Avicularia. Avicularia, & Nhandu. Chromatus sling

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
I just bought these 2 little guys. I'm so happy to have expanded my collection :D

Nhandu. Chromatus

avic.avic

As you can see, it has already webbed everything, & it had been in that container for about 30mins lol

gargoyl52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think the avic containers need more ventilation, but other than that very nice! I have all my aboreal slings in those same containers, i bought mine at dollarama for 1.25 for 2

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Oh, come on. Don't kick someone who's already down :( .
uhhh... sorry :confused:

Where'd you get those containers with the cool lids?
I got them at Dollarama. They were meant to store spices, herbs, etc.

i think the avic containers need more ventilation, but other than that very nice! I have all my aboreal slings in those same containers, i bought mine at dollarama for 1.25 for 2
I didn't show the tops, but the top of the lids has a lot of holes in it.

Is that ok? or do they need more?

gargoyl52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats ok i would think. maybe a few more on the sides for cross ventilation would be good.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Cross ventalation is not needed. That is plenty of holes. You want to keep humidity IN. Cross ventalation is one of those things people adopted as a staple. Ive seen people on these boards that have kept Avics for 25 years with minimal top ventilation. I dont believe cross ventalation is neccesarry for them to survive. IMO it is counter productive as far a humidity goes.

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Cross ventalation is not needed. That is plenty of holes. You want to keep humidity IN. Cross ventalation is one of those things people adopted as a staple. Ive seen people on these boards that have kept Avics for 25 years with minimal top ventilation. I dont believe cross ventalation is neccesarry for them to survive. IMO it is counter productive as far a humidity goes.
Thats pretty much what I thought. Thats why I only put about 5 holes near the bottom for the avic. It was mostly to help move air around a tiny bit, but without removing too much humidity. My goal was to prevent stagnant air at ground level, & too much humidity which might cause mold.

I'm sensitive to mold, so I work extra hard to prevent it, as I know Ts don't like it either, yuck!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thats pretty much what I thought. Thats why I only put about 5 holes near the bottom for the avic. It was mostly to help move air around a tiny bit, but without removing too much humidity. My goal was to prevent stagnant air at ground level, & too much humidity which might cause mold.

I'm sensitive to mold, so I work extra hard to prevent it, as I know Ts don't like it either, yuck!
I use coconut fiber and keep the sub in my slings damp. I have never had a mold* problem with slings. I have had a couple issues with mold in my larger cages but they had alot of ventalation. I dont think you would ever have a problem with mold in a small vial. I also live in washington state and mold grows pretty well around here. I keep all my slings in vials in a climate control chamber at 85 deg and 70% humidity.

Last edited:

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
I use coconut fiber and keep the sub in my slings damp. I have never had a mold* problem with slings. I have had a couple issues with mold in my larger cages but they had alot of ventalation. I dont think you would ever have a problem with mold in a small vial. I also live in washington state and mold grows pretty well around here. I keep all my slings in vials in a climate control chamber at 85 deg and 70% humidity.
I use a chemical free organic soil for most of the substrate, then I use this non-molding bark/dirt stuff (I've had it for years & totally forget what its called). you can see some of the bark dirt stuff in the avic pictures.. its just a small layer of it. The N.Chromatus as a small pile as a hide.

I love that stuff... I even use it in my potted plants to prevent that annoying white/yellow dirt mold stuff. The mold just doesn't seem to be able to grow on it. With the thicker bark pieces I pile them to make a little hide (for my other species)... The thicker pieces stick together really well. Lilly my Rosea has never had a cavein with this stuff.

I really need to find the bag so I'll know what it is... the bag has been buried in my pet junk tote for years, as I've never really had a reason to look at it.. I kept it encase I ever needed more, as I ordered it online.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I use a chemical free organic soil for most of the substrate, then I use this non-molding bark/dirt stuff (I've had it for years & totally forget what its called). you can see some of the bark dirt stuff in the avic pictures.. its just a small layer of it. The N.Chromatus as a small pile as a hide.

I love that stuff... I even use it in my potted plants to prevent that annoying white/yellow dirt mold stuff. The mold just doesn't seem to be able to grow on it. With the thicker bark pieces I pile them to make a little hide (for my other species)... The thicker pieces stick together really well. Lilly my Rosea has never had a cavein with this stuff.

I really need to find the bag so I'll know what it is... the bag has been buried in my pet junk tote for years, as I've never really had a reason to look at it.. I kept it encase I ever needed more, as I ordered it online.
Do you know what kind of bark dirt stuff it is? I mean what kind of bark? You may want to be cautious about using anything that has bark mixed in with dirt. The reason it is mold resistant is because there are special kinds of bark. I would never use any kind of bark substrate. Some potting soils ive seen at the store contain wood byproducts. They take cedar and other insect harmful woods and decompose them with soil. I have never had a cave in problem with 100% cocohusk.

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Do you know what kind of bark dirt stuff it is? I mean what kind of bark? You may want to be cautious about using anything that has bark mixed in with dirt. The reason it is mold resistant is because there are special kinds of bark. I would never use any kind of bark substrate. Some potting soils ive seen at the store contain wood byproducts. They take cedar and other insect harmful woods and decompose them with soil. I have never had a cave in problem with 100% cocohusk.
Its meant for insects & reptiles. It was recommended to me by a different board 4yrs ago. I am aware of the toxic barks for insects & rodents.

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Very good! You will have to let me in on your secret stuff then. :D
As soon as I can get to the pet junk tote I will.. its buried so it wont be easy to dig out, esp as it has a not so happy Bearded Dragon on top of it

I tried to get to it by sticking my hand in the pile, but the tote was so heavy my hand almost got stuck it in {D:rolleyes:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
As soon as I can get to the pet junk tote I will.. its buried so it wont be easy to dig out, esp as it has a not so happy Bearded Dragon on top of it

I tried to get to it by sticking my hand in the pile, but the tote was so heavy my hand almost got stuck it in {D:rolleyes:
I love dragons!! I have 2 dragons i got back in june. They are 2 months old. I know what you mean about an unhappy dragon.. One of mine is a jerk and eats all the food and bites the other when its feeding time. :wall:

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
I love dragons!! I have 2 dragons i got back in june. They are 2 months old. I know what you mean about an unhappy dragon.. One of mine is a jerk and eats all the food and bites the other when its feeding time. :wall:
I'm fostering this Beardie for our Rescue. He was severely neglected by his old owner & is deformed all over. He eats ok sometimes, but we fear hes nearing his end. He'll get 1 last visit with the vet & we hope its not gonna be his end. But we were told that he had very little chance of survival at first, but it was ok, to try.. I do think we lost the battle with him.. which is too bad, he was a nice Beardie too, well nice to me, he seems to hate men & will snap at them.

Well I found the bag...
SoftBed
Made from all natural Organic Coconut Husks

Well what do you know, I'm using coconut husks LOL It looks like bark/dirt to me :p