Author experience: Orin McMonigle

brahn

Arachnopeon
I am finding myself looking for some good books on non-tarantula arachnids and invertibrates, and it seems the author Orin McMonigle has written books on just about every species I'm interested in.
My question to whoever has run into him before: Is his information generally good and accurate?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I just got done with his work, Millipeds in Captivity. I appreciated his style, solid, relevant information for someone desiring foundational understanding, succinctly written, and well formatted. He provides very good illustrations throughout. I also appreciated his correction of common misconceptions about the animals and related husbandry, and his personal experience rating of the difficulty of keeping various specimens. His work is seemingly focused on general husbandry and geared toward a broad audience, not an in depth scientific treatise such as, Biology of Spiders etc..

brahn

Arachnopeon
Sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for for amblypygi, assassin bugs, and scorpions. (and probably other geni in the future).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My question to whoever has run into him before: Is his information generally good and accurate?
Yes, definitely. In my opinion we are talking about one of the best 'pede experts (I'm focused on centipedes only when it comes to Myriapoda, so I obviously skip millipedes and the other inverts etc).

He's a user here, btw. The name: @Elytra and Antenna

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I am finding myself looking for some good books on non-tarantula arachnids and invertibrates, and it seems the author Orin McMonigle has written books on just about every species I'm interested in.
He also publishes an Invertebrate magazine. If it didn't cost so much to get Internationally I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have his books on Amblypygi and on Hercules Beetles and plan on buying a few others. I have found his books to be well-written, informative, and easy to understand. They are written for the hobbyist rather than for the professional entomologist or arachnologist, so you don't get bogged down in technical jargon or scientific terminology. (Not that the scientific terminology is absent - but it isn't poured on too thick for the layman to understand it.) He's pretty much the go-to guy when it comes to guides for keeping some of the less common inverts.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have several of his books, all very well written and extremely informative. Highly recommended author.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I respect McMonigle's knowledge and experience. Additionally, I value his approach to the hobby – he comes across (in both his writing and his public engagement through online forums) as promoting genuine understanding and appreciation for the animals in hobbyists' care. Rather than encouraging people to chase novelty for its own sake, he consistently promotes the charming and interesting qualities of "common" and native North American species. As far as I can tell, he's the real deal.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I have concurrent breeding stocks (no outcrossing) of a number of things still going after 20-30 years. I try to explain how I keep them and offer my experiences. One thing to keep in mind is the books are stapled or POD so they're not the same as a perfect, glossy book made overseas in a big factory. They look a bit more home-made. Some titles only exist in the dozens. I think most serious breeders enjoy them but some people don't like the books because they expect something different.

aphono

Arachnobaron
I have his amblypygi book. What every one said, including the author himself is on the track. One addition- he goes a bit more in depth than the average online response for various topics. Example- for that book, as for feeding he goes a little bit into which feeder species work, some not so much. That book was the starting motivation for the recent acquisitions of two roach species with plans to get a third species later this year. Before his book, I was basically aware of only crickets or B. lateralis as viable feeders.

I have just that one book because they are my only 'serious' interest but if I had more than a passing interest in the others, would definitely get his books on these also. I also subscribe to the magazine Orin puts out, they're enjoyable reads covering various inverts by various authors.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep. his info on all his great work,nuff said, and yeah i don't mind the paperbacks/staples etc. the best info you'll ever get is from him:)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
His books are basically the go-to for anything related to caring for invertebrates. I myself am trying to collect every single book that he has made.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
His husbandry books are the best out there, chock full of useful information and in depth descriptions, some of which you just can't find on the internet. :)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have concurrent breeding stocks (no outcrossing) of a number of things still going after 20-30 years. I try to explain how I keep them and offer my experiences. One thing to keep in mind is the books are stapled or POD so they're not the same as a perfect, glossy book made overseas in a big factory. They look a bit more home-made. Some titles only exist in the dozens. I think most serious breeders enjoy them but some people don't like the books because they expect something different.
You are too humble! I would trade a staple for the top notch HANDS ON experience. Any day. I appreciate my collection of Orin books; I have Millipeds (both), Mantids, Ghosts of the Trees, Beetles, Amblypygid, Vinegaroons; probably a few more. My go to books; hands down. I should probably get the new Crab book...….

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I've insisted our Insect Zoo library contain a multitude of Orin's books. They're all great, and as has been mentioned, you cannot beat hands on, successful experience. They're good stuff.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
To be honest the fact that these books are literally the backbone for the captive rearing of many of these species completely outweighs this. I wanted to try keeping vampire crabs but decided that it’d be better until I got your book on it. I applaud you and all of your efforts and contributions to this hobby, we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are without it.