Avicularia avicularia Journal by Avicularia Kael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
What you don't realize is that there are multiple ways to keep animals.
You can keep an animal any way you want to but that doesn't mean it's right. People used to keep avics in very high humidity, very stuffy enclosures, and they kept dying. The term "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome" was created to describe these deaths because people didn't consider that they were keeping their T's wrong, and avics got a reputation for being fragile and mysteriously dying. Now we know they were dying because of the conditions they were kept in and we changed that. Now we keep them dry with a lot of ventilation, and the amount of avic deaths has decreased dramatically and we know that they are just as hardy as any other species. Yes people kept them sort of like you are, yes some avics survived, by some miracle most likely, but it was absolutely not the best way to keep them. We have refined our keeping, and if you want to go back to keeping your Ts like they did in the 90s then fine, we can't make you change your enclosure and it's your money you'll be throwing away, but don't expect us to have sympathy for you when you ignore all the advice given.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
At least your nice about it... I have kept for a few months but I have done an equal amount of research on each species I keep. I have C. darling, C. huahin, B. albopilosum, and a A. avicularia(the new one).
The reason why everyone is so upset is that A. avics are very fragile in husbandry. Meaning one wrong mistake and it's gone. That's why people nicknamed it "SADS" (sudden Avic Death Syndrome), which honestly happens to people with improper care to them. Basically when improper care and research is not done thoroughly they can just die, which probably is what happened to your avic. That's why one day it can be super active and healthy then the next day it's gone. Which is what most people here on the boards suggested what happened to your avic on care.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
It wasn't sudden. I saw it coming. I knew she wasn't healthy after a week of keeping her. Luna (new avic) is much healthier and has a much better feeding response. She seems to be doing better than the last one. Also I am not keeping her humidity high at all. Same with the last one.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It wasn't sudden. I saw it coming. I knew she wasn't healthy after a week of keeping her. Luna (new avic) is much healthier and has a much better feeding response. She seems to be doing better than the last one.
So basically, you new she was sick and you just let her suffered to death? Why didn't you try to save her sooner? She probably had a chance to live if you asked about her health earlier.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
I didn't know she was sick, I thought it was different. She was skinny so I tried to feed her more but she wouldn't eat. I didn't know what to do at the time. I also had stopped using AB for a while.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
You know, when an avic is kept without proper ventilation, the very first sign of trouble is precisely what you describe...refusal to eat.

Top only ventilation is a huge problem, its woefully inadequate. Exo terras are better because the line of venting under the doors promotes airflow from bottom to top....without a second area of ventilation somewhere, there is no airflow, just a slight exchange of air at the top...this isnt enough...its a proven fact...its why deaths happen so much more regularly with top only ventilation and why everyone stressed this...and why your utter refusal to change when experienced people try to help...despite one death already, is a sad sad thing.

Your profile says 13...how much experience can you possibly have... we are here to help, but we can only help if you listen to the experience offered.

boina

Lady of the mites
At least your nice about it... I have kept for a few months but I have done an equal amount of research on each species I keep. I have C. darling, C. huahin, B. albopilosum, and a A. avicularia(the new one).
Yes, of course, after a few month of 'research' you now know more than a biologist after years of studying ecology and physiology and keeping 100s of tarantulas... wow.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Who are you to go looking on forums for people?
So? That doesn't mean you can look for people on other forums.
I just inserted "tarantula forum" and soon found Tarantula Forum. I skimmed through the members and found you in there, so I could verify that it was the forum you were talking about. I apologise if you take offense at that, my intention was not to stalk you.

cold blood

Staff member
So? That doesn't mean you can look for people on other forums.
It sure does....I don't think you understand how forums work, anyone can search any of them for anyone or anything they like....by posting on a public forum you have no expected or implied privacy with regard to your screen name or content.

Michael Guirov

Arachnopeon
"You people dont realize how much ventilation a screen lid can provide"

I usually leave replys to the much more knowledgeable users on here regarding T's
However I have a degree in architecture and specialized in passive ventilation, lighting and heating methods along with energy efficient systems in general.
Just thought I could help to explain that when warm air that is basically incubated in an enclosed space only has one excape route at the 'top', ends up being pushed upwards with force by natural convection currents, the force of air-flow is generally great enough that the important 'fresh' air has little to no chance of getting in, let alone circulating within the enclosure.
If even just a few opening are towards the bottom or side it can make a sizeable difference, the warm air will be allowed to rise and can then pull fresh air in with a similar force.
The air within the enclosure is all connected so the further you spread the top vents from the side vents the greater the circulation.

I would also like to add that iv learned an incredible amount regarding Tarantula care from the regular users on this forum, iv had T's quite a while and have used this forum on and off throughout the years, its by far the most reliable source in my humble opinion! So much so that iv never had to post a question, just searched the forums and Cold blood or Boina usually already answerd it haha!

Forever greatfull!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
No it does not. What if they don't want you to find them on other forums? I think that if they don't want you looking for them, they should not be looked for.
Perhaps I should clarify. I was not looking for you. I was looking for the other forum. Again, I apologise if this upsets you.

Status
Not open for further replies.