Avic to small for his/her cage?

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Justin that is a fantastic looking arboreal enclosure you have made. I think you have answered your own question by asking. So yes in my own personal experience I would say that for a juvenille spider of that size the enclosure is too big. For an avic of that size I usually use craft cubes from michaels or other craft suppliers or tall candy containers, recently I bought some chocolate from costco and I am going to use the container to rehouse an avic almost the same size as yours pictured, it is about 10 inches high and 5 inches in diameter.

justinherran

Arachnopeon
i have a small critter keeper i kept my baby corn snake in until i moved it to a 40 gallon, could i use that? i could post a picture if that helps.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes KK's can be used. What I have done in the past is made a similar lid like the one you pictured but smaller so that the KK can be stood on end giving more height. I just find at that size for me it is easier to have a smaller enclosure for feeding and cleaning purposes.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is that tank? If it is more than 10 gallons it will most likely always be a bit too big for it. They stay pretty small even as adults.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
curiousme its exactly 10 gallons.

Leviticus thanks bud
We just got an A. avicularia to put in a 10 gallon planted enclosure that we made for an A. metallica(which get bigger) and honestly if we didn't have that tank already set up for an Avicularia species, we would prefer a 5.5 gallon for it. Not because there is anything wrong with having it in an enclosure that big, just that it is a 10 gallon that could have an appropriate sized T in it, but it is so beautifully grown wild with plants that we are loathe to ever break it down and start anew. ;)