avic

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
i have an a.avic and it lives in my basement, it has not made a web, it hasn't eaten, its temp is 65 to 67 deg, is anything wrong? how can i change the temp?
James Kakos

:confused:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there anyway you could move it out of the basement? Basements are usuallythe coldest part of the house. Whatever youdo do not use a lamp. Heatpads can sometimes be used. THere are more people on this site that have had experience with heating pads but never use a heating rock that goes inside the aquarium like you would use for a lizard and never use a lamp. THe spider will quickly dessicate.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T-lover,

Is there a hotwater heater in the basement or the central heating unit? These areas stay warmer.

Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
what about a red lamp, i cant take it from the b-ment b/c my mom doesn't want no spider living there, i am only 12, i really care for this spider,it has 2 branches, some spanish moss, and some some substrate, should i change its cage? please help!
James Kakos :? :8o

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cage size

What are you using for a tank/cage - what size? I found that with my avic in a ten gal tank with screen top (3/4 covered with plastic wrap) and a 30 watt black light spot in one corner and heat pad on bottom on other side, I can maintain 73 deg. Humidity is 75 -85% with misting.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
First, the temp is too cold - gotta mantain at least 70. Not eating or building a web is probably due to the temp.
What is your basement like? Is it a finished basement or is it one of those "I'm afraid to go in there" sort of basements that is always dark, damp and stale? If it is one of the later you could end up having all sorts of problems with the T because of mold and fungus. Avics are prone to having lots of problems with stale air as their usual living habitat, while humid, is general very well venilated with breezes. Another fear if you have the later type of basement is that your T could be attacked by other things living there - namely centipedes. If you must keep the spider in this type of a basement you will need to put a bit of work into setting up an environment that is healthier for it. I would recommend picking out the dryest, warmest spot - like Mr T said, perhaps near the hot water heater. Clean the area very well and set up a table just to keep the T on. A small card table or end table would work. Grease up the legs of the table to keep any of the other basement critters from climbing up onto it. Hang a shop light over it to provide decent light - even though the T doesn't need the light, you will to be able to properly check in on and care for it.
As for heat, since most avics rarely venture onto the substrate I have found that using a heating pad under their tank usually won't harm them and it will raise the temp nicely but the substrate needs to be kept damp at all times. You will also have to monitor the temp and humidity carefully for the first few days to make sure you get things just right. You can partially cover the tank top with plastic wrap to increase humidity and heat but be careful that you don't cut off air circulation.
Is your avic a sling or an adult? If adult, do you know the sex? If it is a mature male he may be on his way out anyway and nothing you do will change that, you can only hope to make him as comfortable as possible for his last days or find someone who has a female they want to breed.
Good luck.

Gail

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
re:

it is 3" a juvie, i will try and get a pic on his cage and him/her, the basement is not dirty or messed up, it is pretty cold, should i clean his cage and put in live plants and fix it up? he fell off the glass into the substrate once, would that be any impact on how he is doing right now?
thanks,
James Kakos:D

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I just had a thought on the cold basement - a lot of people close the heater vents from the furnace that exit into the basement because they don't need to heat the basement and / or they want to save a few dollars a month on gas bills. These vents are usually located directly on the metal heating ducts that exit the furnace and then dissappear up into your walls. Might want to check them and open them up if they are closed.

Gail

PS - make sure you ask your mom or dad before you do ANYTHING to your furnace.

Last edited: