Avicularia avicularia sick

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi i have a 4" avicularia avicularia.she has not ate for a while.maybe 2 months.her abdomen is small and around her mouth is white.i sprayed her mouth with a water bottle.it bubbled up :? need help thank you.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok I don't mean to make you look stupid, but are you sure shes a girl, also avics are known to have white stuff in thier mouths, but is it possible to you get a pic of it? Also, do you mist the sides of the cage?

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is a older pic.will get a new one.the suff around her mouth is powdery

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
her mouth is now redish where it was white cause i sprayed it.but in the second pic there is still a little white.ya i do spray mist the cage.last week i was gone for 2 weeks and things did get a little dry.but she had a bowl that still had water in it when i got back.i call it she but not sure on sex.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well it definately isn't a mature male, so when was the last time it molted and actually ate? How often do you try to feed it?

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its about 2 months since her last meal.i try to feed every 2 days.crickets and roaches.she hasn't made a web in a while.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that does not sound good, especially since it's abdomen is so small. I think you may have to actually mush some crickets up and try hand feeding it.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have never hand fed a tarantula.but i will try and i think i will use tweezers:clap: thanks Novak

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have never hand fed a tarantula.but i will try and i think i will use tweezers:clap: thanks Novak
There should be a couple threads on it, I'll try to find them for you, but you know you have to "pinch" handle the T to this right? Make sure the crickets are mushed up and just put it on the area where her fangs are, you'll be able to tell if she starts eating .

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Id would be careful with that. It still looks like it can walk around so unless the fangs are stuck from paralysis you might get bit trying to hand feed her. Or she will just run away from you while you try to hand feed, causing stress to a T that is already maybe sick from something.
If you can get a better camera somehow maybe borrow one and get a good picture of her fangs and mouth parts that would be really helpful, because if she has nematodes or some other parasite there is not going to be to much you can do besides wait it out and continue offering food and water every now and then.

Oh and her abdomen does not look that small yet.

And if she is not webbing how come there is a web in the corner of the first picture where she seems to be hanging out? Is that an old molt mat or something?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Id would be careful with that. It still looks like it can walk around so unless the fangs are stuck from paralysis you might get bit trying to hand feed her. Or she will just run away from you while you try to hand feed, causing stress to a T that is already maybe sick from something.
If you can get a better camera somehow maybe borrow one and get a good picture of her fangs and mouth parts that would be really helpful, because if she has nematodes or some other parasite there is not going to be to much you can do besides wait it out and continue offering food and water every now and then.

Thats why he needs to use the pinch method to grab it, which I have done successfully with many Ts including several of times with Avicularia avicularia, but yea be careful, read its signs and know when to stop trying.

But Ryan I don't think he has any choice if he wants this T to live, it hasn't eaten for 2 months and it's abdomen is very small, so she might as well give it a shot at hand feeding it even if there might be a parasite.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i will wait a couple more days see if she settles and see if the powdery stuff forms on her mouth again.i will try to get a better pic.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But Ryan I don't think he has any choice if he wants this T to live, it hasn't eaten for 2 months and it's abdomen is very small, so she might as well give it a shot at hand feeding it even if there might be a parasite.
I might be seeing things but it really does not look that small to me. every avic I have ever had never really got heavy. And to me the abdomen does not look shrivled yet.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i will wait a couple more days see if she settles and see if the powdery stuff forms on her mouth again.i will try to get a better pic.
Sounds good, just keep us updated.

I might be seeing things but it really does not look that small to me. every avic I have ever had never really got heavy. And to me the abdomen does not look shrivled yet.
The abdomen looks exactly like my MMs did, which was small and shrivled from a vertical view.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh well guess time will tell. Hope she's not to sick. Most avics when they do get sick it's a quick slide to death. So I think it's a plus that its still walking around on it's own power.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
her abdomen is not shrivled.but smallest i have ever seen it.will post more

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
her abdomen is not shrivled.but smallest i have ever seen it.will post more
Thats good then, a couple days will be ok to keep trying to feeding her. I hope everything turns out good for you and your Avic.