Avic in LPS

k2power

Arachnoknight
I saw this last night in the LPS. I had not seen one that size (2") with the juvenile coloration. It is listed as a pink toe (obviously) but that is it. Any idea on the species. Sorry for the poor shot with my phone but that is all I had as I wasn't expecting to shoot photos that night.

Attachments

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Virtually impossible to tell while juvies unless an obvious species.

PIG-

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Avic avic is about 3" and still has her colors.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
If it's at a local pet store and says "Pinktoe", I know it's an A. Avicularia.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I wouldn't be so sure of that. There's a high chance that it's Avic avic, but you can't be 100% sure.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't be so sure of that. There's a high chance that it's Avic avic, but you can't be 100% sure.
Well, there's always that chance, but with the picture provided it would be extremely hard to ID the species. My educated guess would be that it's an A. Avic, unless the pet store knows anything about Ts. Also, it merely said pinktoe. Most LPS's assume that pinktoe means A. Avicularia- two of mine do.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Well, there's always that chance, but with the picture provided it would be extremely hard to ID the species. My educated guess would be that it's an A. Avic, unless the pet store knows anything about Ts. Also, it merely said pinktoe. Most LPS's assume that pinktoe means A. Avicularia- two of mine do.
I agree most LPS have A. avics. But can you explain why you think its an A. avic in that picture? Besides only one feature (the abdominal pattern) At best its just a simple guess.

Im not sure what light source that is but it has a purplish tint to it.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not always true, Companion pets in Santa Fe had several pink toes, and only one of the four was A. Avic. The other three were all A. Minatrix.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Not always true, Companion pets in Santa Fe had several pink toes, and only one of the four was A. Avic. The other three were all A. Minatrix.
Again, nothing is positive. I was just trying to give some helpful information. USUALLY, petstores have A. Avics when they're labeled "Pinktoe" or sold as "Avicularia sp."

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Again, nothing is positive. I was just trying to give some helpful information. USUALLY, petstores have A. Avics when they're labeled "Pinktoe" or sold as "Avicularia sp."
Perhaps this

made you seem like you were positive.;) I agree that it has a good chance of being that species, but that pic is not good enough to identify it by. So, all is conjecture until better pics are posted.:)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Perhaps this

made you seem like you were positive.;) I agree that it has a good chance of being that species, but that pic is not good enough to identify it by. So, all is conjecture until better pics are posted.:)
Well, no one here can be 100% positive.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Perhaps this

I agree with this. I dont think anyone was being negative here. They were posting there opinion. I dont think i could or anyone here could give a positive ID by that photo.

Yet you claim to have the knowledge to know what it is. You also say because the pet store labels it that they are correct. Ive seen P. emperator labeled "pinktoe" at a pet shop. {D You really have no idea how difficult Avics can be to indentify correctly. Especially a juvenile in a terrible photo. :rolleyes: There are alot of unidentified sp. of Avics trying to be sorted out by experts. But i guess you already knew that because you claimed to have an "edjucated guess". Im not saying these things to be mean. Nor am i claiming i know how to identify Avics. But i dont "wing it" to try to be helpful. If you want to be helpful try doing a little research on things your not sure of.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most LPS' have VERY limited knowledge on these creatures, and their labelling is horrid at best. But this does not mean they can't get their hans on something other than Avic avics.. Odds are they couldn't tell them apart from a rosie, but that's another matter.

The only thing we can do, is tell you what it isn't. It's not diversipes,versicolor,purpurea,minatrix or huriana. And that's about what I can tell you.. Probably a few other species I can't think of at the moment, but those I mentioned are some of the most distinctive ones.

k2power

Arachnoknight
I had not seen that much pattern on a pet store pink toe and was always curious how well identified the stock they get in is. I don't know where it came from, but Guyana is probably the most likely I would guess. It was interesting to see that much pattern. I thought I had remembered that pink toes present on a patterned individual was something determinitive and that is why the photo was posted. Apparently not. Sorry for the poor quality, but it is what it is, with a 1.3 MP phone camera without much macro capability.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had not seen that much pattern on a pet store pink toe and was always curious how well identified the stock they get in is.
Sometimes if you are patient enough to wait for the manager to find the invoice, they can give you a scientific name from their breeder. However, that can still be wrong too.....

I thought I had remembered that pink toes present on a patterned individual was something determinitive and that is why the photo was posted. Apparently not. Sorry for the poor quality, but it is what it is, with a 1.3 MP phone camera without much macro capability.
You mean they don't make cell phones that can take macro shots yet?! :eek:

The poor quality is understandable for the situation.;) Abra explained it well though, the best that can be done is tell you what it isn't. :)

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
k2power

thats the avic at petpad in cary nc isnt it??

I saw it today! weird!

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok so I bought it lol

Here are some better pics, what sp. of avic does everyone think it is now? lol

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It looks alot like a juvenile bicegoi a mate of mine is keeping.. It seems to have the start of the reddish brown bristles, and the one my mate has is also slightly purple-ish on the opi.

The bicegois I have seen start out the usual avic sling colour, then go blue, than slowly go more reddish brown..

But I can't see any very distinctive features on it just yet.. It will probably be easier to say after another molt or two..

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its very, reddish brown all over its legs with a deep purple stripe on its abdomen and a purpleish blue carapace, hard to tell with the flash in the pic tho. Doesnt look like any avic avic ive cared for at least.