avic slings

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
people keep telling me they have no luck with avic slings i have a leata im scared it might pass somehow any one know why other people have no luck? please respond :wall:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Not everyone has bad luck with avic slings. People call it SADS (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome). Just take proper care of it and you should be fine. Read these for some references and help:
+1

Keep the spider well hydrated and make sure the cage has good ventilation. Keeping Avicularia alive is no big deal, as long as you follow these two rules.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I have several Avic and when I was initially considering raising them I was also apprehensive. Do the research and give them what they need and you should have no problems.I love my little Avics and they are for the most part the easiest arboreal you can have.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I believe the Avic deaths are more hype than anything. The main problem IMO is hydration and humidity. Just do your best to keep them maintained. All you CAN do! :D

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think many people loose avics due to cage set up. I have had very few avic deaths over 5 years maybe two that I can think of and that is out of many.
1. I dont worry as much about vent as I do about humidity. water 2 times a week. mist webbing no water dish.
2. I feed once a week
3. My setups for slings are just vials or deli containor with mostly moss
4. I try to keep the set ups on the small side.

thats just what I do and it works well in the dry area I live in.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give it good ventilation , and keep it moist and humid in there like it is in the jungle . I have never had good luck with avic slings :eek:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Give it good ventilation , and keep it moist and humid in there like it is in the jungle . I have never had good luck with avic slings :eek:
How can you give advice on avic slings when you state you have had no good luck with them?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hush.You admit defeat when it comes to avic slings,so just dont post in this thread,please,until you have had success.
ANYHOW............IMHO,Avicularia are a cakewalk to care for/keep alive. Most deaths are probably due to over-watering,resulting in the T living in a swamp,and total lack of ventilation,as mentioned..Again,IMHO,slings are going to die sometimes,no matter what they are. It's nature...They should not be dying in hoardes like so many people on this site claim.Then it's probably bad husbandry....(shrugs)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We are raising an A. versicolor and A. purpurea and have been for almost 2 years. People say they absolutely need cross-ventilation, but there are those that don't have it and they still have thriving slings. The fact that we see so many deaths in the Avicularia genus is IMO simply natural selection seen on a microscopic scale. They are very popular genus and it is easy to see why, but in the wild all of those slings wouldn't make it. Our A. versicolor has actually had abdomen problems and I believe that if we had not altered her feeding to compensate for the bulge in her abdomen, we would have lost her in a molt.

We do have cross-ventilation for them and when they were under 2" we wet half of the substrate about once a week to have adequate humidity. That means to moisten it, not make it swampy. When they hit 2" we gave them a bottlecap as a water bowl. They are easy, just keep those tips in mind when caring for yours. :D