Avic molting on the wall?!

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
So, has this happened to anyone before? I woke up today to find my 1/2" A. amazonica sp. manaus behaving in a way I haven't seen before. She has spun a circular "mat" on the wall of the deli container and has been still all day. Whaddya think? It's an inch above the substrate and if she really is molting I'm concerned about an eventual drop.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Arboreals are known to do this, shouldn't be anything to be concerned about!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, seems perfectly normal. Some Ts molt in weird positions but for an avic that is the usual behavior, what freaks me out is when Ts molt in super tight spaces.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
what freaks me out is when Ts molt in super tight spaces.
That's exactly what my GBB did a couple of weeks ago. It resulted in a bad molt, it didn't have room to stretch out properly and now its legs are all warped and bent... The poor thing is wobbling around like a drunk person with s-shaped legs. Crossing my fingers that this won't cause problems on the next molt.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
That's exactly what my GBB did a couple of weeks ago. It resulted in a bad molt, it didn't have room to stretch out properly and now its legs are all warped and bent... The poor thing is wobbling around like a drunk person with s-shaped legs. Crossing my fingers that this won't cause problems on the next molt.
Man that sucks, I haven't experienced any bad molts in my collection yet, hopefully he will recover! They are pretty hardy animals ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, has this happened to anyone before? I woke up today to find my 1/2" A. amazonica sp. manaus behaving in a way I haven't seen before. She has spun a circular "mat" on the wall of the deli container and has been still all day. Whaddya think? It's an inch above the substrate and if she really is molting I'm concerned about an eventual drop.
Two things

1. Your T has a species name they are now Avicularia variegata see the latest Avic revision from Fukushima, they were elevated from sub-species to full species status.

2. Yes this can happen.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
One of my cats, Nerina (Little Black, basically) once delivered a smoking poop on my wall instead of her bedding. Worst :-/

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Two things

1. Your T has a species name they are now Avicularia variegata see the latest Avic revision from Fukushima, they were elevated from sub-species to full species status.

2. Yes this can happen.
Ah ah, 'variegata', an Italian word.

Long live Fukushima (Dai-ichi) for that we are "Fukushimed" :-s

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
1. Your T has a species name they are now Avicularia variegata see the latest Avic revision from Fukushima, they were elevated from sub-species to full species status
Brilliant, I read the TLDR version of the taxonomic revision but I missed this crucial bit of info. I'll go read the whole document now. Thanks for pointing it out mate. Now where is my labelmaker?