Avic avic (Guyana?)

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, some more species confusion going on here. Im getting an avic next week that is being sold as Avicularia sp. Guyana and after doing a search I've found several sites saying it is the same as an avic avic and some saying they are separate species. I know the avic genus isn't very defined but I'm hoping this species can at least be clarified for me.

Simply put, are Avic avics and Avic sp guyana the same species?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Hey guys, some more species confusion going on here. Im getting an avic next week that is being sold as Avicularia sp. Guyana and after doing a search I've found several sites saying it is the same as an avic avic and some saying they are separate species. I know the avic genus isn't very defined but I'm hoping this species can at least be clarified for me.

No they are not the same species.
You can clearly see the difference on those too pics:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Saturn, ANYTIME you see ANY tarantula with the letters "sp" in it, that means that animal has not been characterized by scientists, and thus what it is, is not known. If someone tells you they are the same as X, they are simply misinformed at best and a liar at worst. If they insist it's species X, ask for the primary literature describing the animal in question, the answer is - there is no paper for that T yet.

In some cases one knows the genus, in many cases one doesn't even know that, eg E. sp. Red are a great example of the latter.

In theory, the words following sp. typically indicate the region where the T was collected from, eg. A. sp. Kwitara River, H. sp. Columbia

HOWEVER, in practice unless you collected the animal itself you really don't know where it came from because exporters often lie as to the origins of the animal for a variety of reasons. This bad practice is quite rampant in the exotic trade.

Last edited:

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@louise f yes it is a very clear difference, google images just had a collage of random tarantulas so your pictures are very helpful. @viper69 okay thanks. I saw a few big sellers saying they were the same but I knew the best place to find the answer was on here

cold blood

Staff member
@louise f yes it is a very clear difference, google images just had a collage of random tarantulas so your pictures are very helpful. @viper69 okay thanks. I saw a few big sellers saying they were the same but I knew the best place to find the answer was on here
Google images always has random spiders mixed in with the one googled....its only useful if you already know exactly what you are looking for....not at all useful in identification.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw a few big sellers saying they were the same
They told you they were the same? Did you ask them if they are the same then why don't they have the same name ;) ? There's a lot of Avics from that part of S. America that look incredibly similar.

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@viper69 no one actually told me personally that they are the same but i read a few older threads on here and other forums. that's why I was so confused! Even big dealers like thespidershop.UK do this. On their site it says "Avicularia sp Guyana AKA Avicularia avicularia"

I just wanted to know 100% what I was dealing with. Not that the care would differ between them I assume but for peace of mind. And so I don't have an incorrect label:cigar:

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@viper69 luckily I am getting it from one of the sellers in the classifieds so I trust that he knows for sure what he has. But it gives me even more of an incentive to not buy from bigger sellers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 luckily I am getting it from one of the sellers in the classifieds so I trust that he knows for sure what he has. But it gives me even more of an incentive to not buy from bigger sellers.
There are plenty of people in BOTH groups that know "nothing" about what they are selling. Being on the classifieds doesn't mean they know more (I wouldn't be biased in that way at all), nor does being a retailer. It all comes down to the person.

Even the reviews on the classifieds are not always truthful. There was a seller here, I forget his name, had great reviews. I talked to people who bought from that person, and heard nothing but bad news. Why some people aren't honest is beyond me.

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
Yes I see what you are saying, well I trust the guy I'm getting it from. If I'm not sure after getting it I'll post pictures and maybe get a few good guesses on what it could be. I know it can't be identified 100% through pictures but ill at least get some opinions. Thanks @viper69

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes I see what you are saying, well I trust the guy I'm getting it from. If I'm not sure after getting it I'll post pictures and maybe get a few good guesses on what it could be. I know it can't be identified 100% through pictures but ill at least get some opinions. Thanks @viper69
Post some pics sure, just remember there's about 4 groups of Avic slings. Each group contains a few or more species, but as slings they look pretty similar, some virtually identical, even in person, if going by color and pattern. It isn't until Avics get significantly larger where their adult colors really start to come in and separate them out.

Someday scientists will get around to identifying that locality ( I HOPE ), until then enjoy its beauty.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
There are plenty of people in BOTH groups that know "nothing" about what they are selling. Being on the classifieds doesn't mean they know more (I wouldn't be biased in that way at all), nor does being a retailer. It all comes down to the person.
A few days ago I discovered that one of the dealers I purchased some T's from a few months ago had never used leg banding to ID pokies. I guess that explains why I now own an ornata intead of a rufilata :sour: