Australia's new aquatic tarantulas

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
You read that right. For a while Australian T's have been some of the most aggressive, potent, and rather bland in the hobby.
Until now.
This was an article from 2015 about a recently discovered species in the Northern Territory of Australia.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ngridas-25000-tarantulas-20150623-ghv2ip.html
I remember seeing this on the news briefly but wasn't into the hobby much then.
A little more recently however, this article came out, with some stunning new pictures of the mystery diving T's

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10430354

So far this species is unnamed, and I seriously think this might be a whole new genus going by their appearance and behaviour.

There is a documentary that includes some info about them in a few days time so I'll have more information then, but wanted to hear what everyone thinks about such an awesome discovery

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Thanks for sharing, it's some pretty neat stuff, can't wait to hear more about them.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I think calling them aquatic is a bit of a stretch, they live in floodplains but do inhabit a burrow. Now the way they can trap air bubbles on their bodies to survive the flooding is interesting, but this is not a unique feature.

There are some other tarantulas that can do the same, H.gigas comes to mind.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
What an interesting behavior from an interesting species (that I'll probably never be able to view in my collection, Australian native wildlife export laws strike again :banghead:). Somebody down under should start captive breeding these so their is hope for a legal export in the future. Til then, I think I'm going to start growing out some H. gigas slings.

Thanks,
--Matt

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I think calling them aquatic is a bit of a stretch, they live in floodplains but do inhabit a burrow. Now the way they can trap air bubbles on their bodies to survive the flooding is interesting, but this is not a unique feature.

There are some other tarantulas that can do the same, H.gigas comes to mind.
I was aware of H.Gigas diving behaviour, but I don't think that begins to compare with a species that willingly spends weeks underwater in a flooded burrow. If this a new species from one of our current native genus this is even more astonishing because such behaviour is unheard of. However, going off the striking patterns on the legs I'd say it's a new genus which is more exciting. Considering their insane population figures their flood coping mechanism is definitely working for them. Hopefully soon a few of these will enter the hobby

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
What an interesting behavior from an interesting species (that I'll probably never be able to view in my collection, Australian native wildlife export laws strike again :banghead:). Somebody down under should start captive breeding these so their is hope for a legal export in the future. Til then, I think I'm going to start growing out some H. gigas slings.

Thanks,
--Matt
I'm hoping to see if I can get my hands on these soon. Going on what they are saying about suspiciously low sling numbers I might put in an offer to start a captive breeding project. Probably wouldn't sell any but would be worth it for the fun

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
You read that right. For a while Australian T's have been some of the most aggressive, potent, and rather bland in the hobby.
Until now.
This was an article from 2015 about a recently discovered species in the Northern Territory of Australia.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ngridas-25000-tarantulas-20150623-ghv2ip.html
I remember seeing this on the news briefly but wasn't into the hobby much then.
A little more recently however, this article came out, with some stunning new pictures of the mystery diving T's

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10430354

So far this species is unnamed, and I seriously think this might be a whole new genus going by their appearance and behaviour.

There is a documentary that includes some info about them in a few days time so I'll have more information then, but wanted to hear what everyone thinks about such an awesome discovery
Great article. 25,000 Aussie Ts.
No,no. Never run from salavering T. Face it. Don't show fear, that'll only provoke them. :rofl::rofl:
But hey, there's only 6 to 8 hrs. of vomiting:drunk:.
Plus you get to commune with wild pigs lol.
Yep. Sure. Send in the young researchers first .
Sorry. This article is a good one, but my brain's melted today.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I don't think that begins to compare with a species that willingly spends weeks underwater in a flooded burrow.
I am doubtful that they spend weeks at a time fully submerged underground, just doesn't seem feasible for them, let alone any tarantula to survive in those conditions, also odd that there are no pictures or videos documenting this behavior. This extremely long period of aquatic living was not mentioned in either article, perhaps you have another source? I would suspect that they can cope with flooding but doubt they can adapt to a fully aquatic lifestyle for such extended periods...even tarantulas need to come up for air.
However, going off the striking patterns on the legs I'd say it's a new genus which is more exciting. Considering their insane population figures their flood coping mechanism is definitely working for them.
Another inconsistency I noticed in the second article was the description image of the specimen with zebra like markings on all eight legs, looks a lot like a preserved E.murinus to me. Whereas in the video below, of the so called "aquatic tarantula" we see a much more typical, brown looking fossorial aussie tarantula. You'll have to forgive my skepticism, but it doesn't seem to add up, might be the reason this "super abundant" species still remains undescribed.

Hopefully we will see some clarification on all this soon.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I am doubtful that they spend weeks at a time fully submerged underground, just doesn't seem feasible for them, let alone any tarantula to survive in those conditions, also odd that there are no pictures or videos documenting this behavior. This extremely long period of aquatic living was not mentioned in either article, perhaps you have another source? I would suspect that they can cope with flooding but doubt they can adapt to a fully aquatic lifestyle for such extended periods...even tarantulas need to come up for air.

Another inconsistency I noticed in the second article was the description image of the specimen with zebra like markings on all eight legs, looks a lot like a preserved E.murinus to me. Whereas in the video below, of the so called "aquatic tarantula" we see a much more typical, brown looking fossorial aussie tarantula. You'll have to forgive my skepticism, but it doesn't seem to add up, might be the reason this "super abundant" species still remains undescribed.

Hopefully we will see some clarification on all this soon.
I can understand where you're coming from. Floodplains stay flooded for weeks on end and either article does not mention mass spider invasions in the surrounding area, which would be the case if the spiders could only manage an hour or so underwater and were forced to evacuate. My assumption is that they still have to come up for air but choose to stay in or near their burrows. Also add their large populations to the equation, you have 25k+ tarantulas living in a zone that when flooded, forces any natural predators well away from the tarantulas. One can assume that their numbers and concentration result from them waiting out the flood underground and therefore avoiding predators. One can also hypothesise that the lack of eggsacks and babies may be because insects take a long time to repopulate the plains once they dry out, so the lack of food stunts eggsack production.

As for stripes, I could notice vague stripes on the legs of the first spider picture in the first article, I'd assume the dullness results from premolt. Their legs are also thicker and their abdomens appear much rounder than our other natives which have rather rectangular abdomens.

The documentary next Sunday has footage of them underwater so I'll have an update after that.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Just picked up my first P Crassipes and I’m hooked on them! They’re my favorite tarantulas! I can’t wait to try and get one of these

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Great article. 25,000 Aussie Ts.
No,no. Never run from salavering T. Face it. Don't show fear, that'll only provoke them. :rofl::rofl:
But hey, there's only 6 to 8 hrs. of vomiting:drunk:.
Plus you get to commune with wild pigs lol.
Yep. Sure. Send in the young researchers first .
Sorry. This article is a good one, but my brain's melted today.
Whats worse in your opinion a p Crassipes or and OBT, in terms of aggression and danger

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Just picked up my first P Crassipes and I’m hooked on them! They’re my favorite tarantulas! I can’t wait to try and get one of these
Enjoy the Crassipes, they are a beautiful species but you are unlikely to get any other Aussie species unless illegally smuggling them. Our silly import/export laws prevent it

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Enjoy the Crassipes, they are a beautiful species but you are unlikely to get any other Aussie species unless illegally smuggling them. Our silly import/export laws prevent it
That’s sad lol, so is the p Crassipes considered rare?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Not rare but slightly more expensive here down under. Overseas though they are VERY hard to come by to my knowledge, so you were pretty lucky to get your hands on one. As for your earlier question, as much as I'd love to have an OBT I can't get them. I have seen how vicious other Phlogius can be (especially Strennus) and Ive heard numerous rumours that Phlogius have some of the strongest venom of any tarantula, but have not kept an OBT so can't compare.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Not rare but slightly more expensive here down under. Overseas though they are VERY hard to come by to my knowledge, so you were pretty lucky to get your hands on one. As for your earlier question, as much as I'd love to have an OBT I can't get them. I have seen how vicious other Phlogius can be (especially Strennus) and Ive heard numerous rumours that Phlogius have some of the strongest venom of any tarantula, but have not kept an OBT so can't compare.
That’s so awesome I’ve always wanted one and rarely saw anyone selling one so I knew I had to have one I may pick another one up since they’re rare, I picked up an OBT as my second t a couple of months ago and I rarely see him at all I’ve had no issues, the p Crassipes is so small yet so much more active and seems fearless, no has managed to sell OBTs over there? I heard something about foreign Ts being banned is that true?

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Also I saw your post about identifying Australian Ts, thanks it’s awesome! I was actually able to use it on a show I watched!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That’s so awesome I’ve always wanted one and rarely saw anyone selling one so I knew I had to have one I may pick another one up since they’re rare, I picked up an OBT as my second t a couple of months ago and I rarely see him at all I’ve had no issues, the p Crassipes is so small yet so much more active and seems fearless, no has managed to sell OBTs over there? I heard something about foreign Ts being banned is that true?
No foreign T's allowed here sadly. You'll notice the Crassipes progressively pick up attitude as they grow. An adult female Phlogius is quite a handful, but you should you see it outside every night since they are a Nocturnal terrestrial/fossorial genus

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I don't think it can be too terribly rare. I have 3 (Had 4 but sold one) and i can't afford much of the rare stuff. LOL

i bought S. crassipes though, but if i'm not mistaken the two are synonymous (somebody please correct me if i am wrong.)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I don't think it can be too terribly rare. I have 3 (Had 4 but sold one) and i can't afford much of the rare stuff. LOL

i bought S. crassipes though, but if i'm not mistaken the two are synonymous (somebody please correct me if i am wrong.)
Correct with synonym. To my knowledge the only Aussie T's outside our borders are from a shipment by Steve Nunn who legally managed to get a bunch overseas. I believed most of them died due to people not housing them correctly and therefore not many were left. If it's slings you have received they're more than likely bred from that original shipment, if they are genuinely Crassipes and not another Selenocosmia that's been labelled as such