Avic. Avic. Puking? Eating its Poop?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Anyone seen this Avic. behavior? Should I be concerned. She has some white substance (might be poop) on her mouth. Her little mouth muscles are sucking/moving and it looks like it is coming out. This Avic. is about 3.5 to 4 inches DLS. It is active, though does not web much. It ate a large cricket this week, about 4 days ago. Any thoughts? Sorry about the pic quality. Its the best I could do. 20170111_203636.jpg

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I don't have much experience with mites, so don't quote me, but white substance on the mouth sounds like mites. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to point out exactly what it is, but ad far as I know mites are treatable. Mites may not even be the correct term. Hopefully someone gets in here soon.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, you should be concerned. Is it possible to get a clearer picture?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I don't have much experience with mites, so don't quote me, but white substance on the mouth sounds like mites. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to point out exactly what it is, but ad far as I know mites are treatable. Mites may not even be the correct term. Hopefully someone gets in here soon.
I believe you mean nematodes not mites. Mites accumulate around the chelicerae and carapace. Nematodes (worms) are found around the mouth.

From what I can see, this is normal regurgitation or maybe even poop. Nothing too worry about. I've seen my Avics do this. The OP is one of many hobbyists to start a thread expressing their concern over finding this. These threads are rarely confirmed as nematodes.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I believe you mean nematodes not mites. Mites accumulate around the chelicerae and carapace. Nematodes (worms) are found around the mouth.

From what I can see, this is normal regurgitation or maybe even poop. Nothing too worry about. I've seen my Avics do this. The OP is one of many hobbyists to start a thread expressing their concern over finding this.
Yes I did mean Nematodes, thank you. Although this seems strange to me, I've never seen it in any of my Avics. Perhaps it's just a bit of leftover cricket?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I thought there was no cure for nematodes. I'm not saying that's what this avic has, I'm just trying to clarify for my own understanding of nematodes.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yes I did mean Nematodes, thank you. Although this seems strange to me, I've never seen it in any of my Avics. Perhaps it's just a bit of leftover cricket?
Could be... I rarely witness it, even with all my Avics. There are many reasons why it goes unnoticed... Hard to see that behavior through webbing, for one.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I thought there was no cure for nematodes. I'm not saying that's what this avic has, I'm just trying to clarify for my own understanding of nematodes.
There's currently no treatment that I'm aware of. Luckily they are quite rare. I would assume it's even less likely to have an infestation in captive bred specimens.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
It worked a piece out and left it on the side of her enclosure. it still looks like some is down in her throat though.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Looks like poop to me... something similar has happened to my Avic before, a face full of poop, albeit a little less than yours. I seriously doubt it's anything to be concerned over.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yep, not nematodes... Nothing to worry about.