Avic. avic is a scardey cat?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I tried to give him a meal worm (head crushed) and he looked at it.... felt it up a little bit.... then backed away slowly and ignored it entirely. He's probably just picky like some are with roaches, but i thought it was funny.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I tried to give him a meal worm (head crushed) and he looked at it.... felt it up a little bit.... then backed away slowly and ignored it entirely. He's probably just picky like some are with roaches, but i thought it was funny.
My elderly double Avic wouldn't take mealworms. I'm guessing she was fed only crickets her whole life (I got her when she was 7).

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My larger A. versicolor did a full lap of her enclosure bolting from a red runner that I placed on her webbing, quickest I'd ever seen her move :rofl::rofl::rofl:

She found it scurrying around on the cork background about an hour later, killed and ate it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
A lot of Ts wont immediately jump prey but if you leave it in they usually eat if they need to. I don't try to direct feed any of my Ts. I just leave them food/water and let them have at it. I do like to slip in later in the evening and see whos eating with the red light. :D

Likely your T was more concerned with you working with the enclosure/food than it was worried about the prey.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I've had my Avic for almost 2 months and it hasn't eaten either. I offer crickets and superworms.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the insight guys, helps a lot!

I've had my Avic for almost 2 months and it hasn't eaten either. I offer crickets and superworms.
My little dude is only 2.5" and eats like a beast. Only the second time hes turned down food with me

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Does it have easy access to water? Avicularia/Caribena species sometimes won't or can't come down for a drink, and if it is dehydrated, it will refuse food as well.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
Does it have easy access to water? Avicularia/Caribena species sometimes won't or can't come down for a drink, and if it is dehydrated, it will refuse food as well.
Yeah he has easy access to water. He climbs and moves around but doesn't eat.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Update on the weirdo: This morning he gingerly embraced a cricket. Stroked its head. Stood directly over it and lowered down in an almost lover-like hug, and proceeded to gently nudge the cricket out of its web. Idk what this dudes problem is.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Post a photo of the Avic with a good shot of it's abdomen. It's likely he just isn't hungry or maybe in premolt. If he is in premolt he wont leave the bugs laying around in his web.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Post a photo of the Avic with a good shot of it's abdomen. It's likely he just isn't hungry or maybe in premolt. If he is in premolt he wont leave the bugs laying around in his web.
I'll get one when i get home from college if i can. He doesnt leave his web much as it is, and his web makes the glass hard to see through

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No worries. I imagine yours is fine. I'd wait a week and then offer food again. My A.avics will plump up then not eat again till after they molt.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
No worries. I imagine yours is fine. I'd wait a week and then offer food again. My A.avics will plump up then not eat again till after they molt.
I was unable to get a useful picture of any kind. So I'm just gonna chalk it up to premolt? And try again next week, if theres no molt by then. He's pretty thick and usually takes crix in a couple minutes, so it wont be surprising. Been waiting for the little dude to molt since i got him, so im hoping.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Make sure it has access to water and let it do it's thing. It really sounds like premolt to me.