Auto mister?

SwingBlade

Arachnopeon
Hey folks, me again!

So because my heterometrus needs humidity, and because I'm gone so much, I'm thinking about getting an automatic mister. I put an infrared bulb in the tank with him and he has definitely seemed to respond well to that! The downside is that it dries things out *so* fast. And today, for example, I will have been away from home about 40 hours or so by the time I get home tomorrow evening. I don't want my boy to dry out!

Do others use such things? Are they recommended/suited for scorpion terrariums, or is there another solution for keeping things hydrated when you're away from home for extended periods regularly?

ETA: What other tricks are there to keep humidity up? I'm seeing people mention a gravel under-layer that is flooded? My concern is that it's pretty common with my jobs (automatically away for 24-hour stints and then often going away to my part-time straight away) that I will be home very little, and I want to make sure the dude stays healthy.

Last edited:

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
There are several ways to get moisture in the enclosure, but to keep it there: put a lid on it that has air holes on opposite sides.
The lid should cover about 85-95%.
Personally I warm up the water of the scorpion bath electrically/automatically to raise the humidity. Maybe a auto mist system also works, just make sure the scorpion is able to hide from the spray/rain.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
How deep is the substrate in the enclosure. It definitely shouldn't be thin or shallow enough to dry out in 1 day unless theres too much heat