?) is one better than the other for a relative beginner? Please share your experiences with avics. I want to learn all I can before ordering.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I owned/own both. A.avicularia was not only my first arboreal but, with a G.rosea, my first Theraphosidae back then in '92.
Was a juvenile. Traded after a couple of months because I fall in love with Psalmopoeus, today I have a little A.versicolor sling, a recent Italian breeding.

I'm definitely not a fan of 'Avics', first I have to say this, anyway the care is the same. On a personal aesthetic level, I think that A.versicolor females are amazing but that's all :-s

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've only had A.avics for a few weeks now but IMO they are pretty much like a A.versicolor. You keep them them pretty much the same way.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sorry, I forgot the temperament... IMO that 'poop sniping' is the only issue, they are very benign spiders. On that sense, the temperament part, they are perfect (in general) for a beginner.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I only have an A. versicolor so I can't speak on A. avic, but my versicolor doesn't really get defensive (only seen one threat posture from her in a year...and I think it was more directed towards an errant cricket I was trying to extract when she was in premolt than it had to do with me specifically) but can be pretty skittish and quite fast when she needs to be. She's also a jumper and her poop sniping is the real deal.

Agree with @Chris LXXIX on Psalmos...love my P. cam and P. irminia. Though I'm getting my first Pokie soon so maybe my favorite arboreal will change :p. Psalmos definitely have more attitude than Avics but are super fun and super fast and have a crazy feeding response...especially my P. cambridgei.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
A. metallica and A.avicularia are probably the most laid back of all the Avics I keep.
My veriscolor female is a sweety but can be skittish. If you want something with a little more spunk look into Iridopelma. My 4 I. hirsutum's are a blast to watch and they are so fuzzy when they get to juvenile/adult stage.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Referring to "better for a beginner" the A. avicularia is much cheaper than the versicolor. I've kept both and I've noticed that my versicolors were much more exploratory than the avics I've had. That could have just been their personalities though and not a species thing. I definitely prefer the versicolor though. That vibrant blue as a sling and crazy bright and fluffy colors as adults just kills me.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Referring to "better for a beginner" the A. avicularia is much cheaper than the versicolor. I've kept both and I've noticed that my versicolors were much more exploratory than the avics I've had. That could have just been their personalities though and not a species thing. I definitely prefer the versicolor though. That vibrant blue as a sling and crazy bright and fluffy colors as adults just kills me.
They are super cute!

louise f

Arachnoangel
And what goes for avics who would not love an avic painting flowers with their poop.:rofl: Such a sweet girl just look, and tell me you dont fall in love with that. <3:D

CIMG4787.JPG

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ohh @Chris LXXIX he is just in love with the almighty queen. :D
Ah ah, true, but my love for the Goddess transcend space and time. The Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) is above everything... she isn't the 'Queen' of 'Baboon', she's the Queen of Theraphosidae.

Rusty like the hard, ancient Africa soil. Not scared to stand and fight for survive, hissing like a Cobra, with a pure primordial pagan fire.

Think different, buy 0.1 Pelinobius muticus. The rest are miserable chit chats, because nothing is like the Goddess. Nothing :kiss:

Love my Viking friend :-s

louise f

Arachnoangel
Think different, buy 0.1 Pelinobius muticus. The rest are miserable chit chats, because nothing is like the Goddess. Nothing :kiss:
Oh yes there is friend, nothing is better than the Psalmos IMO :kiss: there are so many colorful of those :D Now, i dont own a P.muticus but maybe i will someday friend. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh yes there is friend, nothing is better than the Psalmos IMO :kiss: there are so many colorful of those :D Now, i dont own a P.muticus but maybe i will someday friend. ;)
You know my true love for that arboreal genus, Psalmopoeus is a complete one, there's no 'Avics' nor shy 'Pokie' able to beat a P.irminia in her crazy spermatecha period day but anyway we are talking about the Goddess, and resistance is futile, I even kiss her enclosure saying: "I'm not worth" but SHE choosed me for spread the verb, and I carry on.

No sunshine parade walk awaits me, the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus humble priest and Cult founder.

But, for the few 0.1 Goddess comrades and disciples I have here, if I have of course, a memento:

- Remember... great things are not lightly, or easily gained. Our struggle is hard because we are fighting for something great, but we must be worthy of our mission, for that the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus isn't a Theraphosidae, but "the Theraphosidae" summoned to lead our hobby to a new higher level.

Lately a lot of people started to call "Her" as 'Queen Baboon'. First step.

FORWARD, Comrades... Till Victory Be Won!

:-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Other than appearance, is there much difference between to two? I know they can be skittish and jump to get away when they're scared. And they accurately fire poop. (If that doesn't turn me off the species, what will?) is one better than the other for a relative beginner? Please share your experiences with avics. I want to learn all I can before ordering.
A versicolor can be smaller in size. If you have the cash, get a larger versi (if you like their colors), if you don't have the cash for a larger T, get A. avic because it will be cheaper. A cheaper learning experience is better than an expensive one if it dies.

A. metallica have an excellent disposition (less skittish than versi) are larger than versi, and generally larger than A avics.

Versi is the most skittish of the 3 I mentioned.

cold blood

Staff member
Avic avic vs. versicolor....As slings, versicolor are better eaters, and throughout life, faster growers...versi is also a little more flighty and can even be a little defensive at times, avic avic are pretty laid back as mentioned. As slings they both web little canopies and tubes, but as adults, avic avic often only webs when its nearing a molt (or laying a sac), whereas the versi will keep a web home and constantly re-build it. My experience is that as adults, they are both very good eaters, and both wonderful ts...versi is just more :eek: with those fluorescent colors.

Both are kept the same...throughout life.

And what goes for avics who would not love an avic painting flowers with their poop.:rofl: Such a sweet girl just look, and tell me you dont fall in love with that. <3:D

View attachment 217971
Aww the artist avic...love the look of that kangaroo she drew.:astonished:

Psalmo's are the best:cool:

But avics aren't too far behind...I wish there were as many Psalmopeous species as there are Avicularia species.