Avic avic that likes being held?

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Let me start out by saying that I do not handle my tarantulas, but I recently got a new sling and every time I open the container she waits for me to open the lid and then crawled out of the container quickly and onto my hand and then just sits there. Anybody have any idea why she's doing this? Is it body heat?really puzzling to me because from what I've seen on these forums they really do not like being handled but every time I've opened this container to water or feed she does the exact same thing

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Maybe the bugger is in love with you... just like King Kong was in regards of that blonde chick :)

One moment, who are we for state that we can understand Theraphosidae feelings and blah blah? Your 'Avic' loves you, love the bugger too. End :-s

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I can only hope to own one of the few tarantulas with actual emotions. I rescued her from petco where they were pretty much drowning her in water. I explained to the manager that the care they were providing wasn't adequate and she seemed extremely receptive and appreciative and actually gave this baby to me because she could tell i was concerned. Maybe she's thanking me for saving her from that hellhole of an enclosure.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
That's an awesome story.

I'm a beginner with 7 Ts, I've never intentionally handled and I don't advocate it but there are a few in my collection that I think wouldn't mind being handled however out of all seven, I'll say my gfs avic Versicolor climbed that paintbrush pretty quick and seemed to enjoy being on my hand. Then again she literally jumped into the catch cup I had in my other hand which was pretty incredible!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Probably just has an inquisitive streak, enjoy it while it lasts... The younger of my 2 C. versicolor juvies (the one I raised from a tiny sling) used to just go walkabout about on my hand for 5-10mins until I could coax it back into its enclosure, now it just hides as soon as I open the lid.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Probably just has an inquisitive streak, enjoy it while it lasts... The younger of my 2 C. versicolor juvies (the one I raised from a tiny sling) used to just go walkabout about on my hand for 5-10mins until I could coax it back into its enclosure, now it just hides as soon as I open the lid.
They grow up so fast :singing:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my versi used to do that too. i think it means its not settled, you disturbed it when opening the cage and now its trying to escape. bother it much more and it will jump. my versi has webbed every square inch of her cage now and never does this anymore.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It's probably not settled in yet if it's trying to run out when you open the lid, they would normally rather hide but may not of established a spot yet. If it freezes once it comes in contact with your skin it's probably aware it's touched another living creature, and is like whoah what's this. More likely trying to escape then cuddle, although I low your enthusiasm. ;) I wish my Ts would thank me once in a while lol, all I get is hissing and threat postures... where's the love? :(

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
My avics tend to not move at all when I open their enclosures. Only T I have that displays a similar behavior is Euathlus spec red and they are kind of known for that. Body heat would be the only logical explanation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let me start out by saying that I do not handle my tarantulas, but I recently got a new sling and every time I open the container she waits for me to open the lid and then crawled out of the container quickly and onto my hand and then just sits there. Anybody have any idea why she's doing this? Is it body heat?really puzzling to me because from what I've seen on these forums they really do not like being handled but every time I've opened this container to water or feed she does the exact same thing
There's a difference in what you are talking about regarding handling and the behavior you are reporting. Handling is generally when the owner picks up the T and does whatever...that's something they are not a fan of. However, if the T decides to move of its own free will, like yours did, that's a different scenario than the former.

In either case, you are lucky your Avic doesn't sky dive to its death, because they will leap from any height, at any time.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I can only hope to own one of the few tarantulas with actual emotions.
I've just seen that now. You are being serious, I'm afraid?

Maybe she's thanking me for saving her from that hellhole of an enclosure.
That one I did catch earlier but never got an explanation when I commented it with a ?, so I'll ask again: What?

In your "what next thread", you asked for recommendations on what species to get next.
At this point, my recommendation has to be to invest the money for new T's into a book, or whatever form of research, to learn the basics about Tarantulas and their behavior, as you clearly seem to think they are just 8-legged mammals, and that might cause problems for you and/or your Tarantulas in the future.
To be a responsible T owner first and foremost means that you need to do what you can to learn about them before starting the hobby.
In my short time here (and elsewhere), I've read too many horror stories from new keepers that just didn't do there homework.
Threads like: "Help, my OBT escaped!" over "Help, I don't feel my hand anymore after being tagged - she always was so calm!" to "My T fell on the floor, now she's leaking some liquid?".

It feels stupid to say that after just ~6 months in the hobby myself, but I hope you see my point?

