Avian Intelligence

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I stumbled upon that one myself once. We're seeing the end result. In each case, I suspect it took quite a bit of trial and error, before he figured out the best way to meet his objective.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I suspect it took quite a bit of trial and error, before he figured out the best way to meet his objective.
That's possible. But, cringing at attempting to recall the laws of probability, if it had no memory retention it would continue making errors. However, it clearly demonstrates both memory and basic analysis. Disregarding the sand entirely, it new that wouldn't work. With the first, it continued selecting one over the other, without memory retention we are probably talking several dozen attempts and fails until it got lucky. Then the third, it applied analysis, rejecting the light blocks even moving one out of the way.
So it recorded trial and error, recalled, and applied rudimentary analysis.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For most parrots, corvids, and related, about 3-4 year old level of intelligence. Some will have an eureka moment and the sky's the limit.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Anyone else remember Alex? The African grey parrot that understood enough English to try making up new words and once asked a question about himself without being told to?

The Snark

Old Timer
Essentially, here's the plan, Stan. I ride on your shoulder as long as I want whenever I want. Your world is bird-centric. You will serve me and my every whim. You will terrorize the dogs for my amusement and visit the kitchen every few minutes for tidbits. If you so much as get near my cage I will shred your ear and rip your hair out.
This will be your itinerary for the rest of my life and I plan to live a long long time.
My buddy here was a very well versed amateur ornithologist and had documented years of birds displaying all sorts of thinking, planning and memorization. This bird's cage companion was an expert and picking locks and opening doors. She would harass her companion to open the cage door for her.

1674514967460.png

Last edited:

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
Birds are very intelligent animas now scientists are saying crows are smarter than chimps which is mind blowing considering chimps are closely related to humans.

It makes you wonder if they'll ever advance into something similar to us in the future

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Deke:
I don't see what difference it makes,
Mrs. Bundy, crows or blackbirds. If
they attacked the school, that's
pretty serious.

Mrs. Bundy:
(with a superior smile)
I hardly think either species would
have the intelligence to launch a
massed attack. Their brain pans aren't
large enough for such...

Melanie:
(dialing)
I just came from the school, madam.
I don't know about their brain pans
but.......

- The Birds (1963)

The Snark

Old Timer
@Wolf135 I'm reminded of the ravens at 'the bloody tower' in London where one person who went to feed them got singled out by one bird. Upon sitting down and offering tidbits the bird would enter into what appeared to be a dialogue that would sometimes go on for a half hour. Then would give an affectionate peck and fly off.
This was prior to the birds being 'domesticated' and etc.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
In keeping with this thread.
Over at a friends house yesterday, out on the street waiting for him. His kid came out of the yard and a few moments later the family goose (local canine terrorizer) came out to follow him. Halfway down the block the kid noticed the goose and yelled PAI BAHN! (Go home). The goose instantly turned about and ran back into the yard.

(If you thing ornery stray dogs are a problem wait until you are faced off by a pissed off goose.)

The Snark

Old Timer
Remember the flightless bird that killed it's owner? Cassowaries are essentially small velociraptors.
In the NT of Aus. touring an animal habitat area. The same signs warning people of Estuarian crocs and where to not get out of your vehicle - warning people about the Emus. After getting a close look and sizing up those birds... I'll take a totally sour horse with a mean attitude any day.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Ravens are one of the most intelligent birds there is. People underestimate them. Usually they pick up on something real quick I had to do that for a high school biology project and studied them. They can even talk and sound like people.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Ive taken a couple of raptor classes before and it’s pretty cool I definitely recommend them. Worth every penny.
DFD235EA-CCEF-401B-8ACA-D58BD23E3C9D.jpeg

The Snark

Old Timer
My dad, a gardener working on an estate, took to feeding the jay birds. Always carried peanuts around. They first started to land nearby and wait for him to shell a nut, then more confident he would put the nut on his hat where they would land to snatch the nut.
BUT, they couldn't eat the nuts - right then. I discovered once they had a nut there was a woman on the estate that always kept a bird bath full. The birds would fly off, about 300 feet away on the other side of the main building and put the nuts in the bird bath. They would let them soak at least 24 hours. Then softened the birds would be able to swallow and digest them.

So, gain confidence and remember my dad and only him, wait for him to shell the nut, know of the bird bath, drop the nuts in, then know there was a time frame until the nuts were edible. At a guess that is pretty much along the lines of trial and error learning of a 2 year old+ toddler.

Last edited: