Avic sling keeps falling off enclosure walls???

Kparsons

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I recently purchased an Avicularia urticans sling. I have had him/her (I'm gonna call it a "him" for now) about a week now. He is about 3/4". I put him a little plastic container with plenty of air holes. He webbed up the first day he was in there. I unfortunately had to mess up his little masterpiece to get an uneaten cricket out of the enclosure.

Since I put his back in his cage (yesterday morning) he hasn't been able to stick to the walls well. Almost every attempt made to climb the wall ends in a fall.

I've researched it a little and all I can find is this MIGHT be a sign of pre-molt. The falls don't seem to phase him but I would still like to know what's going on. Any ideas???

Kymura

Arachnoknight
The first thing they are going to scream for are pictures of the enclosure. You might as well get a couple ready :p

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Pics of enclosure please ASAP. But I feel your pain.

When in pre-moult have found my avics to do exactly as you say. I.e be skittish crazy buggers. Also a pic of your T's Abdomen? Am guessing it's large? (one of my first avics fell a few times almost drove me insane with worry).

P.s removing crickets is sometimes unecessary with Avics. You know their webs are anti septic (well web prey wont cause health issues to a T generally) and also they sometimes leave some food for the day after.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
I don't keep avics in general i notice my tarantulas don't have as good a grip on the walls of their enclosures the longer it is since they molted.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
If its really a concern you could try using some type of metal brush or steel wool to score the walls of the enclosure to help give their hooks something to grasp. Granted might affect visibility of the enclosure walls.
Like others said could be premolt too.

Kparsons

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg image.jpeg He's my first sling so I don't have much to compare him to but yes I would say that proportionately his abdomen is very large. But he did just eat yesterday.

I know the enclosure is big for him but he seems to find his food just fine. Any advice on the enclosure or just in general is certainly welcomed though. :)

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
The pictured enclosure is rather large for it , watch your humidity levels with it, personally I don't recommend people to recreationally be handling slings out of fear of causing injury to the spider though, they are pretty delicate. Just my .02.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
This is just my opinion and I know others who know far more will chime in. Personally I'd give him way more foliage and a lot more ventilation. These guys can't be in stuffy containers. A full water dish serves them well for humidity. They like to feel like they are in the tree tops so more foliage gives them a lot more opportunity to feel secure not to mention Web points.
And that's a chubby baby! Looks premolt to me. I house mine roomy as long as they can find their food.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree, it is too wet in there, dry is better. Surround that wood with plastic plants, too.

Don't worry about size, it will be just fine with a little extra room, avics are quick, it won't have an issue.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I agree, it is too wet in there, dry is better. Surround that wood with plastic plants, too.

Don't worry about size, it will be just fine with a little extra room, avics are quick, it won't have an issue.
Nail on head!!!!!!
Just a water dish an dry sub (i do provide some droplets in the openings of their web tunnes on occasion but thats only rite after a moult so if they want a drink they dont have to climb around until they hardened up)

Soupbone

Arachnopeon
molt on its way.. They lose their ability to stick to slippery surfaces pretty much when one is close.