Avic Drops Food

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
My versi has done this twice now. He'll attack the butter worm, grab it right up, and hold it in his mouth for an hour or so and just drop it in his web. It doesn't look like he ate any of it at all. Is he doing this just to eliminate any possible predators because he's in pre molt or does he not like the worms I'm feeding him?
There isn't a pet store within an hour of me so besides fresh caught prey or bait from walmart I don't have much of a choice.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
My versi has done this twice now. He'll attack the butter worm, grab it right up, and hold it in his mouth for an hour or so and just drop it in his web. It doesn't look like he ate any of it at all. Is he doing this just to eliminate any possible predators because he's in pre molt or does he not like the worms I'm feeding him?
There isn't a pet store within an hour of me so besides fresh caught prey or bait from walmart I don't have much of a choice.
It's possible it may just not care for the worms, I would not use any wild caught prey or from Walmart to be honest. I just wouldn't trust them not to be carrying something in them.

If you do want to try something else, hop onto eBay if you can, you can get ridiculous amounts of crickets, roaches, or other types of worms at a great price. I get around 1000 superworms every now and then for about 20 bucks.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
It's possible it may just not care for the worms, I would not use any wild caught prey or from Walmart to be honest. I just wouldn't trust them not to be carrying something in them.

If you do want to try something else, hop onto eBay if you can, you can get ridiculous amounts of crickets, roaches, or other types of worms at a great price. I get around 1000 superworms every now and then for about 20 bucks.
Buying huge quantities online for one tarantula? I dont think so haha.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Buying huge quantities online for one tarantula? I dont think so haha.
I completely understand, they do sell lower qualities though, I think the lowest the one I usually order from is 250 for like 7 bucks shipped. But there may be sellers on ebay that will sell lower amounts. Plus superworms can be kept for a long time, just a few carrot slices a day keeps them happy. They do stink a bit though if you don't give fresh bedding every now and then. Luckily bedding is easy

There's also a few members here that sell feeders in the classifieds :)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Check your local CL for roaches and other feeders usually someone local has extra they sell form their feeder colony pretty cheap. Th roaches are easy to keep alive for quite some time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my versi sling does the same thing with its food. im now leaving half eaten food in there for a few days so she can take her time. (cage is dry and highly ventilated, no real chance of mites)

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
my versi sling does the same thing with its food. im now leaving half eaten food in there for a few days so she can take her time. (cage is dry and highly ventilated, no real chance of mites)
It seems our versi's are one in the same. He ate half of it and now its hanging on the cork bark outside of his web... Maybe he's trying to attract more tasty creatures haha.