Avic avic? Poor pic..

Mez

Arachnoknight
It's HUGE and up as a wild caught pink toe, I know its a bad pic, but does the colour of hair indicate anything? They are bright white.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Mmm, presumably an adult female? Or will males still get this size before maturing? It's up at £50, but I could probably get it for £40, what do these normally go for over there? im not well up on my avics, and tbh never knew they got this size.
Cheers
Mrs

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You cant visually ID Avicularia apart from very few species. This is an issue that crops up time and time again on various different forums.

Mez

Arachnoknight
But surely some species don't have the white setae, therefore can rule them out?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But surely some species don't have the white setae, therefore can rule them out?
Certainly, although the amount that do have white setae can surly make visually ID'ing it as A.metallica incorrect and naively presumed.

The whole genus is mixed up due to people pairing up species believed to be the same. And TBH its all usually through visual misidentification.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Certainly, although the amount that do have white setae can surly make visually ID'ing it as A.metallica incorrect and naively presumed.

The whole genus is mixed up due to people pairing up species believed to be the same. And TBH its all usually through visual misidentification.
So if it is in fact A. metallica, that means I visually ID'ed it incorrectly?

The only way it could be incorrect, is if we in fact knew there was no chance of it being an A. metallica. So.... Not incorrect until proven incorrect.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So if it is in fact A. metallica, that means I visually ID'ed it incorrectly?

The only way it could be incorrect, is if we in fact knew there was no chance of it being an A. metallica. So.... Not incorrect until proven incorrect.
Did you say it could be A.metallica or did you say it was in your initial post? :?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It should be Avicularia cf. metallica. It is not even sure the real metallica is in the hobby so cf (confer) should always be used:)