Avic Temporary Enclosure

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I should add I've noticed similar behavior in Avics post-molt. Some Avics will climb down from their canopy and get a drink from their dish, some will not. This is why I drill holes in the top of my AMAC boxes so I can add some water w/a syringe. Ive found even the same Avic may or may not drink from a dish after a molt. It's not something I worry about and hover over, but it is something I check.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Help! Mold litterally grew on every bamboo stick.
I assume you mean those slight grey/black spots? Arrows on the image would help.

If so, mold is a function of controlling your ventilation and moisture/humidity content, adjust accordingly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's has white fuzz all over the sticks. Some black aswell.
Personally, I would rehouse it and adjust air flow and moisture content. Mold isn't always dangerous to T health, but stale/stagnant air is. Consider this an early warning sign that conditions are not optimal and need to be changed ASAP before your T dies. They will literally be alive one day (and look healthy too), and the next dead as a result of stagnant/moist stuffy containers.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Personally, I would rehouse it and adjust air flow and moisture content. Mold isn't always dangerous to T health, but stale/stagnant air is. Consider this an early warning sign that conditions are not optimal and need to be changed ASAP before your T dies. They will literally be alive one day (and look healthy too), and the next dead as a result of stagnant/moist stuffy containers.
Ok, thanks. The holes I poked we're too small I guess. The container didn't allow me to poke bigger holes, otherwise it would crack. Amac boxes it is.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, thanks. The holes I poked we're too small I guess. The container didn't allow me to poke bigger holes, otherwise it would crack. Amac boxes it is.
No prob. You can use a 32 oz deli cup as well. I use those and AMAC boxes. Same results in terms of the T thriving ;)

cold blood

Staff member
I'd pile that moss on the floor to the opposite side as the water dish...those two things do not mix well.

Otherwise it looks like a great place for an avic sling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finished project! Welcome to your new home my little Avic.
I'll be interested to see where it builds its canopy/tube based on the position of the cage furniture you provided. Keep us posted once it's settled.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I'd pile that moss on the floor to the opposite side as the water dish...those two things do not mix well.

Otherwise it looks like a great place for an avic sling.
The substrate I got from the store does not absorb water effectively, or at all, so they'll just be water puddles on the top of substrate if the moss isn't there to absorb it. Why? what happens when those two mix?

cold blood

Staff member
The substrate I got from the store does not absorb water effectively, or at all, so they'll just be water puddles on the top of substrate if the moss isn't there to absorb it. Why? what happens when those two mix?
The substrate should be kept dry, so its no worry.

They don't mix because when moss (or sub) or webbing touches the water, it wicks away that moisture, soaking everything touching.

Often times people mistakenly believe their water dish has sprung a leak, or that their t is drinking a lot of water as a result of this.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The substrate should be kept dry, so its no worry.

They don't mix because when moss (or sub) or webbing touches the water, it wicks away that moisture, soaking everything touching.

Often times people mistakenly believe their water dish has sprung a leak, or that their t is drinking a lot of water as a result of this.
And then they end up with mites often times.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Finished project! Welcome to your new home my little Avic.
Nice looking enclosure you have there.

I would keep an eye on how fast the enclosure dries out. If it's too fast I'd cover a few of those holes in the top of the enclose. I usually on add one or two to prevent condensation. Just something to keep in mind.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Looks like she settled in right underneath a corkbark. There was a leaf underneath that helped her start her little tunnel. She's already eaten a cricket yesterday. Looking good!

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Looks like she settled in right underneath a corkbark. There was a leaf underneath that helped her start her little tunnel. She's already eaten a cricket yesterday. Looking good!
Lol, looks like you are keeping it in your grow room.:zipit: