Avic

bloodpythonMA

Arachnosquire
Just wondering if anyone had any idea if this was within the normal realm of normal for an avicularia avicularia or whether it was something else? I helped a vendor at the whiteplains reptile expo move some H. lividum into clear containers because they were afraid to. So he gave my friend a good deal on this and another that looks similar. :D
I'm leaning towards Avicularia metallica, after looking through a bunch of pics but wanted a second opinion.

Also was wondering about Avicularia minatrix. Anyone have experience with them. Do they tend to be docile? Do they grow slow or quickly? I really like them, but a lot of the ones I've seen for sale are small and I don't fully trust myself to raise one from such a small size.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
..Possibly metallica but probably Avic.avic.

Last edited:

bloodpythonMA

Arachnosquire
Sorry, should have been more clear. I know that the pictured specimen is not an A. minatrix. Was wondering whether or not it was an A. metallica or ???? :?

I am just interested in A. minatrix and was wondering if anyone had info on them. :D

Sorry for the confusion :eek:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That pattern on the abdomen definitely doesn't look like any A. Avicularia that i've seen....

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haven't seen any slings really. Maybe 4"? It's hard to tell what size that one is on my evo.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Oops. I found a picture of a 2" A. Avicularia and it looks pretty close.

bloodpythonMA

Arachnosquire
So the general consensus is wait until it molts a couple more times?
Because I've seen juvies labeled avicularia avicularia that look like this and I've also seen the majority of avicularia metallica subadults look like this.
Thanks for the kind words :)
That one I actually my friends and I picked up 2 versicolors as well as a couple other T's :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So the general consensus is wait until it molts a couple more times?
Because I've seen juvies labeled avicularia avicularia that look like this and I've also seen the majority of avicularia metallica subadults look like this.
Thanks for the kind words :)
That one I actually my friends and I picked up 2 versicolors as well as a couple other T's :D
Where have you seen subadult A. metallica that look like that?

ArachnidJackson

Arachnopeon
IMO this is neither a avicularia or metallica. Not even close. Minatrix would be your best bet out of the 3.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO this is neither a avicularia or metallica. Not even close. Minatrix would be your best bet out of the 3.
Read this....

Sorry, should have been more clear. I know that the pictured specimen is not an A. minatrix. Was wondering whether or not it was an A. metallica or ???? :?

I am just interested in A. minatrix and was wondering if anyone had info on them. :D

Sorry for the confusion :eek:

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its an avic avic, its next molt it will turn blue with the red abdomen

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

sorry for the blurry shots but this was my avic avic that i thought was some other avic and got all excited lol alas its next molt confirmed it as avic avic ;)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well then, unfortunatly I'm gonna be the partypooper here and say that it's too early to say. I know at least 5 different "species"(meaning they all grew into different colours and sizes) of avicularia who has that pattern and colour at that size. The pattern on the "abdomen" is very common in young avicularia, and in most species it disappears/become very faded when they near maturity.

I can however tell you what it's not, but it seems you already know that.

bloodpythonMA

Arachnosquire
Well then, unfortunatly I'm gonna be the partypooper here and say that it's too early to say. I know at least 5 different "species"(meaning they all grew into different colours and sizes) of avicularia who has that pattern and colour at that size. The pattern on the "abdomen" is very common in young avicularia, and in most species it disappears/become very faded when they near maturity.

I can however tell you what it's not, but it seems you already know that.
Kinda figured :rolleyes: I'll try to take some pics after the next couple molts and post then for a better chance at ID'ing.

Now, for the a. minatrix, does anyone know about how many a sack produces for this species? Any info on them is appreciated :D

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now, for the a. minatrix, does anyone know about how many a sack produces for this species? Any info on them is appreciated :D
I wouldn't know about that, but I do think Joe(CAK) might be sitting on a sac now, if I remember correctly. If it's not him, I am sure he knows who it is, I could have sworn he mentioned it..

Also, they are considered a dwarf species, so they don't grow very big. They keep something very similar to sling colouration all through their lives. They're kept similar to any avic, and do tend to be a bit on the skittish side (at lteast the ones I've met).

They are a stunning species, I really hope to get my claws on some soon.

ArachnidJackson

Arachnopeon
A. avic?

its an avic avic, its next molt it will turn blue with the red abdomen

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

sorry for the blurry shots but this was my avic avic that i thought was some other avic and got all excited lol alas its next molt confirmed it as avic avic ;)

How can you say this is a general looking A. avic? This looks nothing like any in my collection or any that I have ever seen.
Please give me more information regarding this, thank you.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How can you say this is a general looking A. avic? This looks nothing like any in my collection or any that I have ever seen.
Please give me more information regarding this, thank you.
They lose this pattern after they reach a certain size. I think ~3". My 3.5" doesn't have it. Have you seen or owned any under the 3" mark?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks just like a juvie Avic.avic.They lose the pattern and turn a more solid color from about 3 inches and up..Every avic sling we have raised has looked like that at some point in its life..

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
That looks just like a juvie Avic.avic.They lose the pattern and turn a more solid color from about 3 inches and up..Every avic sling we have raised has looked like that at some point in its life..

Yes, I have an Avic amazonica and she looks exactly like this. She is about 2" and molted just recently, still looks the same. Our Avic Versicolor has the pattern but she is blue.