Australian tarantulas

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
So just randomly thought to ask for fun and to start conversation! what Australian tarantulas do you own or what Australian tarantulas do you want to own?
I know there’s not a lot of Aussie keepers on her but hopefully there’s a few 🙂

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
I have 3
Phlogius - Red stents juvenile
Phlogius - Kuttabul juvenile
Selenotypus - Southern Nebo unconfirmed female I believe 🤞
So many more I want to get!

Heard there’s dwarf species there
I think there’s a couple, but a lot of them are huge lol

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm in Australia too. I'd like to get a Phlogius species one day. And maybe an obligate burrower (Selenotypus) too. Ive really developed an appreciation for our native tarantulas. In fact, these days, I'm checking out more Australian tarantula videos on youtube than videos featuring overseas species.

By the way, Courtney, were you ever a member of the Australian Tarantula Association? I was a member myself years ago. They had their own website but it all ended a long time ago. I discussed it on the Geographical (Asia Pacific) sub-forum.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Selenocosmia crassipes - which i absolutely love, extremely interesting species, and lightning quick - i’ve talked about it other threads but i created a small cave like space in its enclosure and it webbed up much of the outside but inside you can see multiple tunnel entrances and exits

it also usually hangs out within the cave entrance so if i angle myself right i am able to view it a lot of the time as well - honestly one of the enclosure i feel i really nailed too

i’d be really interested in learning more about and keeping different species from straya - wish they were more widely available in the American hobby

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
I'm in Australia too. I'd like to get a Phlogius species one day. And maybe an obligate burrower (Selenotypus) too. Ive really developed an appreciation for our native tarantulas. In fact, these days, I'm checking out more Australian tarantula videos on youtube than videos featuring overseas species.

By the way, Courtney, were you ever a member of the Australian Tarantula Association? I was a member myself years ago. They had their own website but it all ended a long time ago. I discussed it on the Geographical (Asia Pacific) sub-forum.
I never was! Sounds like it would have been good we need more people get into the hobby over here it’s super interesting, what YouTube videos are you watching I’m struggling to find Australian T videos!

Selenocosmia crassipes - which i absolutely love, extremely interesting species, and lightning quick - i’ve talked about it other threads but i created a small cave like space in its enclosure and it webbed up much of the outside but inside you can see multiple tunnel entrances and exits

it also usually hangs out within the cave entrance so if i angle myself right i am able to view it a lot of the time as well - honestly one of the enclosure i feel i really nailed too

i’d be really interested in learning more about and keeping different species from straya - wish they were more widely available in the American hobby
I hear they are hectic! It’s always good when they sit outside there burrows or just at the entrance! I could watch them all day I always stop and look into my enclosure see if I notice anything new or different tin the webbing or burrows!

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I hear they are hectic! It’s always good when they sit outside there burrows or just at the entrance! I could watch them all day I always stop and look into my enclosure see if I notice anything new or different tin the webbing or burrows!
i could see how they definitely could be however mine was v easy to house and i’ve found that, like most of my OW, you can mitigate negative behaviors by prepping the specimen prior to working with it - so usually, when i do tank maintenance it’s always during the day time, despite this i also turn the lights on in the room, i try to visually spot the specimen, i gentle tap the enclosure and i gently move the enclosure which all gives them ample time to retreat into their hide and hunker down

i do all of that before I ever open the enclosure - without fail

to date, I’ve never had mine show any hostility or defensiveness - in fact, outside of catching glimpses them at night i don’t see them at all and even when i am catching a glimpse they will bolt into a tunnel without me even blinking if I shift my weight as i’m standing or they sense some other minor disturbance

v much a “pet hole” but i love them

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yea that's the dilemma. There are so few Australian tarantula videos on youtube! There's someone by the name of Miss Phantom Fangs who posts a number of videos of her captive Aussie Ts.

These are some interesting videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeN6-LH6QgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uI53cMpvZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-YWYdwcexU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTerg_jqcCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUgEN1cYcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aud2gFs4a7Q

Also, I find I get decent results on youtube by using search terms like 'australian tarantula', 'phlogius tarantula', 'selenotypus tarantula', 'queensland tarantula' etc.

And there's also the documentary 'Tarantula - Australia's King Of Spiders.' I have the DVD though it looks like some people have uploaded segments of it to youtube.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I wanted to get a phlogius and Selenocosmia during my next purchase. Do they really create noticeable sounds.

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
i could see how they definitely could be however mine was v easy to house and i’ve found that, like most of my OW, you can mitigate negative behaviors by prepping the specimen prior to working with it - so usually, when i do tank maintenance it’s always during the day time, despite this i also turn the lights on in the room, i try to visually spot the specimen, i gentle tap the enclosure and i gently move the enclosure which all gives them ample time to retreat into their hide and hunker down

i do all of that before I ever open the enclosure - without fail

to date, I’ve never had mine show any hostility or defensiveness - in fact, outside of catching glimpses them at night i don’t see them at all and even when i am catching a glimpse they will bolt into a tunnel without me even blinking if I shift my weight as i’m standing or they sense some other minor disturbance

v much a “pet hole” but i love them
I try and do the same! Try and pick my moments and time before I just go poking around in there, my phlogius red stents is probably the one I see the most of, my kuttabul literally I saw out the night after I bought it home, I opened the lid to drop in a cricket and it bolted into its hide, next day it was sealed up and I haven’t seen it for a month, I put a pre killed cricket in the other day but it never ate it, the Selenotypus I just got yesterday she isn’t eating I think she might be pre molt or adjusting, the store said they tried to feed her on the 1/10 but there was a dead cricket in the tank when I got her so I don’t know if she ate anything then, she looks happy in her little web burrow though. We need someone to start an Australian tarantulas channel with all the feeding videos and stuff I would love that!

I was right she is molting! I didn’t know they could do it in there burrow like that though

Attachments

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Phlogius rubiseta x3, kuttabul, stents, goliath, sp. Dimbulah

Selenotholus sp. secret squirrel and Murchison

Selenotypus sp. champagne robustus

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
They are still all beautiful spiders! I want to try get a phlogius sp black at some point aswell!

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not a great deal to be jealous of there, nothing particularly special about those T's
I remember Steve Nunn saying that he reckoned that the Aussie Goliath was one of the largest T species in the world. Definitely special!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I remember Steve Nunn saying that he reckoned that the Aussie Goliath was one of the largest T species in the world. Definitely special!
Nah, the species named after himself, Phlogius sp. nunn, is the largest and most robust, they do reach 20cm, but not commonly

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I wanted to get a phlogius and Selenocosmia during my next purchase. Do they really create noticeable sounds.
Yes, the stridulation is very noticeable, very pleasing, a rich insectoid buzzing that struck me when I first heard it with the odd impression that the sound was coming from everywhere -- took a couple of seconds to focus on the spider as the source.