Avicularia avicularia sling help advice

Cristian22

Arachnopeon
Okay so I just bought this 2cm avicularia sling. its in a Chinese soup container cup with a small screen cover on top it also has a little coco fiber for substrate and a little stick to climb on I hear these little guys die a lot can anyone give me some tips and advice on what else i might need or on what I can do to make sure it stays alive and grows

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Okay so I just bought this 2cm avicularia sling. its in a Chinese soup container cup with a small screen cover on top it also has a little coco fiber for substrate and a little stick to climb on I hear these little guys die a lot can anyone give me some tips and advice on what else i might need or on what I can do to make sure it stays alive and grows
It would be very helpful to get some pictures of the enclosure. I don't know as much about their care as some other members, but I can try to summon some of the much more experienced members. @viper69, @EulersK, your great wisdom is required!
The one thing I will ask is, what kind of soup cup is it? a lot of the ones I've seen are made of styrofoam. Even a small baby can chew through one of those in a few hours.

Cristian22

Arachnopeon
It would be very helpful to get some pictures of the enclosure. I don't know as much about their care as some other members, but I can try to summon some of the much more experienced members. @viper69, @EulersK, your great wisdom is required!
The one thing I will ask is, what kind of soup cup is it? a lot of the ones I've seen are made of styrofoam. Even a small baby can chew through one of those in a few hours.

Attachments

Cristian22

Arachnopeon
It's in a plastic one with a mesh screen on the top

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
OK, looks like you have her in a 32 oz deli cup. That looks like it will be very good. You should add more fake leaves and bark for her to climb on, and you will need good ventilation. Now just wait for Viper and EulersK to arrive. Good luck! :)

cold blood

Staff member
Needs revision. Make it look something like this.

They need wood, more than just a twig. They also like a lot of plant clutter.

I don't like mesh ventilation just on top, holes around the sides are better.

Keep it predominantly dry in there, just keep water in a dish available. What you have looks way too wet.

People following care sheets is why so many die.

Cristian22

Arachnopeon
OK, looks like you have her in a 32 oz deli cup. That looks like it will be very good. You should add more fake leaves and bark for her to climb on, and you will need good ventilation. Now just wait for Viper and EulersK to arrive. Good luck! :)
Thank you

Cristian22

Arachnopeon
Needs revision. Make it look something like this.

They need wood, more than just a twig. They also like a lot of plant clutter.

I don't like mesh ventilation just on top, holes around the sides are better.

Keep it predominantly dry in there, just keep water in a dish available. What you have looks way too wet.

People following care sheets is why so many die.
Oh okay that's how I got her from the pet store but okay I will see what I can do thanks so it does not need to me misted? Just a small bottle cap of some sort ? She won't drown right?

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Oh okay that's how I got her from the pet store but okay I will see what I can do thanks so it does not need to me misted? Just a small bottle cap of some sort ? She won't drown right?
No, it won't drown and there's no need to mist it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's pretty much been covered, but I do want to add something about misting. There is absolutely nothing wrong with misting - I use my spray bottle daily. However, it shouldn't be used to supply humidity as it dries out too quickly. Instead, it should be used to supply drinking water if the sling is too small for a water dish.

cold blood

Staff member
It's pretty much been covered, but I do want to add something about misting. There is absolutely nothing wrong with misting - I use my spray bottle daily. However, it shouldn't be used to supply humidity as it dries out too quickly. Instead, it should be used to supply drinking water if the sling is too small for a water dish.
And just very light spritzes, on the walls, plants or on their web. Dont over do it...less is better than more.

I fill water dishes with a spray bottle, a light mist is a side effect.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And just very light spritzes, on the walls, plants or on their web. Dont over do it...less is better than more.

I fill water dishes with a spray bottle, a light mist is a side effect.
When I mist, I'm sure more goes on the floor than in the enclosure. I hold the enclosure about a foot away from the spray bottle and spray that way. It dries within a couple hours, so it doesn't raise the humidity for any real amount of time but still gives them a chance to drink. Great for more delicate slings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's in a plastic one with a mesh screen on the top

There's simply not enough ventilation and too much water in there. Avics die in moist/stuffy cages with that type of air. All things being equal, keep your Avic like that, and it will be dead in a few months or less.

Read my post that was provided, have Q's, come back here and ask.

Cristian22

Arachnopeon
Okay I upgraded her enclosure with new items: tall piece of bark I got from the pet store,some fake leaves and a little bottle cap she occasionally drinks from. I think she likes this way better she starting doing a little webbing I'm not sure it's A good sign or not but if she is drinking from the bottle cap I don't think I need to spray it oh she's eating well too. 2 crickets a week. Also too eulers k I'm subribed to your YouTube fan of your channel I find your tutorials and information very helpful

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay I upgraded her enclosure with new items: tall piece of bark I got from the pet store,some fake leaves and a little bottle cap she occasionally drinks from. I think she likes this way better she starting doing a little webbing I'm not sure it's A good sign or not but if she is drinking from the bottle cap I don't think I need to spray it oh she's eating well too. 2 crickets a week. Also too eulers k I'm subribed to your YouTube fan of your channel I find your tutorials and information very helpful
I strongly suggest you read as much about Avics on this forum as you can. They aren't hard to keep. But they have a narrow range of husbandry, and are not forgiving of mistakes unlike many other Ts.

But like anything, if you don't know too much, a small action can results in a tragic, but preventable, end.