Avics in the Wild

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not enough people watch videos of Ts in the wild in my opinion based on all the ridiculous irrelevant youtube questions on here.

Watch something a bit educational below

7:46 - this is why peeps shouldn't handle Avics!

9:41 - quite a good sized female

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It’s always amazing to see tarantulas’ their own nature habitats.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
7:46 - this is why peeps shouldn't handle Avics!
This is something all keepers getting their first arboreal should watch. I have had psalmopoeus do this when I wasn’t expecting it. Add their speed in and it can make for a great surprise,HA!!!

dream

Arachnopeon
What stunning tarantulas in the wild but my god, the speed they jump at is incredible. I’m sorry but even on scientific expeditions, tarantulas shouldn’t be handled. You just don’t know the damage you are doing to then, they really are fragile. Avics are one of my favourite TS which is why I’ve too much respect for them then handle them

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had watched this video a while back... and I never paid attention to the part where one jumping away. In their natural habitat, there's usually some safe landing surface not too far away. But I think that even if they're built more slenderly compared to terrestrials, they could still have a lethal fall if the distance to a hard surface is high enough. Really makes me think about how I'd set one up to ensure no hard objects to cause an accidental death due to falling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they could still have a lethal fall if the distance to a hard surface is high enough
Indeed, I have no doubt they'd go splat or something. I don't think they are like cats as adults.

Slings and juvies have less mass so injury not quite as risky if they take a flying leap. I had one do it once during a cleaning/rehousing, jumped and dropped about 1.5 m, legs completely out, like skydiving! I thought it was out for the count. Fortunately it landed into my office garbage full of papers, soft landing.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Found some 𝘈𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘶𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘢 in the wild in Ecuador while working, next time I go back I’ll take some videos to accompany the photos. Even though I’m not a fan of them personally, it was quite interesting to see various individuals in differing areas (banana trees, cabins, other man made structures, different species of trees, etc.). Excuse the low quality photos, I just had my old iPhone during the time.

56F5ED63-70D0-480A-8DFD-E02B92C706F0.jpeg 05D38925-2D6B-4C04-912B-75051BD2FB57.jpeg EA2F9819-CA2B-417D-A7EB-0AB4F0D6C872.jpeg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What type of work brings you to Ecuador? Have a friend in Quito
At the time I was working on a field based project (was in the wildlife biology field) and I decided to work at a wildlife rehab center for a few months too.

Found a number of other species including 𝘗𝘢𝘮𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘶𝘴,𝘔𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘣𝘦𝘮𝘢 𝘷𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘵𝘰𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘢, and some random ones that I’m unsure of.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
its always funny to me that just about every single "tarantulas in the wild" video I've seen, they're always tearing open webbing or digging out a burrow so they can handle it.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Great video but its like Guy and Andrew have a compulsion to handle every tarantula they find, ive never seen them not do so in any of their videos. Those two just love to handle lol

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
That's one cool video, but it makes me cringe when they wreck the spiders home, and all the hours of webbing that gets destroyed. I don't mind them coaxing the spider out of its home to have a better look, but I don't like to see their home destroyed in the process.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
That's one cool video, but it makes me cringe when they wreck the spiders home, and all the hours of webbing that gets destroyed. I don't mind them coaxing the spider out of its home to have a better look, but I don't like to see their home destroyed in the process.
I looked up the PETA number for you: 1 (757) 622-7382
I wonder if they have an invert division? Cats and dogs have more clout I guess.

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
I looked up the PETA number for you: 1 (757) 622-7382
I wonder if they have an invert division? Cats and dogs have more clout I guess.
Lol! I know it doesn't do them any harm, but I don't even like removing cobwebs from house spiders at home lol! It just seems a shame. I guess it's just me being weird. I love Guy Tansley and Andrew Smith too.