Avic Avic Sling Death Curl?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
Right when I got home I found my sling floating in the middle of its water bowl in the exact position in this picture. I thought for sure it was dead until I touched it then it crawled out of the water and sat how it currently is in the picture. Any advice? 0927161655.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Avics aren't my thing, so I'll leave that to @cold blood and @viper69. However, I can already say that they'll want pictures of the entire enclosure. What kind of ventilation do you have?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
Avics aren't my thing, so I'll leave that to @cold blood and @viper69. However, I can already say that they'll want pictures of the entire enclosure. What kind of ventilation do you have?
I have some holes in the top then one row of holes in the upper side of the container and a row of holes on the lower sides. You can see the top row (but blurry) and the bottom row in the pic.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From 1 pic, it looks like your T is going to die. The image is not clear enough to get a good idea of the size of its abdomen relative to its body, and words won't help me.

How have you been keeping it, be very specific. How long have you had it, what species/locality is that, just curious.

Death curls are caused by many things not just dehydration.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
This is how I've been keeping it. I was doing a very light misting. I tried feeding it once and the T ran away. It has huddled up a few times since I got it but never this bad. Its water bowl has always had fresh water. There are holes on the lid, upper level, and lower level but the lower level is hard to see in the picture. The room has been between 70 and 72. I've had it for 3 days not including today. 0927161713a.jpg

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I don't see anything wrong with the enclosure. Sorry to say, it seems to me, like you got a bad egg. It happens with all genera. Welcome to the hobby.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is how I've been keeping it. I was doing a very light misting. I tried feeding it once and the T ran away. It has huddled up a few times since I got it but never this bad. Its water bowl has always had fresh water. There are holes on the lid, upper level, and lower level but the lower level is hard to see in the picture. The room has been between 70 and 72. I've had it for 3 days not including today. View attachment 221401
I provide mine with more ventilation.

How frequently were you misting..that's important info.

"very light misting"-- is quite subjective. Light to you, is a swamp to another.

I would be surprised to see an Avic sling die in only 3 days of care, even w/light misting in that setup. Unless of course it was a weak individual to begin with. Your temps are fine generally speaking.

Not all animals are meant to reach maturity. There could have been some internal developmental issues that caused this.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hey wasn't this the 7 leg avic you posted about a few days ago?

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter

"very light misting"-- is quite subjective. Light to you, is a swamp to another.
Doesn't look like much, seeing the substrate is dry.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doesn't look like much, seeing the substrate is dry.
I agree, but until I see what someone's version of "light" is, I didn't want to assume.

As you know, sometimes Ts literally just drop dead. I've had that happen for no obvious reason. Like one of my A. sp. Kwitara River :(

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon

I would be surprised to see an Avic sling die in only 3 days of care, even w/light misting in that setup. Unless of course it was a weak individual to begin with. Your temps are fine generally speaking.

Not all animals are meant to reach maturity. There could have been some internal developmental issues that caused this.
I was misting once a day. I would spray one "trigger pull" out of like a 10 oz or so spray bottle into the substrate.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ok sling was found nearly dead in it's water dish.. It's doing some what better after rehydrating and being rescued..

The sling was damaged.. ( I found the old thread) not sure how it lost the leg but in doing so I'm sure it lost some moisture..

Even being housed in an enclosure that is dry and cool it musters the energy to seek out water and then collapses.. But we are stuck on the week sling in the sack theory?

Eh sorry not buying it guys..Lol

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Ok sling was found nearly dead in it's water dish.. It's doing some what better after rehydrating and being rescued..

The sling was damaged.. ( I found the old thread) not sure how it lost the leg but in doing so I'm sure it lost some moisture..Being housed in an enclosure that is dry and cool musters the energy to seek out water and then collapses.. But we are stuck on the week sling in the sack theory?

That is some key info left out if it is in fact the same sling.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
Yes

The sling was damaged.. ( I found the old thread) not sure how it lost the leg but in doing so I'm sure it lost some moisture..Being housed in an enclosure that is dry and cool musters the energy to seek out water and then collapses.. But we are stuck on the week sling in the sack theory?

Yes it is the same sling. Idk how it lost it's leg. It was missing one when he gave it to me. When ever I mist it it just seems to dry up really fast.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I agree with CEC's assessment of the misting, its looks dry in there, so it wasn't from over misting.

I will say that the lid should be replaced with one without ventilation, as top venting does cause an enclosure to dry unusually fast.

I'd think the leg were an issue if it just happened, but it didn't, it was already like that. I just think it was dehydrated. I do periodically dampen sub for avics so small...not doing so has caused a couple of mine to meet the same fate...every time I realized the enclosure had just gotten too dry....but I've got nearly 100, so its tough keeping track of every single enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes

Yes it is the same sling. Idk how it lost it's leg. It was missing one when he gave it to me. When ever I mist it it just seems to dry up really fast.
Oh this is the same one...This changes the picture considerably :wideyed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Good memory. I had not considered it was the same.