Avicularia avicularia - Is this enough ventilation?

Basweegen

Arachnopeon
I got a A.avicularia a few days ago. Bought it and the pet store owner said it’s enough ventilations holes. Take a look. I can’t drill holes don’t have the tools. Any advice helps. New to the hobby. First arboreal.

7E532AC3-C57D-4F47-B220-7150145C92C1.jpeg
these are the only holes
87641F67-C9A0-4B4D-B5CE-FA50B7509CFA.jpeg
14D1DC50-0BBA-46CB-A771-C6ACEA403897.jpeg

Arthroworld Indonesia

Arachnopeon
Hi Bas, congrats on getting a T’. The Spider looks gorgeous!

But to answer your question, I personally would add some holes on the side as hole ventilation when located on the top of the enclosure tends to be lacking in my experience when it comes to air flow.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I would not consider that sufficient without holes just above the substrate at a minimum.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It's not enough ventilation. To be honest it looks like you need to redo the enclosure. It looks like it might be a bit small, needs more ventilation, and definitely needs more foliage towards the top. A cheap way to add ventilation holes is to remove the spider for a bit, then heat up a nail and melt holes in the sides of an enclosure. You can also use a craft soldering iron. They're pretty cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot and it's worth it.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I would definitely add some side ventilation and stick some foliage at various points to the bark to give it anchor points for its webbing. I'd also replace the existing sub - it looks rather wet.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Totally missed that but @spideyspinneret78 us totally right about the design and size it’s most certainly not set up adequately for this species or it’s size.

Here’s an example of what you want to create for them and probably about this size or larger too.

Basweegen

Arachnopeon
Alright, going to get it situated then asap. Ordered one and getting it delivered asap. Foliage and a small skull. Next time I am checking or just making my own. Thank you guys. Any other recommendations? No more species until my crawlers are housed nicely.

Totally missed that but @spideyspinneret78 us totally right about the design and size it’s most certainly not set up adequately for this species or it’s size.

Here’s an example of what you want to create for them and probably about this size or larger too.

I really enjoy your little enclosure. Thank you for the tips

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope.

You need holes just above substrate level on at least one side and holes in the top, the point of this is that as warm air exits through the top of the enclosure it pulls fresh air in through the holes lower down and circulates it throughout the enclosure.

cross vent.jpg

The setup itself needs some work too, there should be elevated plant clutter around the bark to provide anchor points for webbing, the substrate should be kept mostly dry, it should also be kept free of clutter as stuff like moss does nothing except provide hiding places for feeders, there's a couple of examples below.

Aviculariinae sling setup.jpg
Aviculariinae setup.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Going to get a few things like bigger cord bark and few touches. August is next tarantula upgrades. Any output? Does the A.avicularia web at all? Just wondering
As I mentioned in my previous reply, the substrate should be mostly free of clutter, the moss and skull don't really serve any purpose other than to provide hiding places for feeders. They do web but they mostly do it when they're about to moult.

Basweegen

Arachnopeon
As I mentioned in my previous reply, the substrate should be mostly free of clutter, the moss and skull don't really serve any purpose other than to provide hiding places for feeders. They do web but they mostly do it when they're about to moult.
Thank you. I will get rid of some of the clutter. Skull stays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
have some holes just above the substrate, as @The Grym Reaper said, you need to create a vertical flow

I had a juvie set up very similar

SilentWidowMaker

KingWidow
Going to get a few things like bigger cord bark and few touches. August is next tarantula upgrades. Any output? Does the A.avicularia web at all? Just wondering
Yes they will web when acclimated or comfortable with their enclosure.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
You may end up constantly tearing up the webbing in this enclosure, my avics have ALWAYS webbed the very top of the enclosure.

I've found front facing doors are much more convenient with these guys.