Avicularia avicularia (common pink toe) enclosure

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
Before I get my first T I need to have an enclosure (obviously). I know that the Avicularia avicularia (the one I plan on getting) needs a tall one with a door on the side/front rather than the top but the most I’m finding are 8”x8”x12” (LxWxH) and I feel like that’s too small but this would be my first so maybe it’s not?

What would be the best size for an Avicularia avicularia?

Any recommendations on the best place to find a proper enclosure, or a good DIY?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You never tell us how large it is? If you're getting a spiderling, it will be a very long time before you need to be concerned with it's adult enclosure.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Before I get my first T I need to have an enclosure (obviously). I know that the Avicularia avicularia (the one I plan on getting) needs a tall one with a door on the side/front rather than the top but the most I’m finding are 8”x8”x12” (LxWxH) and I feel like that’s too small but this would be my first so maybe it’s not?

Any recommendations on the best place to find a proper enclosure, or a good DIY?
Likelihood is that you’re going to be getting a sling. In that case you can use amac boxes, which make good sling arbor enclosures or even cheaper yet is going this route.
In the future we need a lil more info to better help you. Without knowing what size you plan on getting, it’s all a guessing game.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Likelihood is that you’re going to be getting a sling. In that case you can use amac boxes, which make good sling arbor enclosures or even cheaper yet is going this route.
I've got a bunch of those DIY setups running for various size Avics, they are not as durable as amac boxes or PB jars and I wonder for a first time keeper/newb if it's stable enough

As far as the "dude you're getting a sling" assumption, lol, I see plenty of 2" and 4" Avics for sale and a newer keeper might be inclined to get one of those - guess we have to wait for the OP to answer

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I've got a bunch of those DIY setups running for various size Avics, they are not as durable as amac boxes or PB jars and I wonder for a first time keeper/newb if it's stable enough

As far as the "dude you're getting a sling" assumption, lol, I see plenty of 2" and 4" Avics for sale and a newer keeper might me inclined to get one of those - guess we have to wait for the OP to answer
yep. That’s why I mentioned at the end of my message that it would be more beneficial to us to have more information in the form of size. Otherwise it’s all a guessing game.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Are we mindreaders..no we aren't. So why would you provide us with zero helpful info regarding the Avic as it relates to cages? :rofl: :rolleyes:

An adult is the best size, followed by a juvi. 2-3" Don't get a sling, a lot of people end up killing them.

There are Avic species that would do fine in that size setup. Others don't require a size like that, but would certainly appreciate the space. Just depends on money and space you have.

As far as the "dude you're getting a sling" assumption, lol, I see plenty of 2" and 4" Avics for sale and a newer keeper might me inclined to get one of those - guess we have to wait for the OP to answer
The OP was less than helpful, thinks we can read his/her mind. So many people come here and ask questions w/out providing any useful info, that's just crappy on their part.

His question is like saying I'm getting a Burmese python what size tank should I get--- Really, you don't say..how fascinating, imagine that... well I don't know pick any size you want, after all, you are getting a snake, that seems to be the only piece of info you think we need, so I'm giving you the only piece of info I can reliably give you based on your info..Maybe if YOU read my mind you'll know what we are missing. That must be how this works. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :banghead:

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
You never tell us how large it is? If you're getting a spiderling, it will be a very long time before you need to be concerned with it's adult enclosure.
I’m not sure on what size it’ll be yet, depends on what’s available but I’m curious on an adult T

Also for the size of the T, I’m curious on an adult size, as when I’m ready I’ll have to see what’s is available for me. I know slings can go in smaller containers and upgrade as they grow but with some readings I see it’s easy to kill a sling so I’m not 100% on a sling unless it’s whats available.

Thanks though!

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
To give you an idea on suitable sizes

Sling avic in small Amac box

Juvenile avic in an acrylic tank

Subadult versi in a 8x8x12 Exo. This one barely moves from one spot. And she's bigger than she looks in the photo
Thank you! This is perfect

cold blood

Staff member
I know that the Avicularia avicularia (the one I plan on getting) needs a tall one with a door on the side/front rather than the top
This is absolutely not true....whether the enclosure opens at the top or front has no bearing on whether or not its a good home...both enclosure types are perfectly fine for avics.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you can have a great enclosure using sterilite...I prefer it because I can ventilate it in any way I see fit.

I keep and breed many avics....not one is kept in a front opening enclosure.

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
This is absolutely not true....whether the enclosure opens at the top or front has no bearing on whether or not its a good home...both enclosure types are perfectly fine for avics.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you can have a great enclosure using sterilite...I prefer it because I can ventilate it in any way I see fit.

I keep and breed many avics....not one is kept in a front opening enclosure.

That’s good to know, I was worried about damaging a web if they happened to make it towards the opening

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
There are pros and cons to each setup for each species

Top opening setups may interrupt avic's webbing if they attach to the top, many often do, but can allow easy feeding and watering into funnel webs but can make reaching substrate and water dishes challenging

Front opening setups may not disturb webbing and can make substrate access and maintenance easier, while making feeding and watering into webbing up top challenging

Easy answer is to buy several Avic and set them up in different enclosures and see for yourself!

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
There are pros and cons to each setup for each species

Top opening setups may interrupt avic's webbing if they attach to the top, many often do, but can allow easy feeding and watering into funnel webs but can make reaching substrate and water dishes challenging

Front opening setups may not disturb webbing and can make substrate access and maintenance easier, while making feeding and watering into webbing up top challenging

Easy answer is to buy several Avic and set them up in different enclosures and see for yourself!
I like that idea 😏