Avic female behavior question

synoviaus

Arachnopeon
I'm trying to understand if my spider is sick. I have a 3yr. old female pinktoe. She has always been a really great friendly display spider. I use her to show kids that spiders are nice. What worries me is that she has become reclusive. She lives in a 12x24 vertical terrarium. I have it planted with soft leafed artificial plants. She has taken over one corner and using one of the plants built herself a sealed web house. She is also ignoring food. I have not exposed her to a male, so don't think she is making an eggsac unless...they can somehow store sperm. Any one have any insight into this girl's behavior.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I'm trying to understand if my spider is sick. I have a 3yr. old female pinktoe. She has always been a really great friendly display spider. I use her to show kids that spiders are nice. What worries me is that she has become reclusive. She lives in a 12x24 vertical terrarium. I have it planted with soft leafed artificial plants. She has taken over one corner and using one of the plants built herself a sealed web house. She is also ignoring food. I have not exposed her to a male, so don't think she is making an eggsac unless...they can somehow store sperm. Any one have any insight into this girl's behavior.
Sounds like pre molt to me, when was her last molt? As long as her abdomen is plump she is probably just preparing for the next molt, they often web heavily before they do the deed so maybe that's what she's up to. Just keep her water dish full and she should be fine. A picture of the spider would help for some perspective. ;)

synoviaus

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks. She last molted in June so it's a little early. I will keep her water full and an eye on her.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok thanks. She last molted in June so it's a little early. I will keep her water full and an eye on her.
Sound like molt behaviour. June? Thats been a year. More than enough time to be another impending molt for a young female.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
use her to show kids?
if youre handling to show them, you can end up with a dead spider on the floor. Avics are great in falls, but not invincible. its also very stressful to them.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
use her to show kids?
if youre handling to show them, you can end up with a dead spider on the floor. Avics are great in falls, but not invincible. its also very stressful to them.
Yeah, plus they're tendency to jump makes this even more likely...handling is never a good idea.