Avic avic concerns

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Hello all, hope you're having a good day!

So today is the third day since I got my Avic Avic and I'm a little concerned about its current behavior. It doesn't want to leave its bark round! It won't eat, and I have yet to see it drink. The only thing I've noticed it do, is web a very tiny bit inside of its bark hide. Should I be concerned?

As for the enclosure, there are vents on each side for cross ventilation and none on top. I keep the substrate dry. There are fake plants covering all sides except the front. I do have a water dish in there.

I live in SoCal, and it has been raining. We're sitting at a varying 70-90% humidity here in Southern California.

Also, the way the pet shop kept her, they had her in a small circular container with Nothing but bark chips and vents on top. There were about 5 or 6 dead crickets in its enclosure and she was hanging upside down on the lid. I'll include a picture of it. Could this have an affect on its current behavior?

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice!

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
3 days isn't enough to settle in. It's behavior is 100% normal. However, I'd add more vent holes on the sides if possible.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So today is the third day since I got my Avic Avic and I'm a little concerned about its current behavior. It doesn't want to leave its bark round! It won't eat, and I have yet to see it drink. The only thing I've noticed it do, is web a very tiny bit inside of its bark hide. Should I be concerned?
How long has your Avic been in her new enclosure? If it's just been three days, I would not worry. They can take a while to settle in. (Mine hardly did any webbing for a whole month.)

I would offer food about once a week and try not to disturb her too much between feedings except to make sure her water dish is always full of clean water. (Note: if your tarantula is in pre-molt, she won't be hungry.) Remove any uneaten prey items.

It is rare to catch any tarantula drinking, but they do figure out where their water dishes are, and they do drink when they are thirsty.

As for the enclosure, there are vents on each side for cross ventilation and none on top. I keep the substrate dry. There are fake plants covering all sides except the front. I do have a water dish in there.

Also, the way the pet shop kept her, they had her in a small circular container with Nothing but bark chips and vents on top. There were about 5 or 6 dead crickets in its enclosure and she was hanging upside down on the lid. I'll include a picture of it. Could this have an affect on its current behavior?
Your enclosure looks OK to me, although more cross-ventilation would not hurt. If the second picture shows the pet shop container, that's not very good for an Avic. However, if she wasn't already sick, she should be fine once she settles into her new enclosure.

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the replies! Ok well that makes me feel better lol. I really worry since I know how sensitive avics can be. But I will give it some time!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
It is rare to catch any tarantula drinking, but they do figure out where their water dishes are, and they do drink when they are thirsty.
I was lucky enough to witness one of my T's walk over to its water dish and take a drink. I even got a picture of it. It was a little bizzare to watch.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Thank you for the replies! Ok well that makes me feel better lol. I really worry since I know how sensitive avics can be. But I will give it some time!
Ya nothing to worry about, everything looks good with your setup. Try your best to just completely leave her alone for about a week, and she should settle in nicely. How big is she anyways? If she(he?) is bigger than around 2 inches, she should be past the delicate stage.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was lucky enough to witness one of my T's walk over to its water dish and take a drink. I even got a picture of it. It was a little bizzare to watch.
It's kind of funny, because if you didn't know better (they don't breathe through their mouths), they look like they are trying to drown themselves.

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Ya nothing to worry about, everything looks good with your setup. Try your best to just completely leave her alone for about a week, and she should settle in nicely. How big is she anyways? If she(he?) is bigger than around 2 inches, she should be past the delicate stage.
A bit bigger than 3 inches. Not really sure if they're a female or male lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Typically their owners are more sensitive ;)

Not enough to settle in.

You mentioned you didn't observe it drink. Have you watched it for 24 hr every day yet? And if you haven't, what knowledge or info do you have that suggests 3 days is too long? Is it the size of the T, something you read etc? ;)

Last edited:

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Typically their owners are more sensitive ;)

Not enough to settle in.

You mentioned you didn't observe it drink. Have you watched it for 24 hr every day yet? And if you haven't, what knowledge or info do you have that suggests 3 days is too long? Is it the size of the T, something you read etc? ;)
So you're suggesting the only people that have seen them drink are watching them for 24 hours? If my questions or concerns are unwarranted, maybe it's because I don't know any better. Thanks for the the condescending tone very much appreciated! ;)

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
So you're suggesting the only people that have seen them drink are watching them for 24 hours? If my questions or concerns are unwarranted, maybe it's because I don't know any better. Thanks for the the condescending tone very much appreciated! ;)
Like it or not you're going to get condescending tones. Just an AB thing. The advice they give even when being condescending is better than you can get anywhere else though. ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
he means you dont know it hasnt drank unless youve been watching 24/7. by "new keepers are more sensitive" he means new keepers are nervous with their first spider. and interpret normal spider behavior as their pet dying.
viper is one of the top avic keepers on the boards btw.
i cant speak for him, but thats how i interpreted it.
;)

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Yeah I can deal with that. Thanks for the heads up ;)
Another thing I'd like to add. Viper has a tendency to come off that way if you're not used to the forum and the way he words things, but it's really not like that. Like venom also said, he gives super solid info, especially on avics.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not being condescending. I'm pointing out the lack of specificity in your statement for me when I read it, and thus caused me to ask you a question. There is no tone in my text. Please don't infer more than what is typed on a website. ;)

There's nothing wrong with your questions.

You wrote "I have yet to see it drink".

Being the objective person that I am, your words meant a few things to me:

1. You have watched it 24 hr/day, continuously-- And did not observe it drink
2. You video recorded it 24 hr/day, continuously, watched all the video-- And did not observe it drink
3. You didn't do 1 or 2, but whatever amount of time you did observe your T-- You did not observe it drink.

Those are the 3 scenarios I believe are the most likely to have occurred. In the age of cheap recording technology, and the fascination many of us have w/these interesting wild animals, I could easily see someone recording their cherished pet for endless hours hoping to catch it doing something they have never witnessed personally.

W/that understanding, which scenario is the one that caused you to write what you did (assuming it's one of the 3 I listed of course, it may not be of course)?

To answer your reply's question

I'm stating if scenarios 1 and 2 didn't occur, a person cannot accurately state what you wrote regarding drinking.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
he means you dont know it hasnt drank unless youve been watching 24/7. by "new keepers are more sensitive" he means new keepers are nervous with their first spider. and interpret normal spider behavior as their pet dying......i cant speak for him, but thats how i interpreted it.
;)
You definitely can in this case, 100% correct. :D

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Lol I get it I get it.... all of my concerns shouldn't be concerns at all and I'm worried over nothing. Thanks.

Years from now I'm sure I'll be on these boards helping out noobs with their concerns as well asking them if they're recording their avics 24/7