Australian Tarantulas in the U.S.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Every once in a while I think about the export of Australian tarantulas from Steve Nunn back in 2005/6 and wonder if any of them still survive today.

Does anyone still have any of these from the original export in the USA?

Are there any descendants of the original Australian export still being bred or have they pretty much died out?

Has anyone kept track of what species were imported in the USA and the year?

All I could find using the search here was Michael Jacobi was the exclusive importer back in 2006. I couldn't find a list of species imported though. Apparently from an old post I made, I bought one of each species offered for sale but I didn't keep the records of what I bought back then. All of mine died while they were still spiderlings unfortunately.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Every once in a while I think about the export of Australian tarantulas from Steve Nunn back in 2005/6 and wonder if any of them still survive today.

Does anyone still have any of these from the original export in the USA?

Are there any descendants of the original Australian export still being bred or have they pretty much died out?

Has anyone kept track of what species were imported in the USA and the year?

All I could find using the search here was Michael Jacobi was the exclusive importer back in 2006. I couldn't find a list of species imported though. Apparently from an old post I made, I bought one of each species offered for sale but I didn't keep the records of what I bought back then. All of mine died while they were still spiderlings unfortunately.
I never purchased any but maybe Chris Allen or Tom Patterson may have some or descendants of them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Steve Nunn used to stop by here. I asked him what he exported. He said did it a couple times, to 5 countries. There were Phlogius: crassipes, Eunice, Stent's, PQ113 (Blue), Goliath, and Black Presley. All have matured and been bred. I've acquired slings of all of those. They're out there. They don't grow as fast as many tropicals, which is why they're not seen regularly.

He also exported 2 or 3 species of Selenotypus, which are desert dwellers and much slower growing. I haven't seen slings of those yet.

He said that there's recently been discovered an orange species, and arboreals in the eastern rain forests, in at least two genera. Our job is to talk him into exporting those.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Wow that would be so cool to get your hands on one of those, maybe pair it with someone elses, but if they're that rare, man.

Before my time, but sounds very cool

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Not sure how available they are in the USA. Pretty common in the pet trade here in Australia. I think there was somebody breeding them in the USA a while back, apparently they (along with other animals like snakes) get smuggled from Australia to Asia and are then bought from Asia because import and export laws are more relaxed in Asia. If you find any you might want to check if they were brought in legally.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I just found my last pq113 female dead last weekend. I got two sacs from my females that were eaten within the first week of laying.

I still have sp. 'black' and sp. 'Stents' from Chris and Tom's breedings.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I still have sp. 'black' and sp. 'Stents' from Chris and Tom's breedings.
I've got a suspect male sp. "Black" that is an offspring of that lineage. If you have a female, would you like me to reach out to you when he matures?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Very interesting responses. What is "sp. black"? Is that the Phlogius sp. "Black Presley" Poec54 mentioned?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would love to own Australian species some day. Hopefully some from that day survive.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Rattlesnake tarantula sounds like a rattlesnake. (It looks like it does this noise with its fangs).
YouTube User: Detectinggold.com.au
Yeah they do use their fangs, whistling spiders also use their fangs to make a raspy whistle. turns out that the rattlesnake tarantula is likely selenotholus sp. (though not confirmed) and the whistling tarantula is phlogius sp.