Avic Acting Strangely

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My avic is acting really weird. For about two months it has not left its web tunnel once... not even at night (I've checked). It first started hanging out there during her premolt, then she molted, and hasn't left once. She almost starved to death until I started placing the crickets directly into the web, and she also hasn't done anything with her old exo. It's been in there for 4 weeks! I'm thinking about tearing down her web because its getting filled with already eaten cricket balls and the old exo. What should I do!?

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You should leave her alone.

I would classify this as the normal behavior of a T that feels safe in the tube web it has constructed for itself. It also takes alot longer than 4 weeks for a T to starve itself. And it doesn't necessarily have to do anything with it's old exoskeleton or the leftovers from the crickets, sometimes they just keep them webbed in.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This doesn't sound abnomral to me either. I usually have to hand feed or place crickets in Avic's webs as well, nothing surprising there. If they get hungry enough they will go to the ground to seek food and water. That's usually the only time I see them near the ground is if they are hungry. I would say your avic is fine, just enjoying some privacy. Keep putting crickets and water in or near the web for it.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My A avic is doing just about the same thing you describe right now and my A biceogi did the exact same thing until one month after her molt.

Both constructed webs just prior to their molts, the biceogi molted first (avi still in pre-molt) waited a month and then started coming out looking for food, and in the interim, I fed her through the top of her web tube. Now the beceogi is out and about every day. I expect that after the avi molts, some time will pass and then she will resume coming out for food.

She'll be back:)

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My avic also finally made a web and not i never see it. The webs totally closed in except for a tiny section at the time where i have to place crickets. Its normal. It was great to see the web process with mine but i never see her anymore:(

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As said b4, all normal. My one Avic never came out it's web either. I would hand feed her through the top of the web. So at least I knew he/she was eating.