Avic Temporary Enclosure

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, so I recently got into Avics and learned a bunch of new things. I plan on buying some containers from the Container Store, including some amac boxes for my little avic sling. I can drive to a local one on Saturday, so for now I decided to rehouse my Avic into a temporary enclosure, which would be atleast better than the one I got him in. Will this suffice until Saturday?

Attachments

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Those look like two totally different things. Which one is the temporary enclosure? If its the second one then it should be fine, though I would add more cross ventilation. That one would actually be find for a full time enclosure, providing you added much more cross ventilation.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Yep that should be fine for a few days just add some more cross ventilation and you should be good to go.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cross ventilation is KEY with avics!!

The second pic is better for your permanent enclosure.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I defiantly like the second enclosure better. Make sure to add a decent amount of ventilation around the side about 1 inch or so from the top. If you have some more of the brown sticks/plant stuff I'dd add it in (The height of the plants are good. You don't want them too close to the lid. Leave the sub lightly moist and add in a bottle cap for a water dish.

Should be good for a while then. Good luck.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Those look like two totally different things. Which one is the temporary enclosure? If its the second one then it should be fine, though I would add more cross ventilation. That one would actually be find for a full time enclosure, providing you added much more cross ventilation.
The small enclosure is what it came with when I bought the sling. The second enclosure is my temporary enclosure until I get one of these for him https://www.google.com/search?q=ama...hVR7WMKHdbaBHQQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=oynOY6Dyd0u78M:

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I would use it as a permanent home for him, problem is though, when my Avic gets scared it bolts up.(I think it's just natural instinct to go up into trees.) I've been told on the forums going up into an Avic enclosure is way easier than going down, and it to bolt when you open the lid.

EDIT: OMG I'm an arachnosquire now! That's awesome, I've been on this forum for a long time now.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I would use it as a permanent home for him, problem is though, when my Avic gets scared it bolts up.(I think it's just natural instinct to go up into trees.) I've been told on the forums going up into an Avic enclosure is way easier than going down, and it to bolt when you open the lid.

EDIT: OMG I'm an arachnosquire now! That's awesome, I've been on this forum for a long time now.
Yeah you can do that too. Though my experience is that once they have built up their web when they get spooked they will bolt straight into that as opposed to blindly going up. I think just going up is before they have a place that they feel secure within the enclosure.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That enclosure will actually be fine for more than just a couple days if you provide the proper humidity and ventilation. Once you start keeping large quantities of Ts, the need for fancy enclosures for each one of them sort of goes out the window.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I defiantly like the second enclosure better. Make sure to add a decent amount of ventilation around the side about 1 inch or so from the top. If you have some more of the brown sticks/plant stuff I'dd add it in (The height of the plants are good. You don't want them too close to the lid. Leave the sub lightly moist and add in a bottle cap for a water dish.

Should be good for a while then. Good luck.
Should I do the rest of the maintenance of his enclosure while he's in it? Or should I try and coax him out into another container for now, because if you didn't see in the picture, he's inside already.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Should I do the rest of the maintenance of his enclosure while he's in it? Or should I try and coax him out into another container for now, because if you didn't see in the picture, he's inside already.
As small as he is I'd try to gently coax him out and somewhere safe till the repairs were done. You don't want something to shift while poking holes etc and hurt your little T.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Looks good to me. Give it a bit to get settled in. Let us know if you have any questions.
Maybe give it 2-3 days to settle in? When should I drop a cricket/etc in the enclosure? Also prekilled/crushed/or let him hunt it? Also starting to think just to use this as his enclosure instead.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd give it a day or so then try a small prekilled or a maimed one. Once it's webbing a bit you'll know it's settled in and then do regular live one if you want.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe give it 2-3 days to settle in? When should I drop a cricket/etc in the enclosure? Also prekilled/crushed/or let him hunt it? Also starting to think just to use this as his enclosure instead.
The container w/the straw is OK. They can web their canopy across the straw. A better choice is a slice of cork flat angled against the wall like the straw. They will readily take advantage of a flat open space like a cork slab, head down when they are hunting.

I've always fed all slings I received in the mail the day I put them into their container. I think there's something about being shipped and bumped around that sets off their metabolism, perhaps stress I don't know. All of my slings received ate that day. No big deal if you wait a day or two.

No need to scavenge feed, feed live as they have evolved and enjoy the hunting. Avics are quite interesting to watch hunt, esp when they move upside down.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
The container w/the straw is OK. They can web their canopy across the straw. A better choice is a slice of cork flat angled against the wall like the straw. They will readily take advantage of a flat open space like a cork slab, head down when they are hunting.

I've always fed all slings I received in the mail the day I put them into their container. I think there's something about being shipped and bumped around that sets off their metabolism, perhaps stress I don't know. All of my slings received ate that day. No big deal if you wait a day or two.

No need to scavenge feed, feed live as they have evolved and enjoy the hunting. Avics are quite interesting to watch hunt, esp when they move upside down.
Alright thanks for letting me know as always :D. Out of the 3 slings I bought though, this one is the one that hasn't eaten yet strangely. Maybe he has, I've seen posts of slings eating small portions of food too little to tell if it's actually feeding. Or maybe he was too stressed out in the small container he was recently in. I'll try again soon, and see if I have better luck this time.

Edit: Also, do you think I've provided the enclosure with too much sphagnum moss? It could just be a hideout for the cricket, making it harder for the Avic?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
The things some people say.:rolleyes:

I raise all my arboreals in 32 oz deli cups...top opening, I have never once had a single issue. The pliable top opens wherever I need to and as much as I need to....making it quite convenient.

Alright thanks for letting me know as always :D. Out of the 3 slings I bought though, this one is the one that hasn't eaten yet strangely. Maybe he has, I've seen posts of slings eating small portions of food too little to tell if it's actually feeding. Or maybe he was too stressed out in the small container he was recently in. I'll try again soon, and see if I have better luck this time.

Edit: Also, do you think I've provided the enclosure with too much sphagnum moss? It could just be a hideout for the cricket, making it harder for the Avic?
The avic needs to be comfortable, once it is, it will spin a web tube...this will become "home base". Once this is constructed, they will hunt from it and when time comes, seal it and molt within it. If an avic isn't eating well, the mouth of the webbing is a convenient place to leave pre-killed prey.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Edit: It ate, and is starting to slowly web up it's enclosure. Fingers crossed that he likes it! :D

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think it's too much. However, your question is a good one. I've noticed with Avics of both genders, of all sizes, across many species/localities, that they can get "lazy". I suspect their laziness to eat is really a function of their satiety level. As I can only judge this by their body position/posture and abdominal size. At times I've fed them a crix and thought for sure they would eat, they hunted, and then "gave up" haha.

Other times, I've seen them hunt down a crix I thought for sure had temporarily evaded their predator.