Avicularia avicularia enclosure advice please

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
The butterfly thing holds the deli cup water dish off the ground. It was my understanding that Avics did best with an elevated water dish?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The butterfly thing holds the deli cup water dish off the ground. It was my understanding that Avics did best with an elevated water dish?
Some do.

I had an elderly female that seemed to forget about the water dish on the ground. For a while, I just thought she was going downhill due to old age, but then I realized she had not been going down to her water dish.

I lifted the dish up to her, and she drank from it until I could no longer hold it in that awkward position. Then I added an elevated dish, and she immediately drank from that for several minutes too.

From then on, I saw her use the elevated dish several times but never the one on the ground (unless pooping in it counts).

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
Here is my Avicularia avicularia enclosure all up to date. I added a larger piece of cork bark, which she has webbed up quite beautifully. I also switched out the elevated butterfly themed water dish holder with a more subtle as well as durable elevated acrylic holder I found online. And, more importantly, I got rid of that ugly sheet (which prevented her from making contact with the mesh top). I bought a piece of thick Lexan and then proceeded to drill holes in it and then fit to the internal curves of the initial screen top using a Dremel tool and then finishing with fine sandpaper and then a lighter to smooth the cut edges even more.
For me, this was an afternoon project, but worth the extra effort. So now, I have the Lexan lid separating the space between the original screen lid, I do not have to worry about her making contact with the mesh top. I attached a piece of picture hanging wire through a couple of the center Lexan ventilation holes and then secured it together with some medical tape (which I may eventually replace with some paracord or the like). The initial screen lid can no longer be "locked" into place with the half moon shaped plastic tabs, as the Lexan makes it too thick to do so. But, it is relatively flush and I am not concerned with her escaping as she has never in my observations even been inclined to hang on top of her enclosure/attempt an escape, plus there is quite a bit of weight (in relation to her size) and two lids she would have to lift and then simultaneously squeeze out of to make an escape. Worst case - I put a couple of pieces of medical tape on the top to be 110% certain of a jail-break not occurring. LOL. Not to mention, she is getting quite a large booty and seems content.
If you look closely in a couple of pics, you will see her enjoying her Dubia meal awhile back.

spidey123

Arachnopeon
thank you! this is awesome... looks oddly similar to my new setup 😂 glad i’m on the right track!