Avicularia avicularia - first time owner looking for tips

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey all ^^ I am the happy owner of a Chilean Rosehair Tarantula who I've had for about eight years now. Today, I was in Petco, and at the adoption table up front, there was an adorable little Pink Toe Tarantula. He (not sure of gender but using the masculine for now) was in a very tiny tank - a 2g Kritter Keeper with a plant and log - which was being given away with him, so I decided to adopt him before some idiot walked in and decided that this was a great set-up for an arboreal species. At any rate, I brought him home and set him up in tall tank, maybe a little less height than a 10g has length, that has a screen front since they seem to need both good ventillation AND high humidity. I've got some Mopani wood for climbing, a log with a hole in it placed vertically so it can climb down into it, some stiff stalked silk plants, and about 3-4" of peat for a substrate. The room he is in is consistently about 80 degrees and humid, though I'll be misting the tank to help keep things damp.
So... anything I really need to know about this species? I've allready learned that it is very fast - the little bugger shot up my arm and onto my shoulder the second I lifted him up. But is there any little husbandry hint from a seasoned keeper that would help make my new T extra happy after a life spent in confined quarters? Please do feel free to tell me anything I'm doing wrong so far, too. I did some reading on the species but can never tell what advice on the net is good advice :?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks like ya got it under control that setup sounds great,and you know what you are doing:clap: congrats on "saying" him/her,they are great ts i have diff. sp.of avics aswell,i keep mine:great ventilation/waterdish/corkhides/peat/mulch substrate(semi-moist),and they do excellent,mine all get misted once aweek(lightly)and fed. enjoy yours:)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like your good to go, the only thing I do in between misting, is I let the strate dry b4 I mist again. This keeps mites at bay, GL and enjoy your pink toes!!!{D

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, there's a water dish - forgot to mention that!
Thanks guys; glad to know I'm off to a good start.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2g might be big enough for a pink toe. i don't think they are especially active. but i'm sure yours will love its new home ;)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, good tip, let the substrate dry out from time to time. relative air humidity is not as important as misting the walls regularly (i do it twice a week). many avics prefer to drink from the walls or plants rather than use a water dish, and internal hydration is more important than moist substrate. before i moisten the substrate again, in let it dry out completely for all my avics.

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, I wish I was your spider! As beetleman said; looks like things are all set. I now have an A. versi - first T was an A. avic -and the Avics need really need a lot of ventillation. Have fun and enjoy!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, good tip, let the substrate dry out from time to time. relative air humidity is not as important as misting the walls regularly (i do it twice a week). many avics prefer to drink from the walls or plants rather than use a water dish, and internal hydration is more important than moist substrate. before i moisten the substrate again, in let it dry out completely for all my avics.
agreed AND just to add on to this, i have horror stories from humidity issues with my Avics. make sure the enlcosure is well ventilated and yes, try to spray the sides of the enclosure or at least partially spray them and keep a waterdish filled.

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Double agreed. I, too, live in So. Cal (Vista) and it's surprisingly dry here.... I had a 'failure to thrive' situation with my first avic and I did a lot of research on the matter. Despite my best attempts with an ICU, I lost her.
I have a freshly molted 1" A. versi now and mist a LOT here - but am keeping a close eye on the substrate (organic peat) moisture level. It's kind of a tough balance because I have also A LOT of ventillation holes in her plastic pickle jar which makes the misting on sides dry up - but the substrate stays damp sometimes and that makes for mold and other icky things.