Avicularia avicularia molting again after 2 weeks?

Acruuz

Arachnopeon
Hi,I think there’s going something horribly wrong with my avicularia avicularia.She is on her back again(after 2 weeks)And she has already been for 16-17 hours (maybe even longen). I do think that she is still alive because i thought i could see her leg move a little bit altought it kinda looks like she is in a death curl.A quick thing that i want to say aswel is about a week after her first molt she was dehydrated and i had to put her in ICU luckly enough she started acting normal again once i got her out.
Sorry for the bad picture but she is in such a bad place were its hard for me to take pictures of

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All you can do is monitor it.

Did you NOTICE one of your pics is absolutely useless?? It wasn’t worth your time posting.

You need to improve your husbandry if you put your Avic in an ICU. Those ICUs do more harm than good.

If an Avic is dehydrated you don’t need an ICU. Why would an ICU be necessary? Was there something harmful in your setup? If not, then no need to isolate your T from its box.

Moist humid boxes with poor venting, like an ICU, do more harm than good for Avics.

Acruuz

Arachnopeon

Did you NOTICE one of your pics is absolutely useless?? It wasn’t worth your time posting.

You need to improve your husbandry if you put your Avic in an ICU. Those ICUs do more harm than good.

If an Avic is dehydrated you don’t need an ICU. Why would an ICU be necessary? Was there something harmful in your setup? If not, then no need to isolate your T from its box.

Moist humid boxes with poor venting, like an ICU, do more harm than good for Avics.
Alr, I’ll keep that in mind.I thought it was a good idea to get her in ICU since she was all crawled up.And i saw other people do it with in the same scenario, i really didn’t know it could harm my tarantula

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alr, I’ll keep that in mind.I thought it was a good idea to get her in ICU since she was all crawled up.And i saw other people do it with in the same scenario, i really didn’t know it could harm my tarantula
IME they are absolutely useless. It sounds like a good idea. But you have to ask yourself, what am isolating my T from/what for????

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
A better way to hydrate a T is to fill a dish with water and place the spider face down into it. They will drink if they need it. You may need to bury the dish a little to get the mouthparts down but rump up.

a second molt so quickly after the first is not a great sign, it points to the first molt possibly having been not fully successful. I hope your spider pulls through.

Acruuz

Arachnopeon
A better way to hydrate a T is to fill a dish with water and place the spider face down into it. They will drink if they need it. You may need to bury the dish a little to get the mouthparts down but rump up.

a second molt so quickly after the first is not a great sign, it points to the first molt possibly having been not fully successful. I hope your spider pulls through.
Thanks for the advice,she has moved a little bit so she is partly laying on her side now. Hopefully she gets through it 🙏

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire

I did a few years in prison and talking to another human like this would get you punched in the throat, deservedly so. Maybe try to teach with a little kindness and respect. No time spent seeking info is absolutely useless, even if the picture is a little blurry. Viper, your time is NOT so important that you can't make the effort to be kind and take into account someone's inexperience. You were not born a Tarantula expert nor did you become one through osmosis. People hopefully gave you the chance to learn. Give others that chance. I'd chime in but I'm new to Tarantula keeping so I don't know.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Has the A. avicularia improved any? is it moving around, acting normal, drinking, eaten (if fangs are black) ?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I did a few years in prison and talking to another human like this would get you punched in the throat, deservedly so. Maybe try to teach with a little kindness and respect. No time spent seeking info is absolutely useless, even if the picture is a little blurry. Viper, your time is NOT so important that you can't make the effort to be kind and take into account someone's inexperience. You were not born a Tarantula expert nor did you become one through osmosis. People hopefully gave you the chance to learn. Give others that chance. I'd chime in but I'm new to Tarantula keeping so I don't know.
I’m not a tarantula expert. I do not have a PhD in such an area.

We are all learners here. Enjoy!

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Hi, you need to consider how it became dehydrated in the first place.

From what I can make out of your enclosure I assume it has front and top ventilation, so the type of enclosure that has great cross ventilation and will dry out quickly.

I assume you've been keeping dry with a waterdish. If the dish didn't dry out for days on end, then it may be that your t didn't leave it's webbing in premoult for a drink, and then became dehydrated.

