Avic Guyana

jb62

Arachnosquire
My wife has a avic guyana that has pinktoes and a red rump it's about three inch long with legs spread.
We have put in small crickets and it just sits on it's web or moves to the cork.
It was in a small tank but we got it a biger one so it can move around.
it's a exo terra 12x12x18 with three cork branches a small medium and long.
Does any one have any ideas what we can try or are these night time movers?

John

chebe2

Arachnopeon
I really wouldn't worry about it! Probably just in premolt, make sure your tanks humidity is ok and I would continue trying to feed; remove the cricket immediately if the pink toe runs away.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your new friend is in quarters much too large. These tend to stay put in a spot chosen to web and not move around much unless/until a mature male is wandering, looking for love;) Some are shy feeders and wait until you aren't lookjng to grab a snack. Other hobbiests enjoy 'tong-feeding' theirs, whereby they give the prey directly to the T from the end of some long tweezer-like apparatus. I never had any luck with that. Good luck with your new fuzzy friend:)

jb62

Arachnosquire
we got that size so he/she can grow in to it with out keep moving it over time.
it doesn't do much just stays in one place and that it.
Unlike the other t's the B.smithi is the only one that is always up to some thing.. B.alboposum just hides but that is a juvi and E.campestratus does come out and sits in one place then moves to another.
But this avic at times looks a sleep lol.

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your comments remind me of my Avic avic. There are times, especially when she is in pre-molt, that she will go so long without moving, I've tapped on her container to make sure she's still alive. My Avic versi, on the other hand, is much more interested in moving around. Both these girls are in the 3 to 4 inch range and I keep them in 5 x 8 critter carriers turned on end. They can create beautiful web structures and still be easy to watch and tong feed. Sounds like you've got a nice large enclosure there that would really benefit a much larger T. Sounds like it's time to go T shopping {D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
You're Avic may just want to be a rock. My B. vagans is the queen of all pet rocks...:rolleyes: Even when I moved her to a slightly larger container, she just sits there. Maybe it's in premolt. My vagans has gotten more active since her last molt.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. Avic is in the extra large KK.. at night she's all over it, but during the day she stays in her web. check at night, bet you'll find it out hunting or exploring!