avic avic dying

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
well, its been about a month and a half now since i've gotten my avic avic, Bach. ever since i've gotten bach, shes been very lethargic. hardly ever moving, never really webbed at all. she never ate, never seen her drink anything. for the past three days, shes been on the bottom of her enclosure just sitting there. so today i come home and shes at the bottom of her enclosure still, balled up. concerned, i gently stroke the back of her leg with a q-tip. doesnt move. i try again, same thing. i try again.... finally she moves and this time attempts to walk. only.. shes moving her legs, but shes not going anywhere. i watch her for a minute, shes awkwardly moving her legs but not moving an inch. i thought, uh oh... this isnt good. i had prepared an ICU awhile ago incase i ever ended up needing it... so i put her in there with the hopes she'll make a recovery.

i come to you all today with the hope that someone can come to me with any advice, anything at all that would help me out in this situation. i've always kept her enclosure dry. she has an awesome enclosure with side ventilation. what is going on? is all hope lost for my avic avic?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter

Seriously though, pictures of the T and the enclosure would help a lot.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Unfortunately I will have to agree with nicodimus 22. Without pictures we have little to go on. Where do you live avics require some humidity. If you're in a dry winter climate your T may be lacking moisture. I day this because I saw that you said that you kept her dry. Avics require more humidity than you or I during the winter, or in general. Dependent on how well ventilated your enclosure is you may need to add more moisture to your enclosure.....

We need more info to be of better help.

edit; you posted pics while I was responding,

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately I will have to agree with nicodimus 22. Without pictures we have little to go on. Where do you live avics require some humidity. If you're in a dry winter climate your T may be lacking moisture. I day this because I saw that you said that you kept her dry. Avics require more humidity than you or I during the winter, or in general. Dependent on how well ventilated your enclosure is you may need to add more moisture to your enclosure.....

We need more info to be of better help.
i live in southern california about a mile from the beach. i just assumed i didnt need any additional humidity due to our ambient humidity in the upper 70's.

i posted two photos, hopefully you guys can see them.

cold blood

Staff member
Flip her on her back and administer water droplets directly at the base of her fangs...drop by drop...it takes a while to drink a drop. Take a pic when its on its back plz.

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Flip her on her back and administer water droplets directly at the base of her fangs...drop by drop...it takes a while to drink a drop. Take a pic when its on its back plz.
I don't know if it's because she's been in her icu. But she's managing to put up quite a bit of resistance as I go to flip her over, whereas earlier when I first put her in the ICU she basically rolled over and didn't even attempt to get back on her feet. Should I just leave her as is or attempt to flip her again?

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
This happened with mine after a molt! I put her in icu but in her enclosure because if I touched her I might hurt her. She instantly crawled onto the damp towel and from there she completely recovered! If she's able to fight you when you flip her I agree that is a great sign! Keep an eye on her make sure the towel stays damp. I put two in and she would go back and forth as I wetted the paper towels down. Keep us posted! I would keep her in there until she maybe seems to hold herself up decently. That's what I did. Then maybe when you put her back have a damp towel in the enclosure if she wants more.

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
This happened with mine after a molt! I put her in icu but in her enclosure because if I touched her I might hurt her. She instantly crawled onto the damp towel and from there she completely recovered! If she's able to fight you when you flip her I agree that is a great sign! Keep an eye on her make sure the towel stays damp. I put two in and she would go back and forth as I wetted the paper towels down. Keep us posted! I would keep her in there until she maybe seems to hold herself up decently. That's what I did. Then maybe when you put her back have a damp towel in the enclosure if she wants more.
Just checked on her, she's back into a death curl position :/

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
I've never done it but the dropper idea may be a good last ditch effort. Also, with all the moving and contact she may be getting extremely stressed out. Has she molted recently?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thete seems to be nothing wrong with the enclosure. That white/gray thing is the waterdish i assume? If yes, that should have been enough moisture. The vents on the enclosure are quite big, did her waterdish need to be refilled often? If yes, the humidity needed to be higher. Maybe try the dropper method like ColdBlood advised. Or, if she resists, put her mouthparts and palps in the waterdish.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I agree... how long do you recommend I leave her in her icu?
Keep her in the ICU until you see stable, or what we would all consider generally normal, movement of her body when you disturb her. This isn't a process you rush! Take it hour-by-hour and day-by-day.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't use ICUs either. Acivs do not do well in stuff enclosures so I personally would not place one that is not well in a wet stuffy box. If it's weak flip it and try to give it some water. Though by doing this we are all assuming the issue it has is related to dehydration and it might not be.