avic avic enclosure at draher park zoo

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
located downtown west palm beach florida..watcha guys think?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I quite like it, actually. I would probably keep the waterdish higher up, like on the wall, and probably not bother with that much floor space, but apart from that, it's pretty sweet!

super-pede

Arachnobaron
needs some more branches in the middle.It could also use some plants(plastic or fake)or some wood to hide behind.

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since its an Avic it could make some new webbing around those sticks, but since it hasn't done it yet, I'm guessing its not that happy ?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Definitely needs more branches. It hasn't even webbed?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, there are webs around the enclosure...

Also, those hanging thingies are sufficient for climbing and webbing.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks to empty for an avic. I would add some fake plants and a few peices of tube cork bark.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer

You may be right, but what are the odds that the spider was just added to this zoo?

No it is not. Those "roots" sprouting from the haven't even the right amount of surface area for this species to comfortably support itself on. They are more of an annoyance than anything else.

Now looking at at enclosure again, its actually quite pathetic. They have clearly prioritized the enjoyment of the crowd over the welfare of the animal. The enclosure is more suited for a terrestrial species. Which Avic species lives underground with roots sprouting from atop it's burrow? If they are going to put something on display for the education of the people, the least they can do is mimic the animal's environment correctly.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight

i agree that i think in the upper right corner of the glass above the T looks like a tube web..

my versi had plenty of spaces to hide and made a tube web right against the side of the glass so i could watch him

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You may be right, but what are the odds that the spider was just added to this zoo?

No it is not. Those "roots" sprouting from the haven't even the right amount of surface area for this species to comfortably support itself on. They are more of an annoyance than anything else.

Now looking at at enclosure again, its actually quite pathetic. They have clearly prioritized the enjoyment of the crowd over the welfare of the animal. The enclosure is more suited for a terrestrial species. Which Avic species lives underground with roots sprouting from atop it's burrow? If they are going to put something on display for the education of the people, the least they can do is mimic the animal's environment correctly.
Ever heard of hanging vines?

ANyways, if you read my first post, if the enclosure had less floor space, it would suffice just fine with what the spiders is offered.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think that setup sucks, its better to put an upright log in there to make it more natural.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd like to see an OBT or GBB in something like that.. but not an Avic.

Hmm

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Completely misses the mark thematically. It belongs in a lush, tropical setting, not a dungeon!

Also, needs more leaves and/or branches for climbing, webbing and hiding. I'd expect to see something like this in a pet store, not a zoo.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not bad, but for a zoo, its not that nice. Some plants, driftwood, vines or something would make it better as now most of the space is wasted. It would be cool with a gbb or something that would go mad webbing, but avics dont makes much more then a tube web when older. A regalis community with some bamboo or something vertically would be cool.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree,awesome cage..but setup for the wrong T.
I agree. Not bad for a ZOO. But definitely needs a bigger water dish or something to give it more humidity in there and obviously some branches down the middle.