Avic Ventilation

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
So, I know the key point for avics is to not let their enclosure stuff up and provide a lot of ventilation. I measured this one’s DLS and it’s just over 1.5”. Should I add some more vent holes on her enclosure? Two sides have 3 rows of holes. Should I do all 4? I’ve just been filling her water dish and there hasn’t been any buildup or condensation.

Attachments

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
I think that doing all four sides wouldn’t hurt, especially since the substrate is moist. But the holes you have are also fine. As long as the water dish is full the T won’t dehydrate. But don’t worry too much, by 1.5” avics usually aren’t quite so fragile

Salepet91

Arachnopeon
Pretty sure thats enough!
Btw hello to all tarantula lovers, just registred on forum! :)

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
I think that doing all four sides wouldn’t hurt, especially since the substrate is moist. But the holes you have are also fine. As long as the water dish is full the T won’t dehydrate. But don’t worry too much, by 1.5” avics usually aren’t quite so fragile
Thanks so much. She’s already webbed so much and is very active. Next I’m rehousing t. violaceus :/ your dumpy is adorable btw!

Pretty sure thats enough!
Btw hello to all tarantula lovers, just registred on forum! :)
Thanks! Welcome. There’s so much to learn here, it’s a great space. Do you have a large collection?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@olivianicole I would add a row on each side as low down near thhe sunbstrate level as possible and then a bunch on the lid. This type of airflow will cycle air in the bottom and out the top with a temperature cycling and gradient. It is a more active airflow then purely side ventilation.

Salepet91

Arachnopeon
Well i have some t's..2x P. Cambridgei, P. Irminia, 2x H Maculata, Y Diversipes, C Versicolor, P Sazimai, B Boehmei, T Albopilosus, x2 Sp Hati Hati, O Violaceopes..
I'm from Serbia, and actually im obssesed with Old World T's, but ofc there are plenty New World that are awesome. :)

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
@olivianicole I would add a row on each side as low down near thhe sunbstrate level as possible and then a bunch on the lid. This type of airflow will cycle air in the bottom and out the top with a temperature cycling and gradient. It is a more active airflow then purely side ventilation.
Alrighty. I just did that with my soldering iron. I think that looks perfect actually and will help the substrate dry out.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Alrighty. I just did that with my soldering iron. I think that looks perfect actually and will help the substrate dry out.
Was the substrate moist? Aviculariinae do best on basically completely dry substrate with a water dish and no misting :D

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Well i have some t's..2x P. Cambridgei, P. Irminia, 2x H Maculata, Y Diversipes, C Versicolor, P Sazimai, B Boehmei, T Albopilosus, x2 Sp Hati Hati, O Violaceopes..
I'm from Serbia, and actually im obssesed with Old World T's, but ofc there are plenty New World that are awesome. :)
Wow! That’s a great collection. I have B. boehmei, T. albopilosus, B. hamorii, T. violaceus, and now A. Avic and G. Pulchra. I have yet to get any old worlds as you can see lol.

Was the substrate moist? Aviculariinae do best on basically completely dry substrate with a water dish and no misting :D
Just a filled water dish that spilled over and made part of the substrate moist. I have not misted her at all. I did drop some droplets down the side and on her cork, but I just switched to a bottle cap as a water dish.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just a filled water dish that spilled over and made part of the substrate moist. I have not misted her at all. I did drop some droplets down the side and on her cork, but I just switched to a bottle cap as a water dish.
Ohhhh okay yeah don’t worry about that!! That’s no biggie! And good on the no misting!!

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Ohhhh okay yeah don’t worry about that!! That’s no biggie! And good on the no misting!!
Okay, great. And I hate to keep replying, but any comments on my t. violaceus sling’s next house. It’s a small sling but just molted and is going from this little deli cup (that i got it in) to this bigger 50 dram vial. I’m scared I may have put too many vent holes in this one now...

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Okay, great. And I hate to keep replying, but any comments on my t. violaceus sling’s next house. It’s a small sling but just molted and is going from this little deli cup (that i got it in) to this bigger 50 dram vial. I’m scared I may have put too many vent holes in this one now...
How big is it? Theres no problem with possibly too much ventilation holes, for the Psalmopoeinae group I actually like having some extra ventilation kinda like how I said before as they like moisture in the substrate.
I asked how big it was as it may be able to go into something a little bit larger.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
How big is it? Theres no problem with possibly too much ventilation holes, for the Psalmopoeinae group I actually like having some extra ventilation kinda like how I said before as they like moisture in the substrate.
I asked how big it was as it may be able to go into something a little bit larger.
Horrible view there but you can kind of see the legs. I just tried to measure and it is around an inch. I’ll probably have to rehouse it again in the near future, but I just wanted to get it in something with vertical space and decoration, it’s constantly at the top of that tiny deli cup meant more for a terrestrial sling.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Horrible view there but you can kind of see the legs. I just tried to measure and it is around an inch. I’ll probably have to rehouse it again in the near future, but I just wanted to get it in something with vertical space and decoration, it’s constantly at the top of that tiny deli cup meant more for a terrestrial sling.
I mean theres no harm putting it in that dram vial, but you will likely have to rehouse very soon after, If its around 1in you could probably put it into something like your Avicularia’s. They are extremely fast and will use the room and you won’t have to rehouse as soon.
When mine hit around 1in they went into this size from a dram vial/deli cup B98C5259-13F2-431B-91DC-1097AC2BFD75.jpeg

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
I mean theres no harm putting it in that dram vial, but you will likely have to rehouse very soon after, If its around 1in you could probably put it into something like your Avicularia’s. They are extremely fast and will use the room and you won’t have to rehouse as soon.
When mine hit around 1in they went into this size from a dram vial/deli cup View attachment 375965
Oh wow that’s a big upgrade. And I did just end up putting it in the dram right after I sent my last message. Rehousing was slightly stressful but actually worked well. I used a cup with poking holes and a bobby pin and it pretty much teleported into its new home. You can half see here, not a very big T, just leggy. I think this will work for now, but you’re right it’s pretty small and will have to rehouse soon. Already have some better humidity in there though.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, I know the key point for avics is to not let their enclosure stuff up and provide a lot of ventilation. I measured this one’s DLS and it’s just over 1.5”. Should I add some more vent holes on her enclosure? Two sides have 3 rows of holes. Should I do all 4? I’ve just been filling her water dish and there hasn’t been any buildup or condensation.
It's NICE to see a new Avic owner with a decent setup, and understand venting. You could add more holes to all 4 sides, not necessary. Personally I always do it.

You have too much sub in there. You only need 1/4" of sub w/Avics, they are arboreal- as you know. The additional sub you have in there doesn't give your T more room as it grows. Just remove it. The only reason I have sub in my Avic setups is to catch their boli and poop.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You basically only need to make a single or double row of holes on all 4 sides just above substrate level and then a bunch of holes in the top/lid, as warm air leaves the top/lid it pulls through fresh air via the holes in the bottom and circulates it throughout the entire enclosure. I see too many enclosures on here that look like they were on the receiving end of a strafing run from a Stormtalon Gunship and there's just no need for it.

cross vent.jpg

Just a filled water dish that spilled over and made part of the substrate moist.
That's fine, overflowing the dish won't hurt, just don't moisten more than 1/3 of the substrate and you're good.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh wow that’s a big upgrade. And I did just end up putting it in the dram right after I sent my last message. Rehousing was slightly stressful but actually worked well. I used a cup with poking holes and a bobby pin and it pretty much teleported into its new home. You can half see here, not a very big T, just leggy. I think this will work for now, but you’re right it’s pretty small and will have to rehouse soon. Already have some better humidity in there though.
It'll be easier for yourself if you house the T.violaceus a bit bigger than you would other spiders of the same size. They can be flighty and nervous, especially when they haven't made a nest yet. Also, not sure who it was on here, but I've read comments that a squarish enclosure is better for fast arboreal species than a round one. They're more likely to stop in the corners. :lol:

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
You basically only need to make a single or double row of holes on all 4 sides just above substrate level and then a bunch of holes in the top/lid, as warm air leaves the top/lid it pulls through fresh air via the holes in the bottom and circulates it throughout the entire enclosure. I see too many enclosures on here that look like they were on the receiving end of a strafing run from a Stormtalon Gunship and there's just no need for it.

View attachment 376027

That's fine, overflowing the dish won't hurt, just don't moisten more than 1/3 of the substrate and you're good.
That’s hilarious. I have also seen a lot of enclosures that look like they have no rhyme or reason as to where the vent holes go. And what you explained/modeled there is pretty much exactly what I did. After more thought I added holes on the top lid and two rows on the bottom near the substrate. I think that should provide better cross and circulatory ventilation.

It's NICE to see a new Avic owner with a decent setup, and understand venting. You could add more holes to all 4 sides, not necessary. Personally I always do it.

You have too much sub in there. You only need 1/4" of sub w/Avics, they are arboreal- as you know. The additional sub you have in there doesn't give your T more room as it grows. Just remove it. The only reason I have sub in my Avic setups is to catch their boli and poop.

Got it. Thanks.

It'll be easier for yourself if you house the T.violaceus a bit bigger than you would other spiders of the same size. They can be flighty and nervous, especially when they haven't made a nest yet. Also, not sure who it was on here, but I've read comments that a squarish enclosure is better for fast arboreal species than a round one. They're more likely to stop in the corners. :lol:
This first molt I saw I swear it doubled in size after. And somehow became even more bolty and flighty. Looks like I’ll be taking a trip to the container store lol, I’ve definitely heard of and seen them escape much easier in rounded enclosures.

Last edited by a moderator: