avic metallic and versicolor Q's

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats is the difference between these 2 T's. Color wise, size, temperament??? Any one have any pics to show of these 2 species? Thinking about getting one or the other or both thought you guys could help in my decision thanks in advance

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spike,
I don't know about metallic, but my versi is really colorful and sweet. It can move super fast, but when its walking on my hand its really cute. Avics have a neat gate to their step. I think all avics are mellow, so whichever you get you'll love.

Ernie

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spike
Whats is the difference between these 2 T's. Color wise, size, temperament??? Any one have any pics to show of these 2 species? Thinking about getting one or the other or both thought you guys could help in my decision thanks in advance
Well, care of Invertepets.com here are a few pictures of each as adults. I hope these pics help you out. :D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well the first one didn't work. But you can just copy and paste it to the navigator. Sorry!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
If it helps, I have one of each.

A. versicolor - She's about 2" now, and I've had her just about since she hatched. She usually very mellow, but has gotten quite moody lately. In other words, she's been getting a bit agressive (not defensive). This may just be mine, but it's my experience.

Size: Versicolors max out at about 5", I believe.

A. metallica - My metallica is about 5", now. She's VERY sweet tempered and is good with being handled. She's about as skittish as a common pinktoe (A. avicularia), but doesn't give me a single problem. The picture below is my metallica.

Size: Metallica maxes out around 7-8", from what I've seen in person. The large ones keep the same personality as their smaller relatives :)

-Bryan

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
If it helps, I have one of each.

A. versicolor - She's about 2" now, and I've had her just about since she hatched. She usually very mellow, but has gotten quite moody lately. In other words, she's been getting a bit agressive (not defensive). This may just be mine, but it's my experience.

-Bryan
I've been noticing alot of my docile Tarantulas are on the defensive as well. Could this be because they can sense a change in the weather from colder weather where they are more inclined to be more lethargic to much warmer weather?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
I've been noticing alot of my docile Tarantulas are on the defensive as well. Could this be because they can sense a change in the weather from colder weather where they are more inclined to be more lethargic to much warmer weather?
If so, I know that's not my problem. My tarantula room is 80-90 degrees year round. :?

-Bryan

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
If so, I know that's not my problem. My tarantula room is 80-90 degrees year round. :?

-Bryan
My room is usually warm as well. It could be an instinctual thing. You know. The same instincts that cause Geese to fly South in the wintertime.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eternal: Is that a Metallica? I thought they didn't have red hairs on their abdomen?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Eternal: Is that a Metallica? I thought they didn't have red hairs on their abdomen?
I always get this question ;)

Yes. That is a metallica. The redish hairs are juvinal colors. She had more before her last molt. They're quickly changing to black. Once she's full grown, they should all be black.

In other words: enjoy how pretty they are while they last :)

-Bryan