Is the dish on the ground? If so, try elevating it by hot gluing it to the bark mid way up. Or you can buy a suction water cup holder that will attach to the glass.

Once or twice a week add a couple of small water drops to the webbing. That way you are providing drinking opportunities, so no reason for it to get dehydrated again.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
No time spent seeking info is absolutely useless, even if the picture is a little blurry. Viper, your time is NOT so important that you can't make the effort to be kind and take into account someone's inexperience.
Viper is admittedly harsher and more blunt than most, but that attitude comes from many years of dealing with the same questions over and over again. Surely you can understand that it's frustrating to be using your free time to offer advice, only to find tons and tons of panicked posts that lack relevant information and photos. He's a highly respected member or our community, and alluding to the fact you'd like to punch him will win you no favors on this board.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I did a few years in prison and talking to another human like this would get you punched in the throat, deservedly so.
IMO people's feelings aren't as important as providing proper care for animals who rely solely on us to keep them alive. It's very upsetting to see people STILL doing things like ICUs, which do more harm than good, and which have been debunked as a good practice many times at this point. I don't blame someone for reacting harshly to it.

Personally, if there is an emergency with one of my animals, I don't care about someone being curt with me, I just want the best information to implement ASAP and give the animal the best chance to live (and thrive.) My wife is the same way. She had a lamb with bloat (life-threatening) last year, and the only vet that was answering the phone at 10 p.m. was a guy she couldn't stand. However, saving the animal was more important than her negative feelings towards that vet, so she sucked it up and dealt with this guy's condescending manner.

Our feelings aren't real to anyone but us. They're just ideas in our heads. They die with us. They're simply not that important.

Last edited:

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Viper is admittedly harsher and more blunt than most, but that attitude comes from many years of dealing with the same questions over and over again. Surely you can understand that it's frustrating to be using your free time to offer advice, only to find tons and tons of panicked posts that lack relevant information and photos. He's a highly respected member or our community, and alluding to the fact you'd like to punch him will win you no favors on this board.
Be greatful for those questions because those questions arise from new hobbiest. New people entering the hobby is the only thing thats going to keep it alive. With out their money, there would be fewer breeders which would mean fewer T's over all. There would be less T's entering the hobby too as their would be fewer to bread them and sell them. Love does not pay for our hobby, money does. And the only thing that will make this or any hobby sustainable is new money. BTW, your pictures on ETSY are beautiful.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I can’t recall the generation (Y or Z) but this guy at work told me they use an exclamation point the same way I (Gen X) would use a period. I told him he was out of his damn mind. Don’t know what that has to do with anything, but I have nothing but time to kill waiting for someone to run across my post in the T sexing forum. 😆

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can’t recall the generation (Y or Z) but this guy at work told me they use an exclamation point the same way I (Gen X) would use a period. I told him he was out of his damn mind. Don’t know what that has to do with anything, but I have nothing but time to kill waiting for someone to run across my post in the T sexing forum. 😆
This is true re the period in texts. I had a friend get upset at me because I used a period. I told them to get a grip on reality, stop reading into text on a page. People interpret an ! often to mean angry. Often it is used to emphasize a point, not anger etc.

On the board here many, many years ago I had this one person get all upset because I used colors to emphasize a point. Some people piled on to me over a short time for using colored font!!!

They thought I was using color for reasons that weren’t true, no one asked why, they all assumed like idiots. Just as the “period” idiot friend I mentioned above did.

The only reason I started doing it was because I learned it from another board member and thought it was FUN!!

Love does not pay for our hobby, money does
Understand what you mean, but the reality is people are using money mostly for payment BECAUSE they love or like,
ie interest, these animals.

It’s the latter that drives any hobby not the former.

I wrote mostly because in the exotics hobby there is a lot of bartering and trading as you may well know.

Last edited:

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
I've never seen any bartering and trading but I'm really new to the hobby. Now that you mention it, it makes a ton of sense. Especially with getting males and females together. When I first gone T's I knew I'd want to breed them down the line so I got multiples but then realized that won't necessarily work because males and females mature and different rates, preventing inbreeding, size concerns etc. I'm still learning about this amazing hobby. There's so much under the surface. I really feel bad for the folks that go to pets mart and buy an Assorted Basic Tarantula because they are are probably going to miss the best part of the hobby. Knowing and understanding all the variety out there.