Avicularia avicularia Journal by Avicularia Kael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
Hi! I am a knew keeper and I just got started with a Brachypelma albopilosum (1/2 inch sling) and a Avicularia avicularia (Female, 3 1/2 inch). I am keeping the B. albo in a vial and the Avic in a terrarium with a screen lid that i blocked with paper towel. Since this thread is mainly about the Avic, I will tell you no more about the B. albo. The Avic has eaten one 3/4 inch cricket since she has been in my care. (Btw: the B. albo sling was ordered from JamiesTarantulas and the Avic was bought at a reptile show)

Here are some pics:
IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0699.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Not sure what the question is but blocking the Avic screen sounds like a red flag. In case you are trying to maintain humidity, DON'T. Air is much more important for these. They can be kept Dry with a waterdish and LOTs of ventalation.

cold blood

Staff member
Avics require specific housing, and sadly 99% of what you read or hear about from reptile people is flat out wrong. Post pics of the avic enclosure, and we can go from there with the avic advice.

It should have vertical wood to climb, with the top of the wood surrounded by plants. The enclosure should be well ventilated and kept predominantly dry...too much moisture can kill them. Screen tops should also be avoided, screens are a safety issue.

This is a set up of mine to use as an example.
I would put the albo into a condiment cup...like this...

Easier to ventilate and the t will stay up top more...a vial will basically force burrowing....not an issue, but burrowed slings are harder to monitor, feed less agressively and grow slower as a result.

Last edited:

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
Not sure what the question is but blocking the Avic screen sounds like a red flag. In case you are trying to maintain humidity, DON'T. Air is much more important for these. They can be kept Dry with a waterdish and LOTs of ventalation.
It has holes in the paper towel. Also it has been a few days.

This is the enclosure and ventilation:
IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0703.JPG

Also there is no question, except for this: Did I put this in the wrong section thingy?

cold blood

Staff member
Also there is no question, except for this: Did I put this in the wrong section thingy?
no, you are good.

As for the housing....you are soooo close.

You need a larger piece of wood, something that extends to the top. And while i love the plants, they shouldnt stand alone...plants should be surrounding the top of that wood. Wood and plants work together.

Ditch the screen altogether, get a piece of plexi or acrylic cut to fit and drill out ventilation.

Also if this eclosure only has top ventilation, i would ditch it and use something better....not sure if this is an exo terra or one of those bugariums...the former is fine, the latter is not due to a lack of ventilation.

However, a mod could move this thread over to the appropriate section.
he/she has questions, this isnt a picture thread, nothing needs to be moved.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Ah, fair enough. I was just going off of them saying they didn't actually have a question heh

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It has holes in the paper towel. Also it has been a few days.

This is the enclosure and ventilation:
View attachment 292221 View attachment 292220

Oh. My bad.

So is the paper towel a detourant to keep her from climbing on the screen? i have seen people do that with a loose sheet of fabric but this would be the first time i have seen paper towel.

boina

Lady of the mites
What's that thermo/hygrometer doing in there? That's a red flag. Avics need dry substrate, no humidity and room temps... there's absolutely no reason to measure anything.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
My room isn't the warmest. Also paper towel has holes so it can be breathed through.

I removed the thermometer/humidity thing.

boina

Lady of the mites
I removed the thermometer/humidity thing.
Well, is the substrate dry? and do you have plenty of ventilation? Ventilation is the key with Avics. If you have only top ventilation and then put a paper towel over that - even if it has holes - that doesn't give your Avic much chances for survival.

Again: these species needs it dry and very, very well ventilated. If either of those things are wrong/missing your Avic has a good chance of dying. These spiders need very specific conditions and if those are not met they don't do well.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
This one died, but I got a new one. I used the same enclosure without the paper towel and a new wood piece. I do not have cross ventilation and will not get it. You can't stop me. She has plenty of ventilation with just the screen. The old one did not die because of this though. She was emaciated and would not eat. Argue with me or not I am not changing her set up. I can guarantee that she won't die.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
This one died, but I got a new one. I used the same enclosure without the paper towel and a new wood piece. I do not have cross ventilation and will not get it. You can't stop me. She has plenty of ventilation with just the screen. The old one did not die because of this though. She was emaciated and would not eat. Argue with me or not I am not changing her set up. I can guarantee that she won't die.
Okay then. Just make sure to keep the substrate very dry do you do not get stuffy conditions.

boina

Lady of the mites
So you are serially killing Avics now? Yes, your old one did not eat because of the bad setup. They don't eat when they get sick. That's why she became emaciated in the first place. This one is likely going to die, too, and then the next, and then the one after that… Why are you so set on killing your pets?

At least keep it completely dry with only a water dish then. That way it at least has a chance.

cold blood

Staff member
One of the very saddest, most mis guided posts ive read here on AB in a long time.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
That is not why she died. I know it isn't. She wasn't healthy in the first place. What you don't realize is that there are multiple ways to keep animals. It might not always be breezy where avics live. I am keeping it dry with a water dish. She will not die. If that is the saddest thing you have heard than think otherwise. This is not my only tarantula anyway. I have others who are thriving. Keep in mind, I'm not a new keeper anymore.

You people dont realize how much ventilation a screen lid can provide. Why do you think they are recommended for reptiles? Who need even more ventilation?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
not a new keeper anymore.
How many T.'s do you own and how many years have you kept T.'s in general.
You people dont realize how much ventilation a screen lid can provide
Screen lids can possibly cause harm to a T. that's why we don't really recommend it. Even if the screen lid can provide good ventilation, it's better to change it. Better safe than sorry.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
At least your nice about it... I have kept for a few months but I have done an equal amount of research on each species I keep. I have C. darling, C. huahin, B. albopilosum, and a A. avicularia(the new one).

Status
Not open for further replies.