PS: If what I quoted above was sarcasm, ignore my post. I just got up, my brain cannot into sarcasm at the moment.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
you guys need to take a giant chill pill. I was joking....I am more than aware that they are not mammals and don't form bonds with their keepers. The entirety of what you quoted was me kidding. However I also don't assume to know the thoughts of an animal because I'm not a mind reader. Y'all are real quick to get on your high horse and bash anyone. Also in regards to my Avic sky diving to its death. I do all water changes and feedings on the floor of a sealed room to prevent injuries and search and rescue missions if someone escapes. I really wish yall would not make assumptions about someones ability to care for an animal especially when I have never indicated anything about the housing, feeding, or living area of my animals. Thanks

louise f

Arachnoangel
you guys need to take a giant chill pill. I was joking....I am more than aware that they are not mammals and don't form bonds with their keepers. The entirety of what you quoted was me kidding. However I also don't assume to know the thoughts of an animal because I'm not a mind reader. Y'all are real quick to get on your high horse and bash anyone. Also in regards to my Avic sky diving to its death. I do all water changes and feedings on the floor of a sealed room to prevent injuries and search and rescue missions if someone escapes. I really wish yall would not make assumptions about someones ability to care for an animal especially when I have never indicated anything about the housing, feeding, or living area of my animals. Thanks
They are just trying to help you out the right way. <3 And what goes for avic`s. Slings specially they really piss me of a little when i need to pack them for shipping.
Once i got them in the tube they rush out again like they got paid to do so :DMan I`m cursing a lot over these buggers. But without a doubt i love those little avic`s <3 :kiss:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I've just seen that now. You are being serious, I'm afraid?

That one I did catch earlier but never got an explanation when I commented it with a ?, so I'll ask again: What?

In your "what next thread", you asked for recommendations on what species to get next.
At this point, my recommendation has to be to invest the money for new T's into a book, or whatever form of research, to learn the basics about Tarantulas and their behavior, as you clearly seem to think they are just 8-legged mammals, and that might cause problems for you and/or your Tarantulas in the future.
To be a responsible T owner first and foremost means that you need to do what you can to learn about them before starting the hobby.
In my short time here (and elsewhere), I've read too many horror stories from new keepers that just didn't do there homework.
Threads like: "Help, my OBT escaped!" over "Help, I don't feel my hand anymore after being tagged - she always was so calm!" to "My T fell on the floor, now she's leaking some liquid?".

It feels stupid to say that after just ~6 months in the hobby myself, but I hope you see my point?

PS: If what I quoted above was sarcasm, ignore my post. I just got up, my brain cannot into sarcasm at the moment.
it was quite obviously sarcasm. she even gave context to BOTH statements that shows it is sarcasm. instead of being rude and then leaving a little "if it was sarcasm I'm sorry "at the end, maybe save yourself the trouble and as that first?

literally, just copy and paste any of these:

"are you being sarcastic or serious?"
"this is sarcasm right"
"i hope you are being sarcastic right now"

or fill in the blanks yourself.
PS: the examples you gave at the end of your comment, about the horror stories are very unnesseccary as not a single thing you listed is relevant to the situation in this post. this type of comment was just over all, not needed for any reason.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
White knight to the rescue, Mr. White knight, please.
So you act blatantly rude to somebody, miss read both of her previous comments, and then demanded she take time to do more research(which is irrelevant to the original points) and then semi-apologize for your comments.

call me a white knight all you want, id rather be called a White night for standing up for someone then known as a pompous Jerk who Automatically assumes the worst in people, without stopping and asking first. you just immediately started slamming them with rude and unneeded comments. congrats, your a jerk and I'm a Brown noser. i guess I got the worse end of that stick right?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Not settled is correct, a sling with heavy webbing wouldn't usually do this without more disturbance than opening the enclosure. One way to stop this from happening is using an inverted enclosure that opens from the bottom. Avicularia (or former) slings that haven't made the enclosure their home yet like to run up and out of top opening enclosures. When they flee, they usually flee upwards, this might be instinct to elude predators in the wild. This is exactly why I switched to inverted setups, as feeding 100 different slings with each running out and then being stubborn to go back in is very annoying and time consuming. Once I switched my setup, this type of behavior would rarely happen.

Now as for them likely dying from a fall is just not true for these arboreal slings. First off arboreals are made for flight, that's why they are so jumpy. Slings are even less likely to be killed from the average fall, as they are not very dense at all, they merely float to the ground. I have also witnessed a couple throw out a line of web from the jumping point to slow down their fall. Now, there maybe problems if the arboreal is excessively overweight, but healthy weight arboreal slings such as these are built for falls, unlike terrestrial and your obligate burrowers. I'm not saying go test this theory, even though they are built for the tree life, it's still best to avoid falls all together.