Avicularia avicularia care

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Hi guys!

I just got my first Avic and I'd like to know what many of you use for substrate and how you regulate the temp, humidity, ventilation... I've heard some people use pure vermiculite to slowly release moisture to keep humidity up, or a mix of vermiculite and eco earth. I have a nice enclosure with cork bark and a good bit of room to web. What are some of you guys' thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy00

Arachnoknight
1st off, please send us a picture of your enclosure. All you really need is about an inch or 2 of substrate, depending on the size of the avic. I use either 100% sphagnum peat moss or coco fiber. Either one works fine, you could also use top soil, I prefer peat moss. Don't worry about humidity, a large water dish is all that's needed. Make sure there's good cross ventilation and dampen the substrate if it seems very dry in the enclosure. If the place where your keeping the avic drops below 70 degrees normally then I would suggest getting a cheap space heater that can be controlled with a thermostat. There's many questions like this one, you could probably find more answers if you search on this site. Good luck!

cold blood

Staff member
Clearly you got your info from "care" sheets. Car sheets KILL tarantulas, ignore them, they are not for educational purposes.

To give advice on enclosures, at a bare minimum we need to know how big the specimen actually is...like andy mentioned, a pic would be a really nice treat if you want accurate help.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here are a few photos of how I set my Avic enclosures up using inverted AMAC boxes. I usually put one or two holes in the top and most of my holes on the side. I use corkbark tile for a foundation to allow the something to climb on easily. Then glue fake plants to make webbing points. They like it when it's a cluttered mess. I place a little bit of substrate in the bottom (lid) and I use a water dish with all my slings.

The above link is really good. Read over it and ask if you have any questions. Good luck with your new T. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi guys!

I just got my first Avic and I'd like to know what many of you use for substrate and how you regulate the temp, humidity, ventilation... I've heard some people use pure vermiculite to slowly release moisture to keep humidity up, or a mix of vermiculite and eco earth. I have a nice enclosure with cork bark and a good bit of room to web. What are some of you guys' thoughts?

Thanks!

If you have questions about my Avic care post please just post them back here. There are many Avic enthusiasts here that know what they are doing, from keepers to breeders.

In short, your post reads like someone who has read care sheets; this is quite common and not an insult. Succinctly, hit the delete button on all info from those because CARESHEETS KILL TARANTULAS, esp Avics.

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
1st off, please send us a picture of your enclosure. All you really need is about an inch or 2 of substrate, depending on the size of the avic. I use either 100% sphagnum peat moss or coco fiber. Either one works fine, you could also use top soil, I prefer peat moss. Don't worry about humidity, a large water dish is all that's needed. Make sure there's good cross ventilation and dampen the substrate if it seems very dry in the enclosure. If the place where your keeping the avic drops below 70 degrees normally then I would suggest getting a cheap space heater that can be controlled with a thermostat. There's many questions like this one, you could probably find more answers if you search on this site. Good luck!

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Thank you for all of your advice! My Avic is around three inches. Here is the best pic I could get of it.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Take a look at my post in that link provided, take a look at Trenor's pics. What do you notice different about the plants' position compared to yours?

I suggest you go back and read what I wrote, then come back w/questions. There's a few significant things that should be changed.

cold blood

Staff member
1. more plants

2. elevate the plants, they should surround the top half of the wood...floor cover is useless for avics and only serves as a place for feeders to successfully hide.

3. add a water dish

4. Nice looking wood piece and of course, nice looking avic;)

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Take a look at my post in that link provided, take a look at Trenor's pics. What do you notice different about the plants' position compared to yours?

I suggest you go back and read what I wrote, then come back w/questions. There's a few significant things that should be changed.
Ok. I added a water bowl in the back...it is sort of like a dosage cup you'd get from liquid medications like NyQuil, etc. I have way too many holes. I can't really do much about that now. And I'm about to go to the pet store to add more plants. What else am I missing?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1. more plants

2. elevate the plants, they should surround the top half of the wood...floor cover is useless for avics and only serves as a place for feeders to successfully hide.

3. add a water dish

4. Nice looking wood piece and of course, nice looking avic;)
Spoon..... :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok. I added a water bowl in the back...it is sort of like a dosage cup you'd get from liquid medications like NyQuil, etc. I have way too many holes. I can't really do much about that now. And I'm about to go to the pet store to add more plants. What else am I missing?
Wouldn't rely on that cup unless it's weight down. If it's shaped how I think, they may tip it when trying to drink. If your Avic drinks from above the dish, they rest their legs on the edge.

Usually when/IF (not all Avics will drink from a dish) mine come down to drink half their body is elevated up at an angle sorta like below but more so.

In short they don't always touch the ground when drinking, my Avics rarely touch ground. If you notice below, even my huriana is doing his best not to touch the substrate.

Yet, he's large enough to rest on the ground and drink like a terrestrial would, but doesn't. You have to think like an arboreal.

Follow ColdBlood's suggestions on cage furniture positioning, up, not on the sub.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is this a bit better?
That's basically what I setup. Off to a good start. That T needs to fatten up.

How often are you feeding it? If it's not "as often as it will eat", you are feeding it too little IME.